Gears textures

D3B

Banned
I noticed the game has the same thing all over everthing to give it a good illusion, these little swirly lines packed close. Is that just the good swirly art that makes it look good, or is it tech based?

Im not too sure what your trying to say here :???:

Gears uses texture streaming tech hence why the game looks great

Im not too sure what your trying to say here :???:

Gears uses texture streaming tech hence why the game looks great

Basicly everything has these little swirl lines, I am thinking its just good art because why else would it be on everything.

So if you just use swirly little lines packed together you should get good texture illusion, thats all.

Detail texture? UT, Halo and Crackdown have the same high detail look when you get really close.

Detail texture? UT, Halo and Crackdown have the same high detail look when you get really close.

It looks worse close up, thats what really made me notice the swirls. Get close on
just about anything in that game and you will see them.

A detail texture is a very small, fine pattern which is faded in as you approach a surface, for example wood grain, or imperfections in stone. When you import a detail texture, you need to set its Scale value to a small number (typically 0.25nm) to specify its scaling relative to whatever texture it applies to.

Detail textures and macrotextures modulate (multiply) the surface they're applied to. By modulating, they have the ability to scale the surface's brightness up or down. Colors with RGB brightness values from 0-127 darken the surface; 128 has no effect; and 129-255 brighten the surface. Therefore, when drawing microtextures and macrotextures, it is important that you design them with their brightnesses in the proper range so they affect surfaces naturally. If a detail texture's average brightness deviates too far from 128, then surfaces will appear to brighten or darken as you approach them.
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Detail_Texture

I don't have gears anymore so I can't check to make sure but from what you describe it sure sounds like detail texturing.

A detail texture is generally a seamlessly repeating greyscale texture that modulates the color texture to give the illusion of more details than there actually is. Often it is little more than random noise.

Detail texturing takes advantage of peculiarities with the human eyes in that we have many more light intensity sensors than we have color sensors in our retinas. So a high-resolution detail texture which does not occupy a lot of storage space gives as good or nearly as good visual quality improvement than a very high resolution full color texture would.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fairly sure it's detail texturing. The first time I really noticed it was inside one of those ruined houses, walking up to the fireplace. The game has some pretty low res textures here and there, but appear decent from the detail texturing once you get up close.

Have a look on the bricks on the right:
http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/54411/Gears-of-War/

A lot of the architecture has that fine grain detail texture, but during normal gameplay it's not as immediately apparent with all the framebuffer effects going on and whatnot.

When I played Gears I remember going up close to a brick wall then zooming in with my gun, and the bricks were ultra blurry...
I even waited thinking it would further stream the texture but nothing happened.
I remember being disappointed in gears after that :(
I'm guuna check that spot on the PC version when it releases...

When I played Gears I remember going up close to a brick wall then zooming in with my gun, and the bricks were ultra blurry...
I even waited thinking it would further stream the texture but nothing happened.
I remember being disappointed in gears after that :(
I'm guuna check that spot on the PC version when it releases...

Do you mean zooming in with a scope? If so, gun scopes aren't microscopes. If not, then maybe I'll try the same thing and see if its common occurence.

Back