Full source code for DX8.1 3D space sim game released

mech

Regular
I'm posting this on behalf of a1studmuffin, because apparently he can't register an account due to database error. We're both longtime lurkers, and thought you guys might be interested in this... I'll let a1 take it from here :)

2.jpg

This screenshot is of my 3D space-sim version of Asteroids. The project was started as an attempt to learn the DirectX 8.1 SDK and intended to only feature asteroids, and asteroids alone. Now, after 2 months of development, I've ended up adding Martian fighters with AI, communication satellites to defend, and timed missions.
The entire source code for the game is available here along with the game binary (150KB + 5.5MB, respectively):

http://www.4bitterguys.com/michael/asteroids

I released this as an open-source project to allow other people learning DirectX to see a non-trivial (but simple) game's implementation. That's always been the most beneficial way to learn as far as I'm concerned.
The 3D models were designed in 3D Studio Max 4, with the exception of the main ship model which was kindly donated by www.3dcafe.com. The textures were either taken from the texture library in 3D Studio Max 4 or created in Photoshop (eg. the internal cockpit texture is a hodge-podge of military hardware photos). Sounds were borrowed from royalty-free sound archives or created from scratch in a music studio sitting in my basement.

The Katie Holmes obsession (you'll need to play it to understand) started way back in 1999:

http://members.easyspace.com/mdol/

Any feedback on code or game design is more than welcome, as I'd like to know what I could do to improve the game, or even for future projects. Enjoy!

you know what you computer geeks need? TO GET DRUNK!!!!

Maybe not the right place to be putting this shit, but damn it there is OTHER THINGS OUT THERE IN THE WORLD~~~~

So get drunk and be happy for once!

Katie Holmes obsession :rolleyes: You guys need to get l*** not drunk :LOL:

Okay, sorry, couldn't help that. This thread would possibly be more at home at Games Talk or Software Talk...

Regardless, I'm all for open source, and especially admire the express aim to help fellow coders learn more and quicker. I'm not one... so here's hoping you get useful and productive feedback, too.

I'll give your baby a try, and try and post any observations on game design or play or feel I get. (I should keep in mind it is meant to be an asteroids clone, right?) Don't expect this poster to touch the actual code with a 10-byte pole...

I'll will give it a try too... except I'm at work right now so It will be few hours later.

(I doubt that G450 SDR 16MB is enough for DX8.1 game...)

kewl

This is really great.

Thanks and I'll let you know my impressions after I get home and download the sucker!

8)

At my work (CEL900 + GF2MX) it chokes big time when new asteroids appear after explosion. Apart from that it's quite cool and different from its "original". Reminds me some of I-War's shot'n run missions.

you know what you computer geeks need? TO GET DRUNK!!!!

Maybe not the right place to be putting this shit, but damn it there is OTHER THINGS OUT THERE IN THE WORLD~~~~

So get drunk and be happy for once!

In case you hadn't noticed, this is a computer/video game/technology forum. Umm.. what would you prefer I post? The details of my last night out? My girlfriend's personal stats? This is this guy's effort to get into the games industry - people do have to work you know.

Katie Holmes obsession :rolleyes: You guys need to get l*** not drunk :LOL:

Are you saying you don't appreciate beautiful women? You should be ashamed of yourself! :)

Okay, sorry, couldn't help that. This thread would possibly be more at home at Games Talk or Software Talk...

Probably, but no one ever posts or looks there :( And this is about 3D technology :)

Anyway, any comments on the gameplay and/or graphics would be appreciated. The code may have been written for DX8.1, but it was written with a GF2MX (and then a TNT2 when a1's card died :)).

A1 says: the reason it's probably choking after an explosion is due to an alpha blending/fill rate issue, and that's due to my crap programming.

:)

Awright, tried the game some, here goes.

First off, an aside: get an original name. "Asteroids" was the Asteroids. There can be no other "Asteroids". Dammit. ;) Just coin something like "Ast3roiDs" or "AsteroiDX" or whatnot...

By the way, if you desire more layman testers, your web page could briefly assure that "Yes, download this --> file, then click the icon to install, and you're game." Some feel uneasy with "executables" and "sources" to understand and go do something else.

Okay, to the point.

My platform: Iwill KK266-R (VIA 4.37a), AXP 1.40@1.53 ("1800+"), 256MB SDR, Elsa GF2U (21.81), Win2K SP2. (I didn't use my standard C-Media 8738 onboard sound as my amp is ill now.)

Good install: behaves. Reassuring.

The readme could already give away the controls, now one is left wondering until beginning a game. (The controls were pretty natural tho, mouse business as usual. Good.)

Readme's "Things to be added" mentions techno background music. Cliché alert... Why not some grand old progressive rock, or classical like in 2001 or Star Wars? Personally I'd love the Battlestar Galactica theme. Yes, I need to get drunk myself :LOL:

Okay, to the point.

Menu is good. One is still somewhat left wondering the controls. Thing to be added: Assign controls! -- Display settings jumps from fullscreen back to window, but this is okay, no? No harm there, jumped neatly back to fullscreen after setting.

I preferred the ship view to the cockpit view, for three reasons: 1) the cockpit imagery conveys quite nothing of relevance (including the pic :p ), 2) more importantly, I didn't get a sense of acceleration unless seeing the ship's movements (I guess because the textured background doesn't react -- some kind of visual cueing is necessary), you just suddendly crashed into something that wasn't there a millisecond before, but yep, seeing the ship countered that, 3) I could never see the Martians coming until I was already all ablaze, so I tried to get all the visibility available. Speaking of that, the asteroids were pretty hard to spot too, but that could be due to the sun (the real one) shining on my monitor, or intentional...

But definitely put the radar in the bottom middle!

Actually, I couldn't get a natural grip on the ship, even with game at "Easy" and steering sensitivity set to minimum. You may wan't to look at that... I distinctly remember I rocked at Asteroids a decade and a half ago :D

The game looked very good. The reflections on the ship were really cool, and the volumetric explosions were awesome. The asteroids flew and spun very naturally. Everything was fast and smooth, no glitches. In short, flawless graphics, to my view.

All in all: the game was okay to difficult to play, and very good to watch. Just post screenies of them Martians so I get to see them too :p

Now I'll go back to play some more.

YUP <-----

YUP

A1 says: the reason it's probably choking after an explosion is due to an alpha blending/fill rate issue, and that's due to my crap programming.

Utter and complete CRRRRAAAPPPP programming....

;)

EDIT: To add the quote to which I was referring! :p

Ah, hafta answer some first...

> should be ashamed

Mech, I do appreciate female beauty, and KH is sure a fine example (supposing that rectangle wasn't the rearview mirror and the evil Martian I never noticed?), but bona fide obsessions my girlfriend has hard time coping with ;)

> Games Talk or Software Talk

IMO the whole board arrangement is confused. What used to be Hardware Talk in the old days goes sometimes to News, sometimes to 3D Technology and Hardware, sometimes to Hardware. What used to go to Software Talk goes to, well, where-ever. Add Console Talk which draws both, except some console game talk goes to Game Talk. ;) Add the problem that many times threads run off topic or even forum simply as matters of one kind lead to matters of other kind, perfectly relevant or at least associated (and that's a very human phenomenon) and won't fit well in any single forum. Maybe this cannot be "fixed", you have to sort the traffic some way, what with the volumes today... This rant is off topic, tho.

Hope my feedback was useful! I notice o.d. commented on the coding itself, although not perhaps in a very detailed and informative way...

[Edit: clarified the rant to help even more people enjoy it.]

Just finished downloading and playing a bit!

That is one fun game and looks nice as well, however I tried it on Normal difficulty and felt it was too difficult to fight the aliens.... I only made it to level three when they kicked my a$$.

Great job though! Ran smooth on my rig:

1800+xp
win98se
256 crucial
msi k7t266 pro2

Gonna play your driving game next..... :D

Back