God of War 2 - March 13th

:oops: I cannot get over how they do some of this stuff... Kratos, for example, in the E3 trailer has his shadow casting onto the giant cyclopse. It looks great, and even looks better considering a lot of so called next gen games don't even do dynamic shadows onto dynamic objects. The game has killer art, great animation, and some eye catching effects. I am not too much into smashing fighters but this game has always interested me, especially with its contacts with mythology, but the content is a little brash for me. Still, killer game. Slap HD on it and call it next gen! :smile:

I just played through some checkpoints later in the game (I didn't delete all saves) and it seems I was wrong - for some reason I remembered the game and its mood as generally gray. Though I still can't say I am amazed by graphics.

It´s ok to standing out from the crowd and having your own view on the world, however you shouldn´t be surprised if alot of the people on this board won´t give your posts any real value since your obvisouly on the extreme scale of not being right.

It´s ok to standing out from the crowd and having your own view on the world, however you shouldn´t be surprised if alot of the people on this board won´t give your posts any real value since your obvisouly on the extreme scale of not being right.
I did not intend to troll or anything. I'm going to buy God of War 2 (probably when it goes Platinum), because the original game had excellent system and soundtrack and these two will definitely be very good in the next one, too. But now that I have had Xbox 360 for several months and had a chance to play on PS3 (I live in Europe), it's really hard for me be really amazed by the game's graphics, even if Sony are squeezing 101% of PS2's power. I'm not a big fan of the game's art direction either (and maybe that's my problem). Though I have to say that snow weather looks better than in Lost Planet.;)

Propably another great achievement from Sony. I am surprised by the talent and quality Sony teams have shown on the PS2.

They have raised theirselves to the top developers in my mind.

I did not intend to troll or anything. I'm going to buy God of War 2 (probably when it goes Platinum), because the original game had excellent system and soundtrack and these two will definitely be very good in the next one, too. But now that I have had Xbox 360 for several months and had a chance to play on PS3 (I live in Europe), it's really hard for me be really amazed by the game's graphics, even if Sony are squeezing 101% of PS2's power. I'm not a big fan of the game's art direction either (and maybe that's my problem). Though I have to say that snow weather looks better than in Lost Planet.;)

Eventhough games like armalyte, delta or for example Pole Position can be done on the back of a cereal box today i still think all 3 games had incredible graphics and well they still have. God of War compared to next gen games? i´m not sure it´s a comparison thats worthwhile and in some cases (if we don´t compared resolution and other tech stuff) not good for next gen at all :)

I still remember the feeling of disbelief and awe when i saw GOW the first time, eventhough we have seen lots of impressive stuff on the PS2 the effect was impressive. I´m hoping to get that feeling from the next gen, but i have a hunch that it wont come fast and maybe it will require a Big Screen and HD resolution to really impress, GOW 3 maybe? :)

God of War is amazing in visuals. Only other games that has wowed me this much on the PS2 was sotc and the jak games.

For a PS2 game God of War 2 looks GREAT.

For a PS3 game it looks very, very poor.

Quite frankly, I find it difficult to be interested in any last gen game now that the PS3 games are looking so good.

For example, compare God of War 2 on the PS2 to what we have seen of Heavenly Sword. There is no comparison. The PS3 is just so powerful it can produce tremendously better graphics than the PS2.

I'm not saying God of War 2 won't be a great game, but I'm having a hard time getting excited about it.

Quite frankly, I find it difficult to be interested in any last gen game now that the PS3 games are looking so good.

For example, compare God of War 2 on the PS2 to what we have seen of Heavenly Sword. There is no comparison. The PS3 is just so powerful it can produce tremendously better graphics than the PS2.

I'm not saying God of War 2 won't be a great game, but I'm having a hard time getting excited about it.

Well personally I can enjoy a good looking game according to the console it is on. So if GoW2 was on a PS3 and looked like that I wouldnt have been interested. But I still feel impressed and amazed and most likely I will enjoy that one on my PS2. I get the most out my console's value.

If only there were more games of this quality in the PS2 pipeline. PS2 dev support will drop off just when it reaches its prime.. what a pity. I dont remember the first game looking quite as good as this, even though it was amazing in its own right. For example the model for Kratos looks extremely detailed (self shadowing too?) and the framerate looks smooth even with the eye popping CG like sequences going on.

Im wondering why of a Sony game with such a fan following wasn't developed for the PS3 instead of the PS2. While the PS2 has a bigger userbase, GOW2 would have had a bigger impact on the PS3 in terms of mindshare.

Irrespective of rendering, GoW art direction, sound, voice acting, gameplay, variety of activities, and overall "flow" is better than 99.99% of next-gen titles. I hope HS = GoW with PS3 graphics in martial arts setting.

You can dress up an ugly women in sexy clothes all you want, but next-gen rasterization doesn't equal next-gen gameplay.

Personally, I am bored to tears by the distopian/sci-fi/alien invasion/everything is rubble "art" direction.

Im wondering why of a Sony game with such a fan following wasn't developed for the PS3 instead of the PS2.

Well, stick your fingers firmly in your ears shouting "La-la-la-I-can't-hear-you" when people like Carmack and Gabe Newell tell you that the PS3 is a bitch to develop for, then keep wondering why one of Sony's own studios decided to capitalize on their excellent PS2 engine and content pipeline, instead of switching quickly and easily to the "much better tools this time, honest!" PS3.

I am really impressed by these vids. However I would not trade it for GRAW or Lost Planet. That era (XB/PS2) is over.

Well personally I can enjoy a good looking game according to the console it is on. So if GoW2 was on a PS3 and looked like that I wouldnt have been interested. But I still feel impressed and amazed and most likely I will enjoy that one on my PS2. I get the most out my console's value.
Same with me. I still think some N64 and Dreamcast games look awesome because I keep in mind the date it came out and the hardware it runs on.

Well, stick your fingers firmly in your ears shouting "La-la-la-I-can't-hear-you" when people like Carmack and Gabe Newell tell you that the PS3 is a bitch to develop for, then keep wondering why one of Sony's own studios decided to capitalize on their excellent PS2 engine and content pipeline, instead of switching quickly and easily to the "much better tools this time, honest!" PS3.

So you think that the PS2 is less of a bitch to develop for than the PS3? Or are you trying to say that Sony's own (and of the best in pure technical terms based on their work in God of War) studio can not develop games for the PS3?

Same with me. I still think some N64 and Dreamcast games look awesome because I keep in mind the date it came out and the hardware it runs on.

Yep, I`m really tempted to import some of those new vertical scrollers for my jap. Dreamcast. I recently saw a vid of a game that had mindblowing explosions, but I can`t remember the name.

So you think that the PS2 is less of a bitch to develop for than the PS3? Or are you trying to say that Sony's own (and of the best in pure technical terms based on their work in God of War) studio can not develop games for the PS3?

It probably was more of a bitch to develop for, but the Santa Monica crew already have a stellar engine for it, the public are still grabbing PS2s off the shelves, and it made perfect sense to target God of War 2 again for the PS2. It's capitalizing on their hard work for the past 5 years... if I were them, I'd even make another game God of War for the PS2 (although it would be probably a stretch to ask full price for it in 2008).

I have no doubts that the team in Santa Monica will be able to master the PS3, they are probably hard on it right now while we're wasting our time on forums :) But had GoW2, with the same release date, been targeted at the PS3, it would probably damage the franchise beyond repair.

Back