Formula 1 - 2020 Season

The thing is when it became known that BD is in the listed parts, the knowledge transfer should have stopped, especially if it is obvious that they will only use it on 2020 car. Haas I believe asked about whether they can use Ferrari ducts ( I assume they want to get it before 2020 ended but after BD is known to be in the listed parts) and they were told they can't. Surely RP didn't simply buy something that they can't use? Also I haven't really looked where the info comes from, but some people are saying about they actually use the ducts that they received from Merc because they can't produce their own on time.
As long as the information only relates to Merc's 2019 BD, the information transfer doesn't need to stop. RP would probably have signed a contract that said they're allowed any brake duct designs Merc used during 2019. I saw an interview with Toto that said something along the lines that the 2019 brake ducts were sent because RP needed them for either a media day or pre-season testing and they didn't have their 2020 BD ready to attach to the car. But this wasn't NEW information for RP, it was information they'd had for months. Using "illegal" components in pre-season testing isn't a problem, cars can't be protested until they're actually used at a race event (e.g. Merc's DAS couldn't be protested until the first race of the season). Testing is basically just an opportunity for all the cars to turn up and drive round.

So for me, if Merc know that RP will only use the RBD for 2020 car, they should stop sending RBD related stuff to RP after BD is included in the listed parts. Failed to do that is basically conspiring to help RP copy their car parts which If RP asked FIA at that time (when BD is known to be in the listed parts for 2020) whether what they were doing is okay, FIA would say no.
If Merc have a contract that says "RP have access to any brake duct designs used on the W10 during the 2019 season, and they can request physical copies of the brake ducts", then they send them. This doesn't break the rules and it's not up to Merc what RP decide to do with the designs they legally acquired. Saying that supplying BD data after they were made listed for 2020 is like saying that a shop is liable for conspiracy for murder if they sold someone a kitchen knife they then used to attack someone.

The annoying thing is that the penalty is basically just a slap in the face and they can keep using the design for the rest of this season and next season and nobody else can do the same thing that RP did because the FIA want to ban RP style copying for 2021 so basically locking RP advantage in 2021. Of course it is only an advantage if others can't produce something that is close enough in performance to a W10.
The issue in question is just Brake Ducts, and while they do make a difference to performance, it's not the difference between a race winning car and being at the back of the field. The penalty is an estimate of the benefit that RP gained from using those RBD over the course of the season (i.e. maybe 1 position higher every 2 or 3 races than they'd have otherwise achieved), because they got to spend the engineering effort elsewhere to improve the car.

As DiResta said: if the penalty is only 15pts + reprimands it sets a precedent that would allow other teams to do the same eg Redbull to give AT a bunch of stuff, take a one-off hit but come out with way more net points.
The penalty isn't "15 points + reprimands", it's "an estimated points gain from using the parts they shouldn't have across the season + reprimands". And the reason they got that penalty was because of the change in status of the brake ducts. No other parts underwent the same change from 2019 to 2020. And that one case has definitely been clarified as to be not allowed. They took away the advantage they gained, so I'm not sure how that then results in them coming out better over the year.

They took away the advantage they gained, so I'm not sure how that then results in them coming out better over the year.
They took out 7.5 points per car for the whole season, not "advantage they gained". They also get to continue using them and further develop them from those parts instead of ones you actually develop yourself

They took out 7.5 points per car for the whole season, not "advantage they gained". They also get to continue using them and further develop them from those parts instead of ones you actually develop yourself
Did you read the stewards decision? The reasoning behind it being 400,000 EUR and then 7.5 points per car for the whole season is what they felt was enough to counter any advantage they gained by not designing the BD themselves. The point I was making is that they didn't decide "The penalty is 7.5 points per car on which you use components you didn't design", it's related to the potential advantage gained by using those parts (i.e. if it had been a part with a different performance benefit, the penalty would have been different).

The penalty imposed for the Styrian Grand Prix is intended to penalize the potential advantage Racing Point may have accrued in the BD design process. Although paragraph 1 of appendix 6 specifies, according to its wording, that a team shall not “use” LPs which are not designed by it, which can only be understood in such way that it does not allow such parts to be used in a car during a competition, the Stewards see the focus of the infringement to be in the design process itself, which was completed some time before the Styrian Grand Prix. However, this breach of the rules continues to exist through the use of the relevant BDs during following F1 events. For the first protests in the Styrian Grand Prix, it is therefore appropriate to impose a penalty that covers the entire process of (non‐)designing the BDs and making them available for use during the whole 2020 season. The use of the BDsin further competitions, however, remains an infringement of the SRs, but a penalty of Reprimand seems sufficient, because the actual infringement, namely the improper development of the BDs, is sufficiently covered with the penalty assessed at the Styrian Grand Prix.

Well we should all be happy Max God is on the grid because he's the only one with half a chance at giving Mercedes a run for their money.

Mercedes screwed over their wingman again but not as bad as Racing Point screwed over Hulkenberg. They gave up 5th just to make sure he wouldn't finish in front of billionaire boy. I guess it would look pretty bad the guy that was just parachuted in defeated daddy's boy.

Nothing but there is a chance Albon wouldn't have passed Hulkenberg so that would have meant more points (and money) for the team in the constructors championship.

As it stands Hulkenberg dropped back to behind Albon and just to make sure he couldn't do anything they put him on the softs.

How is it possible for a team to go so much backwards in one season? Alfa Romeo would be probably doing far better with last years spec car ffs. Kimi said after the race that when they finally found some grip towards end of the race, the car was vibrating so bad he had to slow down on straights to make sure parts wouldn't start falling off o_O

Nothing but there is a chance Albon wouldn't have passed Hulkenberg so that would have meant more points (and money) for the team in the constructors championship.

As it stands Hulkenberg dropped back to behind Albon and just to make sure he couldn't do anything they put him on the softs.

Nonsense.

Finally Merc screwed up enough to be beaten.
Which is not to ignore Verstappens great performance qualifying 4th on Hard, managed them well -> did not suffer the extreme degradation lots of teams had.

Did not see what went on with RP.

Ricciardo had a rough time.
Albon started out pretty bad with really early pit but clawed back a lot.
Vettel continues embarrassing form, LeClerc did pretty well bumping 8th-4th but got breezed past like a back-marker (by Hamilton?) near the end
Gasly had a bad time too after a great qualifying.

Kvyat managed a bunch of early place gains from poor 16th on grid & a decently long first stint which put him ahead of Gasly after 2nd pits & finished with a point.

Edit: oh Ocon went 14th -> 8th on a 1 stop which is a worthy effort.

Last edited:
Vettel continues embarrassing form, LeClerc did pretty well bumping 8th-4th but got breezed past like a back-marker (by Hamilton?) near the end
Interesting Vettel and Leclerc are using different setups.
The German, who adopted a set-up with more downforce than Leclerc for the 70th Anniversary GP to try to improve his performance, said he did not understand why he was struggling.

“We had two weekends in the same place and from Saturday morning last week I was not able to make any progress - that is the thing that stands out first,” Vettel said.
“Around the lap it is a bit more difficult to judge this weekend because we ran slightly different downforce levels on the car, but it seems like a fairly even loss and mostly I struggled in the slow and medium speed corners.”

He pointed out that he had been more competitive with Leclerc at previous races this season, with the exception of the opening Austrian Grand Prix, where he had a brake problem.
Team boss Mattia Binotto said he did not believe the strategy had particularly compromised Vettel but that the team would work to help him improve his performance.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53725255

I thought it was interesting that someone on tv blamed Vettel for not being aggressive enough but at the same time he spun just for that reason - he had a really great start overtaking almost two cars before him and then I think Albon basically pushed him on to the curbs which was mostly what caused him to spin.

So in other words he had been too aggressive if anything, but he would have crashed into Albon if he had taken the normal line. Which I do think he would have been allowed to do though but finishing is better than not finishing.

And yeah LeClerc seems to manage better with less downforce. He also did a great job managing his tires to only do one pitstop. This is also why it did not make any sense to even try to slow down the much faster Hamilton. He could have never kept him behind him on this fast and wide track where overtaking is considered easy, and he just had to focus on managing his tires to the extreme to get the amazing result he got in the end (4th being amazing considering how bad the car is I mean).

Yeah Vettel got a new chassis and seemed a lot happier as he was much closer today than ever.

upload_2020-8-14_16-53-2.png

Second Practice
1Xq0JxVXRQ2H9j71YW0v_top15.JPG

BTW, any of you follow MotoGP? What did you think of Brad Binder and KTM winning their first MotoGP?

Very mature in his thinking too.

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/n...widget&ic_medium=widget&ic_campaign=widget-22

“But the great thing is I have no rush really. I knew today was going to be tough. I’m sure if I had the FP2 session it would have been a different story because I didn’t really do a good lap this morning. And the 0.8 seconds that I’m off, I lose 0.5s in one sector, and 0.7s to [Andrea] Dovizioso (who was second fastest on Friday) in that sector.

“If I just fix that, I’m in the mix straight away. So, I’m quite happy. Today was quite cool. It’s strange, because you have to brake deep, you don’t really prepare the exit [of the corner] as much as you do on a Moto2 bike. I expected the opposite.”

Spanish GP Qualifying: Top 10
1. Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
2. Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes
3. Max Verstappen, Red Bull
4. Sergio Perez, Racing Point
5. Lance Stroll, Racing Point
6. Alexander Albon, Red Bull
7. Carlos Sainz, McLaren
8. Lando Norris, McLaren
9. Charles Leclerc, Ferrari
10. Pierre Gasly, AlphaTauri

Pole number 92 for Lewis by just 0.059.

Still, .3 or whatever he is off LeClerc is an improvement, and hopefully he starts on mediums to make things interesting. Albon still like .7 off Max in quali. Gasly really doing well ATM. Grosjean’s car had the engine replaced and apparently lost his “good front end” that had him fifth in P2.

Was a pretty boring race up front.
Vettel had a scorcher somehow managing to 1-stop with really long 2nd stint on Softs & hang on to 7th despite falling off the cliff quite a few laps short of the end.
Leclerc had some weird engine issue & retired.

Lots of fighting in the mid-field but despite it & with 2-stops for most drivers not a lot of movement between start grid vs finishing places.
Looming rainclouds that would have shaken things up near the end never eventuated.

Bottas got a terrible start again as Verstappen and Stroll got by him. He caught Stroll fairly quickly.

Leclercs engine shut down in the middle of a corner and he spun. He couldn't restart right away so he took off his restraints, but then got it started. He went to the pit so they could buckle him back in but retired him with electrical issue.

Perez did a 1 stop, but ran through blue flags and got a 5 second penalty. Ultimately didn't affect racing point as it just swapped them. I believe 4th an 5th was their best ever finish. Apparently they planned to 1 stop Stroll as well, but changed him to 2.

Back