laptop for college

...it's also possible that the 3rd party selling this...
Ahhh. I thought it was sold by Dell direct because the title says, "by Dell" and clicking that takes you to Dell's storefront. But that's the manufacturer and not the seller, which isn't at all obvious until you scroll down to the comparison table and it mentions who's selling it. So mystery solved - it's a reassembled PC. Although where does Dell's warranty then fit in?

when you input the serial/product number into dell warranty/support website, it should shows the original spec instead the upgraded one right?

Or Dell doesn't have
Original specs, 12GB/256SSD.

I think you're right Shifty. Not sure how the warranty fits in, but it's covered until June next year.

Interesting update, had her update to the newest Catalyst drivers and she had blue screening problems. Going back to the factory ones made it all better.

Plus her bio..EUFI is really basic. There isn't any where to adjust the graphic settings, it looks different than most of the Dell ones I've seen even though it says it's dell. :|

Ahhh. I thought it was sold by Dell direct because the title says, "by Dell" and clicking that takes you to Dell's storefront. But that's the manufacturer and not the seller, which isn't at all obvious until you scroll down to the comparison table and it mentions who's selling it. So mystery solved - it's a reassembled PC. Although where does Dell's warranty then fit in?

For most laptops the memory is usually customer upgradeable. While the storage system is not always user replaceable it isn't uncommon for it to be user replaceable. Obviously this doesn't apply to laptops where the memory and storage device aren't easily accessible (IE - if you have to take the laptop apart, they probably aren't meant to be user upgradeable).

So, as long as those parts are user upgradeable, then the laptop itself will still be covered by the warranty if those parts are replaced.

Regards,
SB

It's one of them easy ones. About 6 screws and the back comes off and you can access memory, SSD, network card, and battery easily.

It's one of them easy ones. About 6 screws and the back comes off and you can access memory, SSD, network card, and battery easily.

Nod, so it would appear all of those things are meant to be easily replaced by the user, hence the laptop will still be eligible for warranty if those are replaced. Although the battery might require a Dell approved battery.

Regards,
SB

That's just a down the road thing for when the battery inevitably fails, or if I can find a longer life one that'll fit in there. ;)

Back