Fracture: PS3 & Xbox 360

LucasArts today unveiled a new game for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that it will release in 2008. Called Fracture, the third-person shooter is set in the year 2161 and will include terrain deformation, something the company says is a first but that hardcore gamers know was really kickstarted with Red Faction.

Official Pic's

Trailer

LucasArts

screenshot1.jpg

screenshot5.jpg

screenshot6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IGN

Currently planned for 360 and PS3, Fracture has considerable potential for pushing the next-gen action genre. Denny also said to expect some truly crazy terrain-inspired achievements in the Xbox 360 version, although he wasn't willing to go into specifics. While the games should mostly be the same content-wise on each system, we only saw the Xbox 360 build in our demo. As Denny put it, "We're not going to comment on specific PS3 features at this time, but it is definitely coming to PS3." When asked about a PC version of the game, Denny Thorley didn't deny it, and only said, "We're not prepared to talk about PC at this time,"

So the current trailer and pic's are from the Xbox 360 build. Anyhow, the game looks good IMO...

Terrain deformation isn't exactly new. Even UE2 supported it.

Support and implemented are both very different concepts altogether..

Anyone will tell you that terrain deformation is not a common gameplay feature nor has it been invested into heavily in an attempt to provide innovative gameplay systems..

After a good 5+ years of video games there have been very few games with implemented the feature and only two which ephasised it as the focus of gameplay (Red Faction 1 & 2)..

Saying "terrain deformation isn't exactly new" in the context you we're refering to is a [practically] pointless statement to make and doesn't offer anything conceivably worthwhile to this discussion..

Hehe, looks like Red Faction is getting remade (in a way) so no use of posting that in the remake thread now...

Looks good. Hopefully it will be fun to play.

Support and implemented are both very different concepts altogether..

Anyone will tell you that terrain deformation is not a common gameplay feature nor has it been invested into heavily in an attempt to provide innovative gameplay systems..

After a good 5+ years of video games there have been very few games with implemented the feature and only two which ephasised it as the focus of gameplay (Red Faction 1 & 2)..

Saying "terrain deformation isn't exactly new" in the context you we're refering to is a [practically] pointless statement to make and doesn't offer anything conceivably worthwhile to this discussion..
First of all, I was simply stating that the technology for terrain deformation has been in place for a long time. I believe comments that don't directly relate to gameplay are still allowed in this forum.

Secondly, terrain deformation is a commonplace feature in the RTS genre, appearing in Earth 2150/60, Perimeter, Rise of Legends, Company of Heroes and whole host of other RTS stretching back several years, so the tactical possibilities it introduces have already been explored, at least partially. So the mere fact that this game features terrain deformation doesn't count for much IMO - what matters is how many new gameplay situations they're able to introduce with it.

Bah, we've had terrain deformation since Scorched Earth and Dome Wars! :rolleyes:

;)

I always thought the terrain deformation in Otogi 1&2 were pretty awesome (just because it added to the fact that you're hitting people so hard they go flying into the environment).

The video looked really cool, and they've certainly taken terrain deformation to an extreme, but it was a tech demo first and foremost, which reminded me of CellFactor videos. :| I'm more interested in the story or premise of the game - the thing that holds the game together. Will the regular gameplay be good too? So far I have little interest in it...

The demo is pretty fun, for the first 10 minutes. The deformation and physics are very impressive and have great potential. Kinda horrible shooting mechanics and even more horrible cutscenes and VA though.
Could still be a good game, but as it presents itself in the demo, it has major flaws.

I didn't like it either, but the graphics were very impressive, at least from a technical point of view: very crisp and varied texture maps, highlly detailed character models, shadows are very defined and sharp, physics feel just about right and the whole thing moves silky smooth (I played the PS3 demo)

Terrible. Nothing fun or cool about it. Awesome pauses and stutters though. Haven't see that in a while.

Tough crowd! I kinda liked it, not amazing but not bad. Maybe you were playing the PS3 build? Try the 360 one instead if you have access to it, it looks much sharper and doesn't have all that screen tear during play. I do wish they did more with the deformation gun, but calling it terrible is a bit harsh! Unless you're comparing it to PC shooters, but that's not totally fair :)

The demo is pretty bad, couldn't even care to finish it,the physics don't give any wow and thats all it ever had going for it imo.

I played PS3 version because the demo is free.

Back