Going around company's net restrictions

Miksu

Regular
Friend of mine works in a large company which, it seems, has blocked great many different net-sites. For example Gmail is blocked, can't figure out why. It seems that they have to set their net browser to use some particular proxy before they can acces any net-sites at all. Proxy is automatically configured by some cgi.

Just wondering if there could be any ways to go around these restrictions? I don't know the technic behind, only that it is up to the proxy.

Virtual Private Network

As in log in to the home PC with a remote terminal & access the internet from there, though I'd be surprised if a big company would leave that kind of capability available if they are onto it enough to block websites.

My work has somehow managed to disable right click on our thin-client terminal server accounts o_O
They finally have flash activated -it was a pain in the ass not having it since we have to access the company website a lot in our normal work & guess what is on that site...

You could set upa proxy on your home machine that would accept a connection from his work ip and serve him the sites. That sort of thing is hard to block unless they block his home ip in their firewall/proxy.

Just use remote desktop. Assuming they haven't blocked that somehow. I use it every day. Ever since I discovered how much VNC sucks in comparison. Gotta admin my emule and auction sentry.
:) If you have a router at home there's only one port to forward (3389).

Many companies block remote desktop. Luckily mine doesn't. I agree that VNC is slow. It does have it's uses though since I don't always want to have the desktop be resized or to force the remote system to be locked.

Back