*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

one of the most impressive stuff with respect to graphics, is the looks of the gorgones (IMO).

In close up, there snake skin looks very real and ...ew....snaky!?

That really surprised me when I first saw it. Usually snake skin get done all wrong.

Now if only they could get the scales to move realistically. But that's probably a bit too much to ask.

one of the most impressive stuff with respect to graphics, is the looks of the gorgones (IMO).

In close up, there snake skin looks very real and ...ew....snaky!?

Agreed. I think they're the best enemy model in the entire game. The way they're animated, especially the coil attack, looks great.

And that skybox right before the last boss, gorgeous!

Yep, it's truly magnificent to look at and
Gaia approaching in just makes everything all the more epic
Things I really loved about this game are the per object motion blur and the bloody but graceful combat animation. They more often than usual make fights look so smooth and CG-ish. Just look at the sequence when Kratos execute the fire Cerberus, the blur, fluent movements, the DOF and the lighting are simply perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://kotaku.com/5501524/prince-of-persia-has-lost-players-to-god-of-war-says-ubisoft

The animation director for Prince of Persia says the game's suffered from a migration of players away from it and to the God of War series, and says his game's tamer visuals, particularly death animations, are the reason why.

"When we make questionnaires and we ask, 'what did you play in the past?' The answer's 'Prince of Persia'. 'What do you play now?' 'God of War'. 'Would you play Prince of Persia again?' 'No, it's not hard enough',"

So sorry mate, wasn't thinking for a moment.

No worries. I'm not particularly sensitive to them but it's slightly different for this game!

Didn't turn up this week. Yakuza 3 did instead. By my figuring it'll be here next Monday. I'm excited!

Oh dear. My Warrior Within-sense is tingling, and it's not the pleasant kind of tingling sensation I'm afraid.

Heh, to build on GoW3's momentum, Sony plans to organize an adult only event to showcase a couple of mature rating games:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/25/adults_only_ps3_event/

The "Otona no PlayStation 3" demo event will be held this weekend, at Yamada Denki in Ikebukuro (Tokyo) on the 27th and Joshin Denki in Nihonbashi (Osaka) on the 28th.

The name translates to "Adult's PlayStation 3." Game set for display include Yakuza 4, Fist of the North Star Musou, Bioshock 2, and God of War III. The first two have been rated D by CERO, meaning they're for 17 and up. The last two have CERO's harshest rating, Z, or 18-and-up.

Officially, the event targets those 18-and-up, and Sony says it will be checking IDs.

I think the Japanese may faint while playing GoW3.

I think the Japanese may faint while playing GoW3.

I seriously doubt that. The Japanese aren't exactly strangers to gross-out material. Regardless if it's Manga, Anime or life action films, there's no shortage of seriously messed up stuff in Japanese entertainment.

That's true, but they are seldom explicit from my limited exposure. They usually leave it up to the audiences' imagination to convey the horror (like The Ring).

... which reminds me of the PSN horror game. How's that one ? (Can't remember the name). I heard good things about it.

That's true, but they are seldom explicit from my limited exposure. They usually leave it up to the audiences' imagination to convey the horror (like The Ring).

... which reminds me of the PSN horror game. How's that one ? (Can't remember the name). I heard good things about it.

True, generally speaking they tend to scare with what they don't show. Which, personally, is a lot scarier than Saw kind of movies, which i do not find 'scary' at all actually.

Limited exposure indeed. The popular Asian ghost stories are only the tip of the iceberg. Just watch any film by Takashi Miike (except for that weird Japanese Western he recently did) or do a google search for "Guinea Pig". The only nation that can compete in the horror sector is France

He's the exception though. I would think most Japanese don't watch his films. But yes, may be his fans will love GoW3.

Limited exposure indeed. The popular Asian ghost stories are only the tip of the iceberg. Just watch any film by Takashi Miike (except for that weird Japanese Western he recently did) or do a google search for "Guinea Pig". The only nation that can compete in the horror sector is France
yes the japanese have for many years made a high percent of gory films, even back in the 50s watch some samurai films, decapitations,limbs being cut off with blood spurting out, compare this to what was in the west at the time when the guy would just fall down dead clutching their chest
France? only in the last decade. In the west it started in Italy from 60s and the US with herschell gordon lewis

Hmm... are there a lot of gore fans in the gamer crowd ? (or at least a significantly higher percentage compared to non-gamers). That would explain why publishers go for gore unapologetically.

Blood & Gore sells...to the point where games without blood are given a "that's sorta fishy" look.
Its really sad actually.

Back