Forza 4

Looks good!

And just to show why I am so sensitive over the Nurburgring being in or not, this was me yesterday. ;)

A little under-powered still (as you can see with some cars whizzing by), but handling is great in this Stage 2 Swift with semi-slicks, and that underpowered is also a good thing, as the track was closed almost half the (busy) day with accidents, and some people today were flown out of the track by helicopter.

No helmet?

Did I just get a bad demo? Seemed loaded with jaggies, too dark in the cockpit...nothing impressed me much.

Some of the footage looks very nice so I dont know...or maybe I just forgot 60 FPS sacrifices.

I dunno, Forza 4 so far reminds me we need next gen again. Looks mostly like predecessor...

Did I just get a bad demo? Seemed loaded with jaggies, too dark in the cockpit...nothing impressed me much.

Some of the footage looks very nice so I dont know...or maybe I just forgot 60 FPS sacrifices.

I dunno, Forza 4 so far reminds me we need next gen again. Looks mostly like predecessor...

I think you should play Forza 3 again as a reminder. ;)

Quickly played the demo this morning and the only noticeable downgrade was the mirror running at 30fps. Otherwise the environments looked just as detailed as F3 (though this was hard to really compare since the demo level wasn't in the last game) while the cars were noticeably improved.

While I can see why some want next gen consoles, I'm equally interested to see these new games push these systems a bit further.

New live action trailer for the demo is out.
Shamelessly stolen from Jalopnik.com
http://jalopnik.com/5846041/jeremy-clarksons-epic-forza-motorsport-4-live+action-trailer

Looks like the ad people have taken a page from the Halo 3/ODST trailers. And the result is wonderful (IMO)

And I ordered my Forza 4 LCE copy today :) The we shop I ordered from even say they will ship the game on the 6th of October and shipping time is 2 - 5 days, hopefully this means I will get the game early :) (www.elkjop.no if anyone is wondering)

Are you sure that's the same paint on the Ferrari on both games?

Yes it is.
I have played demo for about 12h now and I can't belive how good this game is.
Handling is great and quite demanding,much much better than in Forza 3.There is some fight with a car on a road now.
Difficulty levels are nicely balanced now and with 12 cars on the track races are much more fun and hectic.
Sound design is just outstanding,Zonda in Rivals mode has really detailed,raw and nicely distorted samples.Road noise is also great.
Graphically game looks amazing,lighting,colours,cockpit dynamics, shaders and materials,better anizo(at least it looks better) all of this is much improved since Forza 3.
There is some aliasing here and there and some lower res textures in some places but overall look of a game is really great thanks to new lighting and colours and all of it in 60fps and v-sync.
It doesn't look so cartoony anymore.
I really like that you can drive these hi poly models from menus in single player races,this Zonda in Rivals mode is so beautyfull :).
Definitely one of the best racers I have ever played.

Played one race in the muscle car on Medium and came in first. Thought the way the car handled was pretty fun. The cockpit view is pretty nice. Will try again on hard and see how I like that. Does Kinect work with the demo at all? I thought there was going to be head tracking, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Played one race in the muscle car on Medium and came in first. Thought the way the car handled was pretty fun. The cockpit view is pretty nice. Will try again on hard and see how I like that. Does Kinect work with the demo at all? I thought there was going to be head tracking, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Kinect is not in the demo.

Rivals fits my inwardly competitive nature perfectly, love it. I still start Geometry Wars 1/2 and Pac Man CE/DX just to see if I'm still on top in many categories amongst friendslist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big scores coming in gents! many 9's and 10's. I will be passing on this though. Cant play any racers without a wheel now, and my space is already at a premium. I shall await the GT Spec 2.00 update and diminish.......

Played some races on hard and it was pretty fun for me. AI racers seemed challenging, and I like the driving. Did a few custom with all assists off and pro drivers, except I used automatic transmission, and it was still fun. I came in dead last each time, but I thought it was entertaining. I am in no way an expert on driving games, but it seemed enjoyable. The cockpit view is great, but I hate the lack of depth perception in driving games. Judging braking distance is incredibly difficult until you've gotten used to the game, I suppose. If there was ever a case for 3D gaming, it's racing games.

My Live Gold just expired so looks like I'll have to wait to try the demo. Is it different from the one at Gamescom?

I think once the full title comes out I will start a new FM4 thread.

Question: Are you guys interested in a B3D garage? Do you think we should partner with another forum?

List of B3D Members Getting the Game:

Acert93
RobertR1
Hatrixx
BadTB25
Bfigved (Onkl Bjorni)
Graham
joker454
AntShaw
kagemaru
Gubbi (Xmas)

Rockster, Rotmm, etc are you getting it?

Btw, reviews are looking good. The text at Ars is very, very positive. The scores reflect the sentiment:

100 Destructiod
95 IGN
93 Game
90 Joystiq
90 Eurogamer
85 Gamespot

I will agree with some of the commentors that the Ars review spends 2 pages touching all the changes without talking much about how they feel and impact gameplay and that if you never played previous versions it left out a lot of details to the unitiated. But that kind of reflects what a big package the game is.

IGN review

Presentation
An incredibly well put together package; a joy to feast upon.

Graphics
Slicker than a greased weasel. Amazingly detailed cars and beautiful lighting effects.

Sound
Rich and loud; these exhaust notes could tame a T. rex

Gameplay
A rewarding driving model and the improved AI makes for more intense and satisfying racing.

Lasting Appeal

There's really no end to the amount of racing you can do here.

lack of weather, time of day or Porsche bums me out though

Played the demo, graphics are impressive, a step up over F3 especially in terms on in game vehicle LOD and lighting. However, the lighting still looks somewhat cartoony/vibrant compared to GT5, but the trackside detail makes up for this.

I actually don't think the simulation steering setting makes the game much harder, I actually came 1st on my second race with it turned on whereas on my first race with it off I only came 5th.

Played the demo, graphics are impressive, a step up over F3 especially in terms on in game vehicle LOD and lighting. However, the lighting still looks somewhat cartoony/vibrant compared to GT5, but the trackside detail makes up for this.

I actually don't think the simulation steering setting makes the game much harder, I actually came 1st on my second race with it turned on whereas on my first race with it off I only came 5th.

The lighting doesn't look cartoony on my end "Especially when the cars enter the shadows"... It looks unsaturated...:p

I think once the full title comes out I will start a new FM4 thread.

Question: Are you guys interested in a B3D garage? Do you think we should partner with another forum?

I'm in, but won't be getting it until after Oct 20th due to travel (again).

Back