Gears Tactics @2020-04-28, @2020-11-10 [PC, XO, XBSX|S, XGP]

Gears Tactics has Gone Gold for Xbox Consoles – New Achievements Boost Gamerscore to 1400
  • Gears Tactics will be released for Xbox consoles November 10 alongside the launch of Xbox Series X|S and is now available for pre-download (Size: 28.26GB)
  • Gears Tactics has gone gold for Xbox consoles – celebrate with the new Achievements list worth 1400 total Gamerscore
  • Pre-order Gears Tactics for console or play with Xbox Game Pass before December 4, 2020 and receive the Thrashball Cole Character Pack

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10/07/gears-tactics-gone-gold-new-achievements/

Reactions: Jay
Wonder if they bothered or felt there was a benefit to implementing VRS tier 2 for this game from tier 1.

Verge has an interview article on Gears Tactics @ https://www.theverge.com/21528481/gears-tactics-xbox-series-x-s-vs-one-pc-coalition-interview

Series X: 4K 60fps (choice of 60 or 30 fps for cinematics for personal tastes)
Series S: 1440p 60fps
One X: 4K 30fps or 1440p 60fps
One S: 1080p 30 fps

Gears Tactics will run at 4K / 60fps on the Xbox Series X with a choice of 60 or 30fps for the cinematics — “not for any performance reason but more for just personal taste,” McRae says. The Series S will run the game at 1440p / 60fps, while the One X will have the option for 4K / 30fps or 1440p / 60fps, and the One S is at 1080p / 30fps. McRae says each version is tuned individually for each console beyond simple parameters like resolution. “I look at the hardware, look at all the different settings I have available under the hood in the engine, which is hundreds of things I can tweak and tune or optimize, and then it’s just balancing them all to get the best picture quality and hit a performance target.”

The Series X will obviously run Gears Tactics better than the other consoles, but one big question I had was the relationship between the Xbox One X and Series S versions. The Series S is a next-gen console with similar CPU and SSD advances as the Series X, but unlike the One X, it doesn’t target 4K resolution, despite a GPU that’s roughly comparable in raw power. Given that both consoles can run the game at 1440p / 60fps, with an extra 4K / 30fps option on the One X, which is the better version?

“That’s a good question — it is better on the Series S,” says McRae. “It’s visually better — same resolution, same frame rate, but the CPU is so much better in the Series S and the Series X that we have a lot more ability to just draw more stuff. Even though the GPU is responsible for drawing, we still have to get it there off the CPU, and on the Xbox One X you’ll see that the visual quality is not quite as high as it is on the Series S in the performance mode.”

Back