Future of the hard drive?

Quitch said:
Those numbers don't go into enough depth to have meaning. You should duke it out at their site I mentioned, they know much more about RAID than anyone here I suspect, and I respect their views on these matters.

Let me get this: You want me to go find numbers to refute my own points ?

Don't think so.

Do you even know how discussions/arguments/exchange of ideas work ?

Cheers
Gubbi

Last edited by a moderator:
Quitch said:
Those numbers don't go into enough depth to have meaning. You should duke it out at their site I mentioned, they know much more about RAID than anyone here I suspect, and I respect their views on these matters.

Well the general overview of raid performance at that site backs up gubbi, not you.

Gubbi said:
Let me get this: You wan't me to go find numbers to refute my own points ?

Don't think so.

Do you even know how discussions/arguments/exchange of ideas work ?

That's not what I said. You need to stop wilfully mis-reading my posts before we can advance to concepts like exchanging ideas.

RAID 0: Read & write STRs will increase for every drive added until the RAID controller interface bus becomes the bottleneck. Seek times stay the same.

Random reads & writes can be faster, depending on the stripe size, and how much data is being transferred. RAID 0 tends to benefit applications such as video editing the most, where large files are being handled. Some games also benefit, depending on how they store their data. The bottleneck, as Guden Oden already pointed out, tends to be seek times. I tend to find that RAID 0 also helps in disk-intensive multitasking situations.

Say both disks contain a file, 12kb in size. In RAID 0 (with a 1kb stripe size - to make the math easy) disk 1 would contain parts 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, & 11, and disk 2 would contain parts 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, & 12. Both disks could read their parts at the same time (disk 1 would read part 1 while disk 2 would read part 2 and so on) doubling the read speed.

RAID 1: Read & write STRs will generally stay the same. Seek times stay the same.

People tend to think that read speed should double (because it is reading from two disks) but this is not true.

Going back to our example with the 12kb file, in RAID 1 both disk 1 and disk 2 would contain parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, & 12. If the controller assigned disk 1 to read parts 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, & 11, and disk 2 to read parts 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, & 12 (like RAID 0) you would see no increase in speed because disk 1 needs to go right past part two on its way from part one to part three - it can't just "jump over it". Also, the above way of reading would mean that you are not doing any error checking (reading both disks and making sure the data matches.

If the controller cheats and doesn't compare all the data (relies instead on the drive reporting an unreadable sector) then then you could see an increase in performance if you were either:
#1: drive interface bandwidth limited, or
#2: reading a large file where each drive could read alternating tracks.

RAID 5: Read STRs increase for every drive added (a four disk RAID 5 array will usually read as fast as a three disk RAID 0 array), write STRs tend to be XOR processor limited (or until the RAID controller interface bus becomes the bottleneck in both cases). Seek times are a little slower in my experience.

Again with the 12kb file / 1kb stripe example, disk 1 would contain parts 1, 4, 7, & parity(10,11,12). Disk 2 would contain 2, 5, parity(7,8,9), & 10, disk 3 would contain 3, parity(4,5,6), 8, & 11, disk 4 would contain parity(1,2,3), 6, 9, & 12.

Here's my RAID 5 data array (4x 200GB Seagate 7200.7 on a Promise SX4 w/256MB cache):
atto3tl.gif

hdtachf0jf.gif

It resides on the PCI bus so it is read limited to 100MBs. Writes are a little faster then a 7200.7 on its own. Seek times are fast due to the 256MB cache - not the actual array.

The Promise has a hardware XOR processor. Compare that to four 74G Raptors on the ICH7R in RAID 5:
ich7ratto1sn.gif

ich7rhdtach4hw.gif

As the ICH7R is a southbridge controller it has no bandwidth limit (that I could dream of hitting) so the reads are fast, but the writes only average ~20MB/s. Seek times remain the same as a Raptor on its own.

The ICH7R RAID 5 would be OK for a home file server (MP3s, pictures...) but I'd hate to use it on my workstation.

I run the four Raptors in RAID 0:
ich7r04va.gif

hdtach05db.gif

I know ATTO and HDtach are not the best benchmarks around, but they are quick and easy.

Here are IOmeter results (default access specifications) for the four Raptors on the ICH7R:
raid4qq.gif

Looks to me like the cache is going to keep going up .

in 2002/2003 8 meg cache hardrives were all the rage. But now 16 meg cache drives are and 8 meg cache drives are under 100$ ( i just got a 330gig drive with 8 meg cache for 98$)

Looks to me that soon we will see 32 meg cache drives perhaps first in the 15k rpm drives but slowly they will spread to the lower end drives . Surely that will lower seek times .

JCLW said:
If the controller cheats and doesn't compare all the data (relies instead on the drive reporting an unreadable sector) then then you could see an increase in performance if you were either:
<snip>

That's not cheating, that's the whole purpose of interleaving at the block level as opposed to the byte (bit) level, for reference:
RAID 2 = interleaving and error checking at the byte level.
RAID 3 = interleaving and error checking at the block level
RAID 5 = interleaving at the block level, but distributing parity and data across all disks.

And yes, you rely on the disk reporting bad sectors in the block interleaving schemes.

The original paper defining RAID 5 is a good read.

Cheers
Gubbi

ANova said:
The future is halographic and crystal storage
Sorry, I'm not usually one for correcting people's spelling but it's "holographic".

A mental image of angels holding bar graphs came to mind for me reading that and made me blow coke thru my nose!

Quitch said:
Do people see HDDs becoming obsolete?

Yes. Not neccesarily for storage space requirements though. I find that I don't really fill my disks these days, contrary to what I constantly did in the past. But we seriously need to replace current tech because of the reliability issues. In the last 5 or 6 years I've had 4 drives die. I've been fortunate enough to never lose any data I really care that much about, though it was close a couple of times. The last drive to die on me was just last week. Fortunately, Linux was still able to read the disk when Windows refused, so I could recover pretty much everything.

digitalwanderer said:
Sorry, I'm not usually one for correcting people's spelling but it's "holographic".

A mental image of angels holding bar graphs came to mind for me reading that and made me blow coke thru my nose!

Glad I made you laugh, but coke through the nose? That had to have been an unpleasant experience.

Back