Former Hardcore Gamer

blakjedi

Veteran
I dont know when or where it happened but ... dagnabbit I've lost my gaming mojo. I have several games (read: 5) That i would love to finish but just have no interest/concentration to complete. A brand new shiny 360 with the games and fixins ..... and you know what I play everyday? Hexic and a lil Geometry wars...!

My boy plays for hours on several games and has nearly beaten them all. He goes to work, comes home, and hits the 360 for about four hours a night. I'm on holiday until the new year being home all day, and I have only played about a half hour of madden... ... It just takes so much committment to play these games (controls, story, etc) that I just dont have the desire to learn anymore.

I think I love videogames just for the technology really. I enjoy watching people play more than playing myself...Am I a casual gamer now or WHAT?! :p

Any way I have a guitar to go learn how to play...

Sincerely

Former Hardcore Gamer

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the same. I think we've been demoted to Casual Gamers.... Scary. At least i don't spend as much on games as i used to, which is VERY good.

I went through a period like that. Now that I have free time again, I picked it right up again.

Yeah, I gotta add that I've been getting my gaming groove back lately.

NFSMW got me right back into my old skool gaming ways, I just needed a good game and a bit of time to play it in.

Now I'm gaming again every night after putting the kids to sleep, life is all happiful again. :cool:

blakjedi said:
I just dont have the desire to learn anymore.

This is exactly how I feel.
A lot of games nowadays are a chore to play because you have a ton of things to learn before you can even play the game.

I've been through school and completed my education - the last thing I want to do after a day's work is to have to LEARN.

Over the last few years the only type of games I've really been able to get into are racing games. The controls are simple and gameplay is (in a good racer) thrilling in and of itself regardless of "learning" or "achieving" anything. I guess it's similar to the draw of the arcade - the audio-visual feast. Playing Burnout 3 on an 8 foot projector screen with 5.1 surround sound is THRILLING.

blakjedi said:
I think I love videogames just for the technology really. I enjoy watching people play more than playing myself...Am I a casual gamer now or WHAT?! :p

Welcome to the club! I have felt like this for quite some time, but I still cannot decide if it's me that's defunct or the games themselves. Be warned, however, this will not reduce the cost of the habit you have acquired. You may possibly spend even more money now, just to see what tech there is and what it can do. Not that you'd want to play or anything... :p

Any way I have a guitar to go learn how to play...

Your "gaming hands" and "gaming fingers" will come in...erm...handy. Please, just don't start riffing Mario Bros themes and things of that nature. It just ain't cool. ;)

Oh, and there is probably a Korg with your name on it somewhere. Next thing you know, you're writing the music to games that you don't play. heh.

london-boy said:
I'm the same. I think we've been demoted to Casual Gamers.... Scary. At least i don't spend as much on games as i used to, which is VERY good.
Or its just that people grow up and have too many things occupying their minds, time and worries unlike younger age people

digitalwanderer said:
Nah, I'm pushing 40 and still love gaming to pieces.

You sure got something important though :)

digitalwanderer said:
I just needed a good game and a bit of time to play it in.

worries, time and responsibilities and how they deal with them differ from person to person.You are a lucky one I think :)

I've felt the same way about slacking off with my gaming and i had atrributed it to 3 kids and working lots, etc.

But you know what i've found incenting me to really get into gaming again is the online gaming achievements on the 360.

Does anyone else with a 360 get a little kick out of seeing 'freed Lenya' on their gamercard on xbox.com or am I the only 33 year-old nerd whose totally buying into the new XBL community stuff? :)

Nesh said:
worries, time and responsibilities and how they deal with them differ from person to person.You are a lucky one I think :)
I'm a full-time parent to two kids (5 & 8), 1 dog, 2 cats, 3 puppies, and one high-maintenance wife.

I have to choose between gaming and sleep for the most part, and sleep is losing again. ;)

I'm tired, but happy.

Man... I'm 32 and single. Home alone all day (at night I do d lil bit of alley catting! :p ) But damn it if i pick up a controller. I have a pool table down the hall that I tend to play more than anything else... or sometimes i'll run back and forth between the "theater" ( ahem!) and the pool room just to keep from getting bored... i dont go back to work until january so what else is there to do?

Believe me when i say most days i surf like its my job...i wake up, eat, surf, next thing i know its after 5 and my buddies/the honeys are calling me to come hang... I want to learn as much as I can during my break, but I just dont want to have to WORK to learn ala a controller. Especially in some in the grand scheme of things, fairly meaningless but enjoyable game... plus the theater has to be fairly dark and its winter so why miss out on all that daylight?

[continue ramble]

Maybe I need to jump into Kameo which I think I will really enjoy if I can just... beat... hexic...

Oh and I LOVE the music in Hexic... I find myself paying much more attention to videogame music than ever before...

london-boy said:
I think we've been demoted to Casual Gamers.

Same. By the time I finished high school,my enthusiasm for gaming started to go downhill.

These days I'm merely a casual gamer. I like to play games like ICO, but I also like to sit down and enjoy a good ol' FPS action. I use to like RPG's.........well looking back I was never as "hardcore" about RPG's as I thought I was. The only RPG's I've played through and got a "real" sense of enjoyment was Chrono Cross, Vagrant Story and FFVII. I like racing games too, but I've lost interest in games like GT4....I have no motivation to really play the game. Only if came out sooner because GT3 I did play for hours.

There is only a [select] few games I "really" want to play. For a while now I've considering downsizing my game collection(mostly PS2 games). I feel its better to keep the games that you really want to play and get rid of the ones you lost interest in. Even if that means going from 25 games to 5.

I'll admit that these days I probably spend more time playing simple puzzle games(like Bejeweled) than I do playing anything on PS2 or Xbox. Puzzle games is something I also really enjoy playing.....

expletive said:
Does anyone else with a 360 get a little kick out of seeing 'freed Lenya' on their gamercard on xbox.com or am I the only 33 year-old nerd whose totally buying into the new XBL community stuff? :)

it's pretty cool how the automatically compare you to your friends, adds a little bit of competition to the mix.

I still play but I dont have time for mediocre games anymore. I usually only play the blockbusters like MGS and Final Fantasy since I know that they're the best of the best. And there's enough of those to keep me busy.

last games I played were MGS1, GT4 Call of Duty 2, Devil May Cry. All were worth playing.
I want to check out Dragons Quest 8, Shadow of the Collosus and God of War.

digitalwanderer said:
I'm a full-time parent to two kids (5 & 8), 1 dog, 2 cats, 3 puppies, and one high-maintenance wife.

I have to choose between gaming and sleep for the most part, and sleep is losing again. ;)

I'm tired, but happy.

Well done then
smilie.php

Back