Good gamepad?

_xxx_

Banned
I never used one on the PC, so which ones are good?

EDIT: need it for some occasional gaming on my media PC in the living room

Get anything.
They're all pretty much the same.
I'd get one with 10 buttons and 2 trigger.
I have a Logitech Wingman.

Anything = good.
My brother paid for a $100 gamepad and it sucks, it god GOOD reviews and all at the time.
I couldn't use it, the handling sucked. It was too big.
If you want a good gamepad then find one that fits your hands because no reviews out there can tell you this.
My cheaper gamepad is really comfortable and I can use it far better than my brothers crappy $100.

Maybe if he spent $300 on a gamepad it might have made it better than my one. :rolleyes:
I've got around 8 gamepads sitting unused, all ranging from $30 - $100, my Logiech Wingman in my experience is the best I've used and it fell in the middle range at the time of purchase.

Another thing, before purchase actually use the gamepad. It would be a pita if you paid $600 for a "good" gamepad and your fingers/thumbs had trouble reaching a button.

_xxx_ said:
I want a good one though, not "anything"...

I had the cheapest one for something like 10€ just to play Fifa and Bloodrayne.

I am not sure what or how the more expensive ones are different but I am more or less satisfied with it.

After reading a few reviews I'm thinking about Logitech Wingmen Wireless 2, seems to be nice and not very expensive. And it will fit my not really huge hands without problems. And wireless is perfect for the living room.

I'm really liking the Xbox 360 controller; tight action and great feel. At 40 Euros/dollars it's a steal. I can't vouch for the wireless version but I'd recommend the wired version anyway since it's lighter. Been having tons of fun with it on NFS: Most Wanted and I even reinstalled an old favourite of mine, X-Wing Alliance, which I've been meaning to play ever since my old joystick went to videogame heaven.

I would consider the XBox360 gamepad for the PC, it's a good pad which borrow many things from the Dreamcast and a few from the PS2, and should have every feature/button you would ever need.

That said you should try the pads before you buy them.

Ingenu said:
I would consider the XBox360 gamepad for the PC, it's a good pad which borrow many things from the Dreamcast and a few from the PS2, and should have every feature/button you would ever need.

That said you should try the pads before you buy them.

But what about the software? AFAIK ForceFeedback doesn't work when you use it with the PC?

I was just gonna pick up one of those converter-thingies from Radio Shack and steal one of my kids wireless Gamecube controllers. :oops:

Another nod from me for the 360 controller. I bought one for my PC since MS is making a big push to standardize gamepads for PC gaming. The controller for the console itself is physically identical to the one packaged for the PC, so feel free to buy whichever is cheapest or available and you can d/l the drivers from MS' update site.

I never tried or even seen in real life the x360 controller but it really looks nice. Maybe I'll get it though it's expensive.

Also, tried and approved : using a Playstation 2 to USB converter. An old PS1 controller or a cheap BigBen PS2 controller does well the job.

John Reynolds said:
Another nod from me for the 360 controller. I bought one for my PC since MS is making a big push to standardize gamepads for PC gaming. The controller for the console itself is physically identical to the one packaged for the PC, so feel free to buy whichever is cheapest or available and you can d/l the drivers from MS' update site.
Just to make sure since it seems weird and I ain't up to speed on things X360, I can buy a 360 controller and plug it into my PC without any adapter? :-|

digitalwanderer said:
Just to make sure since it seems weird and I ain't up to speed on things X360, I can buy a 360 controller and plug it into my PC without any adapter? :-|

Correct. The xbox360 wired controllers are USB.

_xxx_ said:
Oh yes, that's the one I meant, not the Wingman. So I guess it'll be either that or the XBox360 wireless (about 10€ cheaper).

Thanks!

The wireless 360 controllers won't work with pc afaik.

Back