For the coders: what's about the naughty dog' project ?

My opinion after reading tons and tons of developers talk about various games is that the CELL and the CELL/RSX connection has barely been tapped so far. First of all, I doubt that any code for any game we have seen so far has even been half way optimized for the CELL. For example, I think animation will get much, much better. I'm not saying the code is not good, but by the time the PS3 has been out for a few years we will see some highly optimized code. Secondly, the CELL can do all kinds of neat things working with the RSX from pixel shading, vertex work, lighting, post process work, and all kinds of stuff. I doubt that most developers have utilized half the power that is available.

I think what we saw from Naughty Dog is only the tip of the iceburg. I think when we see the next clip from that game it is going to look even better.

My opinion after reading tons and tons of developers talk about various games is that the CELL and the CELL/RSX connection has barely been tapped so far. First of all, I doubt that any code for any game we have seen so far has even been half way optimized for the CELL. For example, I think animation will get much, much better. I'm not saying the code is not good, but by the time the PS3 has been out for a few years we will see some highly optimized code. Secondly, the CELL can do all kinds of neat things working with the RSX from pixel shading, vertex work, lighting, post process work, and all kinds of stuff. I doubt that most developers have utilized half the power that is available.

I think what we saw from Naughty Dog is only the tip of the iceburg. I think when we see the next clip from that game it is going to look even better.

and the lead character tells that game is better now i don't believe i can't wait :oops: :oops: :oops:

i understand what you mean now :) well the transitions are too perfect between animations (stand to walk to duck etc..) so no in that regard..
so i guess, GFX are ingame with scripted and beefed up animation

so i guess, GFX are ingame with scripted and beefed up animation
To date, I think pretty much every trailer that's shown great animation has been showing scripted animation, and the gameplay is rough by comparison. By the time this game comes out, ND may have worked on something like Euphoria wth adaptive animation*. That's bound to happen at some point this gen, really awesome anims. However, it's best to be cautious if you want to avoid disappointment. Don't think that what was shown was gameplay animation. Think that it was a cutscene with mocap animation.

* Now I think of it, the chap who did the animation from POP is working on this title, so I expect it's lots of scripted animations like HS, rather than a Euphoria type behavioural animation system.

Realtime or not, if there is one thing i am confident ND will get right, it would be the animation.

In the Jak games animation was absolutely astonishing for a game. The realtime cutscenes had the most amazing character movements and facial expressions, on really really high poly detailed models, unbelievable, considering it was running on little old PS2.

And the freaky thing is that the animation and the models kept getting better with each game.

Also to take note was the life the environments had. From cities to nature, the environment always had so much movement, it really felt like the world was alive.

We'll see what they can come up with on PS3, i am certainly looking forward to it.

Also let's not forget that even though Jak&Daxter was already beautiful, Jak2 came out and absolutely killed it under all points of view, and also running at double the resolution too (pretty sure J&D was field rendered, and i'm sure Jak2 had progressive scan).

So, i'm definitely confident in ND more than most other developers. Needless to say that is is obviously due to the fact that they can get into Sony's wallet as much as they want, within limits, which always helps.

dunno what they are up to..but I'm sure they will have, as usual, the best technology out there.
they are the only devs that over the years have never failed to impress me (and the Performance Analyzer as well..lol )

dunno what they are up to..but I'm sure they will have, as usual, the best technology out there.
they are the only devs that over the years have never failed to impress me (and the Performance Analyzer as well..lol )

what you to think about the game ? :D

yeah but will that still be the case now that Andy G and few other have left naughty dog .

who thinks here that the island of the game will strike that one of crysis for geometry and polygons ? :smile:

Back