Free Vista Upgrade

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hey guys,

As all of you know, i just got a new laptop.

I can take advantage of Microsoft's free Vista upgrade for PCs bought before the end of March. My question is, how quickly do they send the disc? Also, will i need drivers for Vista for all the hardware i have?

I know these are all questions that have probably been answered a million times on here, but searching doesn't really help me much with this query.

Also... Is it worth the hassle, if i have XP Pro? Changing all the drivers will be a real lpain if i have to do it.

Hey guys,

As all of you know, i just got a new laptop.

I can take advantage of Microsoft's free Vista upgrade for PCs bought before the end of March. My question is, how quickly do they send the disc? Also, will i need drivers for Vista for all the hardware i have?

I know these are all questions that have probably been answered a million times on here, but searching doesn't really help me much with this query.

Also... Is it worth the hassle, if i have XP Pro? Changing all the drivers will be a real lpain if i have to do it.

I suppose Vista will ship with drivers for most if not all current HW out of the box. Perhaps not the latest and greatest version, but it will probably be very workable. If your HW can keep up with the (hefty) requirements for Vista, then I think you should at least get the upgrade disc, and rollback if you don't like it.

I suppose Vista will ship with drivers for most if not all current HW out of the box. Perhaps not the latest and greatest version, but it will probably be very workable. If your HW can keep up with the (hefty) requirements for Vista, then I think you should at least get the upgrade disc, and rollback if you don't like it.

Well the laptop should be very comfy with Vista, it's a Core2 Duo 7200, 2GB RAM and ATI 1700 (the laptop version)...

It's just that it's packed with so much stuff, from Bluetooth 2.0 to the finger print scan thingy, that i wouldn't want to spend a week trying to find drivers for all this minor hardware i have on my laptop.

If you say Vista has drivers for all that, then that's great :)

If you say Vista has drivers for all that, then that's great :)

You may need to hit your vendor's site for the proper drivers. Basically, the more esoteric stuff you have, the less likely Vista will have the drivers built-in.

You may need to hit your vendor's site for the proper drivers. Basically, the more esoteric stuff you have, the less likely Vista will have the drivers built-in.

I KNEW it!!! Ok i'll get the disc in, but i'll wait for the install till i have all the drivers...

I KNEW it!!! Ok i'll get the disc in, but i'll wait for the install till i have all the drivers...

I don't know the level of support from your vendor but MS might have a site that can verify inclusion of drivers for Vista. They had one for XP at one point.

Back