Gaming Laptop needed

Not that I disagree, but the vast majority of laptops have been coming with 5400RPM drives. While you will certainly notice the speed boost (and for the better), the higher aerial density of a laptop drive at least partially offsets the lesser rotational speed.

Good point. It's just a matter of weighing which of the two is more important then. I will say this in support of getting a faster drive rather than a larger drive though: one can always add additional storage by means of an external hard drive; you can't add extra speed though ;)

Re: Dell
I was an onsite tech for Dell (outsourced) up until a few months ago.
The horror stories are correct, at least in part. When things go wrong, they really go wrong. If you get foreign tech support be prepared for multiple holds, unnecessary diagnostics, miscommunication, and worse. I don't even want to get in to the amount of horror stories I've heard about Dell's "Indian tech support" from angry customers. Suffice it to say that almost every customer I visited had a negative experience with foreign phone support.

However, when things go right it can be a rather pleasurable experience. Assuming the customer's first contact with support goes well (i.e. doesn't piss them off), the problem is properly diagnosed, the part ships out and arrives on time, and the tech that receives the service call is able to schedule for NBD as the warranty "promises" (fine print states NBD service is based on the availability of technicians in your area, so not actually promised), it's doubtful one could have a better experience getting their PC repaired under warranty. Granted, that's a lot of things that need to go well...

Bottom line: if you buy a Dell do yourself a favor and buy an XPS or get the Gold support. If you do either of those things, you'll be speaking to someone in the U.S. more often than not, hold times are shorter, and the techs aren't reading from a script 99% of the time like their foreign counterparts. If you can't afford an XPS system or Gold support, be sure to file all support claims online. At least then you eliminate hold times and don't have to deal with thick accents.

Oh, and if you buy a laptop, get the accidental damage coverage. Chances are something's going to break on your laptop that wouldn't be covered by warranty otherwise. Either you'll spill a drink on it, rip the AC cord out and break the jack, drop it and break any number of components, or someone else will do it for you.
If I were going to buy a laptop, I don't think there's another company I'd buy one from, based on the standard NBD on-site warranty and available accidental damage coverage. Even though I've been a PC tech for many years and can fix any PC I come across, I would never buy a laptop without a decent warranty to back it up. Parts are just too expensive. Crack a screen or fry a motherboard and you may as well buy a new one.

are there any dx10 capable laptops out yet? i heard they were still a ways off. or was that ATI/AMD versions only?

i'd hate to get a laptop at this point that wasn't dx10 ready.

are there any dx10 capable laptops out yet? i heard they were still a ways off. or was that ATI/AMD versions only?

i'd hate to get a laptop at this point that wasn't dx10 ready.
:?: :???:
Albuquerque said:
Just for my own curiousity, I hopped on Dell's website real quick and assembled pretty much a top-of-the-line Inspiron 1520.

Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz
2Gb of ram
160Gb 7200RPM drive
8x CDRW / DVDRW
8600GT video
1680x1050 LCD
3 year protection (lojack, accidental damage, next-day service, etc)
B/G/N wireless
Bluetooth 2.0
Integrated webcam
High-cap battery

Highly doubtful. The 8700M GT would be a better bet, but still unlikely.

Did an interview with one of the producers concerning the title while at E3. Absolutely the most impressive game displayed period. They had the title running extremely smooth on a e6300, 2 gig ram, 8600 @ 1280x960 using what looked to be a 20" Dell. Everything was well defined from lush vegetation, character models, to animations and explosions.

Crysis at E3, post 104 from this thread: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42486

A bit more resolution would likely require a bit of detail tuning, but I don't forsee it being an issue. If you don't agree, save a few bucks and buy one of the slightly-less-resolution monitors like 1440x900 or whatever that oddball size is.

Crysis at E3, post 104 from this thread: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42486

A bit more resolution would likely require a bit of detail tuning, but I don't forsee it being an issue. If you don't agree, save a few bucks and buy one of the slightly-less-resolution monitors like 1440x900 or whatever that oddball size is.

The question was whether or not the game would run on a 1680x1050 panel, which has a resolution ~ 40% higher than that of the tested resolution. A mobile part with a 128-bit memory controller isn't going to keep up as well at such a resolution.

The question was whether or not the game would run on a 1680x1050 panel, which has a resolution ~ 40% higher than that of the tested resolution. A mobile part with a 128-bit memory controller isn't going to keep up as well at such a resolution.

Albuquerque said:
If you don't agree, save a few bucks and buy one of the slightly-less-resolution monitors like 1440x900 or whatever that oddball size is.
Do you wish to continue?

Ok heres the best deal I have been able to find. Its a Portable One. It's very solid and very reasonably priced. Heres one example and of course they have ones with bigger screens about the same specs that still come in at under 3 grand. It can't be beat a similar dell with a lower clock speed cheaper t7600 costs over $3,600, and a pretty evenly matched hp retails at $3,300, so the pc one is a steal.

Portable one CX series Final price $2,768

- Operating system Vista Ultimate X64
- 15.4 in lcd monitor
- X6800 conroe chip 4mb cache
- 3gb ddr2 ram
- 160Gb 7200rpm hard drive
- Nvidia 8600m (upgradable)
- 2 mega pixel web cam
- Dual array microphones
- Biometric Fingerprint Scanner
- Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN
- Integrated Intel-N 802.11a+b/g/n Wireless LAN
- Integrated Global 56K Modem
- Integrated Bluetooth PAN
- ASUS TurboEngine ultra silent cooling system
- Touchpad pointing device w/side scroll function
- 3 x USB 2.0, FireWire, eSATA, CATV, S-Video & HDMI ports
- 8-in-1 Card Reader & Expresscard 54 slots
- High Definition 3D Audio System
- 2 x High-Xchange copper molding heat sinks w/heat pipes
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compounds (CPU & GPU's)
- Inspice Trace & Recovery Theft & Data protection

Theres barebone notebooks made by MSI. You can buy the barebone notebook and add teh CPU, hard drive, ram, and wireless card you want in it and its easy to install the parts. This one is a Intel Core 2 Duo with a Nvidia 8600 in it with 17" LCD and the place will install the parts if you want for you too.
http://www.rkcomputer.net/store/ind...evaction/category/previd/specials/prevstart//

If you want AMD then this one will do but its very new and I haven't found a place that sells it yet in the US.
http://www.msicomputer.com/NB/product_spec.asp?model=MS-171A

Ok heres the best deal I have been able to find. Its a Portable One. It's very solid and very reasonably priced. Heres one example and of course they have ones with bigger screens about the same specs that still come in at under 3 grand. It can't be beat a similar dell with a lower clock speed cheaper t7600 costs over $3,600, and a pretty evenly matched hp retails at $3,300, so the pc one is a steal.

Portable one CX series Final price $2,768

- Operating system Vista Ultimate X64
- 15.4 in lcd monitor
- X6800 conroe chip 4mb cache
- 3gb ddr2 ram
- 160Gb 7200rpm hard drive
- Nvidia 8600m (upgradable)
- 2 mega pixel web cam
- Dual array microphones
- Biometric Fingerprint Scanner
- Integrated 10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN
- Integrated Intel-N 802.11a+b/g/n Wireless LAN
- Integrated Global 56K Modem
- Integrated Bluetooth PAN
- ASUS TurboEngine ultra silent cooling system
- Touchpad pointing device w/side scroll function
- 3 x USB 2.0, FireWire, eSATA, CATV, S-Video & HDMI ports
- 8-in-1 Card Reader & Expresscard 54 slots
- High Definition 3D Audio System
- 2 x High-Xchange copper molding heat sinks w/heat pipes
- Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compounds (CPU & GPU's)
- Inspice Trace & Recovery Theft & Data protection
That's about twice what I would pay for it. And it wouldn't be hard to find one for that price with equal specs.

Back