G5 Logitech mouse weight configuration

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
What do you guys have set for your weights?
I have light weights set into place everywhere minus the 4 corners of the cartridge which have heavy weights.

IMO this feels best but then again I haven't tried every configuration.
What do you guys recommend?
Is there a scientific theory about how much a mouse should weigh in the hands of a user?

Also is this mouse illegal to use when playing multi-player games?
I've read on Logitech's site that this mouse is better than aimbot.
I also read a review:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/logitech-g5.ars/5

It makes claims that this mouse is really an aimbot. Is this true?

What mouse you use is up to you. No progamer will complain about you using a good mouse, it's rather the other way around - we don't want to hear whine about the mouse sucking when you get fragged. :LOL:

What can be frowned upon is using macros and lame binds (such as using the mousewheel to fire a whole clip in a second when it normally has a delay penalty on the mousebuttons preventing that kind of rapid fire). But it's pretty much up to every individual, some may complain, some may not. Besides, there's usually pretty strict rules that say what is allowed and what is not, and having a great mouse is never banned.

EDIT: And about that aimbot thing, you'll be amazed at how often those comments gets hurled when you have a good aim. No it is not an aimbot.

Yeah that really depends. I don't really follow counterstrike now since CS:S rather sucks as a pvp fps game. But playing on public servers I'd say the line goes somewhere around having a button spin you 180 degrees to lessen flashbang effects, much more advanced than that and you're getting yourself into territory that's marked cheating on most ladders etc. - like having a macro that fires your gun twice and then switches weapon twice to get around the decreased accuracy (tho that may well be fixed now but you get the point I hope).

Macros to buy equipment at the start have generally been ok though. I've only seen two servers that I can clearly recall banned that.

K.I.L.E.R said:
What do you guys have set for your weights?
I have ONE of the lightest weights in the middle row furthest to the rear of the mouse. That's it. Anything else and the mouse just became too damn heavy to use. I tried filling it up with all the heaviest weights and the mouse damn near gave me carpal tunnel after like two days, and I haven't had a problem with mousing for all I'm worth after eighteen years (give or take) of computer use.

No weights at all made the mouse front heavy, and anything more than ONE of the lightest weights at the rear made it back-heavy.

And I wouldn't exactly call this mouse aimbot-accurate either. The laser sensor is a bit crap actually, it tracks significantly worse while travelling down and to the right than in any other direction, and it skips and jump a bit in ways that my LED sensor MX510 mouse did not.

Also, the "firmware" update that was supposed to fix tracking issues merely seem to boost the power output of the laser diode, making it so the mouse can still track motions while raised nearly 2cm off the surface. This is highly annoying whenever I have to pick up and move the mouse. Fortunately, an issue with the mouse wheel and left mouse button let me replace the mouse, so now I'm back with a unit with the older "firmware"...

Does anyone find it hilarious you can balance your mouse now?
:LOL:
progress progress progress :smile:
I'm still using a rather old logitech mouse optical mouse.
think its like 3-5 years old.
Works pretty good except the pads on the button are gone and the cord is kinda loose- if I pull on it a bit it gets disconnected.

I don't use the weights. My G5 is as heavy as my old MX500 .. has the same shape too.

It's definitely more sensitive .. and I believe this is why I play better at CSS too.

US

I wont touch the G5, I'm pretty pissed off at Logitech for removing the second thumb button. That is extremely important to my CS:S play.

Anyway, having a sensitive mouse is often times a negative effect. Check out the "leet" CS:S players, they have their sensativity ratings down around 2 or even lower, and dynamic adjustments for certain guns (like an awp at about 0.5).

I love my MX516, especially after I cut the crap out of the insides to remove any an all weight. Its an extremely light mouse now, I LOVE it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stating the obvious, sensitivity and mouse design/weight is entirely up to personal preference.

I love my Micrsoft IE 3.0 mouse because it's big and has a design that fits my hand pretty well. Recently I "upgraded" to their latest "gaming" mouse which rather sucks, it's smaller (actually pretty similar to logitech mice for which I hate the design it's not suited to my hand and my way of holding it), has some disgusting plastic material that makes my hand sweat almost instantly, that goo from the hands collects very fast on the plastic and the buttons have such high resistance that it takes effort to press it and not move the mouse. Ah I'm not forgetting that they moved one thumbbutton to the other side of the mouse where you're supposed to press it with your ringfinger - how much strength do you have when moving the ringfinger sideways? :devilish: I guess it's mainly for lefthanded users though. Anyway, to the point; I still use this crappy mouse because it's alot more sensitive (1000dpi vs. 300dpi or something like that) and reacts quicker in gameplay, it has some slight tracking issues aswell but it still feels better to aim with since I play a very fastpaced game, Unreal 2 XMP. Of course I've had to lower the ingame sensitivity but once I grew accustomed to it it's clearly superior to me.

But some people don't even need this kind of tools to be good, I've got an acuaintance that's won the Quake 3 world championship and plays (played.. he's not anymore) with some crap mouse on a cutting board and he still managed to have good aim.

So K.I.L.E.R I think you should use whatever feels right to you, and don't be afraid to experiment.

EDIT: misplaced word

Thanks guys.

I've already tried this and it almost landed me in the emergency room. :(

So K.I.L.E.R I think you should use whatever feels right to you, and don't be afraid to experiment.

Well I was referring to the mouse, but if you feel that you want to share the results of your private experiments with us go right ahead. What you do on your spare time is your own business unless you want to share it with us. :LOL:

Please, don't encourage him. Last time we got some bizarre tale of how he inserted objects into his private parts, and... Well, I'd better not continue. :LOL:

Back