Forza 5 [XO] *large pics inside*

GAF did an analysis of this F5 screenshot
MgZVRbV.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86102059&postcount=8026

Summary:

-game is definitely fullHD (1920x1080)
-there is no AA or very shitty TAA sollution
-there are noticeable compression artifacts in BliBlim footage that should blur a bit overall IQ

200% zoom on the F5 car
ip2uNGcZcixPq.png

200% zoom on the DriveClub car
pgvWDdS.jpg

Of course, both games are not finalized.

I prefer the softer DC 200% image, though that is some noisy motion blur. It's 200% zoom though, one is 60fps and not really otherwise comparable.

Motion matters.

The shader artefacts look almost like the shader/AA is broken. I suppose it's just point-sampled environment reflections, but it looks terrible and will probably flicker like betsy. Then again, at reasonable viewing distance and 60fps, it may not be at all discernible in motion.

that's nothing more than a simple 2d screen space effect, not actual light.
The shadows are still correct, try to imagine the god rays not being there and you will see

Yes I know its a 2d effect, and that's why its wrong. 2d or not, it's trying to simulate volumetric lighting, and its shadowing, through participating media. Independently of where that widow frame's godray-shadow fell, it would be wrong anyway because the thing is "ignoring" the car, which were this to be done through actual volumetric shadow-map lookups, would be blocking most of the lower portion of these shafts.
The shadows are correct, ignoring the innacuracies of shadowmapping of course, but on perfectly physically correct renderer those shafts would line up with the shadow. I don't know what went wrong on that screenshot, but it seems the virtual sun used for the 2d god rays, and the one used for shadow rendering are not exactly lined up.

As for the shader aliasing on the newer shots, this is a completely wild guess of mine, but I have the feeling it could be the result of un-mipmapped high resolution real time reflections.

360 wheels wont work with the xb1 thats a shame for people that have them.
the 458 italia is also a pc wheel so with a bit of luck pc wheels that also support the 360 may will be usable
just the 360 exclusive wheels wont work.

on the plus side looks like the 360 awful forcefeeback (more rumble then ff) has been updated.

I've always wanted to buy a wheel, but I've never committed to getting one. How much does it enhance the experience. Is it a pain in the ass to set-up?

A good force feedback wheel gives you a much better experience with a racing sim. It's quite realistic, you get more feedback through the wheel, it's easier and more natural to steer and accelerate out of turns and it's just much more enjoyable. I honestly couldn't go back to using a controller again.

I'm so scared of not owning a force-feedback wheel that i own 4 of them ;)

@johhny I'd say If you like racing games it's one of the best investments you can buy no reason why it wont last a decade. (ps: dont buy a non force-feedback wheel)
I would advise waiting until the new consoles are out there will probably be wheels that are compatible with "your console of choice" + the P.C
as there was with the last generation, and the P.C has a huge library of force-feedback supported racing games.
Things to look out for
degrees of rotation. Some wheels only offer a max of about about 240 degrees others are adjustable right up to 900degrees
Do you need a clutch pedal and a manual 6/7 speed gearbox

I've always wanted to buy a wheel, but I've never committed to getting one. How much does it enhance the experience. Is it a pain in the ass to set-up?

Sometimes it's a pain in the ass to set it up every time you want to race (unless you have the space to have it permanently connected to the console) .. it's a bit boring to do it every time , BUT .... the experience is AMAZING . Highly recommended .

(not only for sims ... i use it also for arcade racers , veeeery enjoyable , so you get a good mileage from a wheel).

New screenshots:
1) Looks like a computer game with naffy trees and flat lighting
2) Looks like a computer game, naffy trees
3) Looks pretty darned convincing
4) Likes mind-numbingly good!!!!! :oops: Like, real. The people! The faces! The trees!!!!
5) Another computer game looking pic
6) Another flatly lit screenshot with monochromatic foliage

Call me a cynic, but I'm wondering, maybe, just maybe, the reason for the two far-better-looking images isn't because they're from a different track with better quality everything (and were rendered at a lower resolution), but, and I know this is a long shot, perhaps they're real photographs?

If these are all being passed off as legitimate screenshots then somebody is either desperate, deluded, or willing to face a bigger scandal than the KZ2 fiasco last gen. :LOL:

Back