'Flat screen' vs VR gaming.

depends on the game, in some you'll just clip through and be "outside", in most others the image fades to black with a message telling you to you're out of the game zone.

Really? That'd be sort of cool! I haven't tried VR yet, wife won't let me afford it yet. :(

Every time I was around a display for it the line was too long too, sort of regretting not being more patient.

Someday, when they get more affordable or I get richer. :)

(...) Stereo effect is probably limited to just the cockpit, the world is too far away. So is it more about head tracking or stereo you think? Or does 3rd person mode with plane in sight make a difference?

When it works well, stereo is not really an effect. It's not some extra "sauce", because "OK. here the distance is sufficiently low for stereoscopy to add " . Instead, there's some neural pathway activity thing going on.
Some toggle in your brain is turned off that screams "faaaaake" . Though there are other sources left screaming and still have "flaaaaaaaat" . These facts are quite well accepted in flight sim community, hence their choice of real cockpit instruments + collimated display when possible, with VR helmets as a shortcut.

in driveclub VR for example you just clip through, and can stand up above you car while racing, or just walkin around (as long as you keep inside the PS camera tracking zone of course)

you can "seat" at the rear too ^^

For me Bound was one of the more crazy contrasts, that is such an enormous difference between the flat game and being inside that world, appreciating the sense of scale of everything around you, having the world stretch out around you in all directions. It made me a believer in VR instantly.

And this is a game that just started as a 3D platformer and was then reworked.

Last edited:
When it works well, stereo is not really an effect. It's not some extra "sauce", because "OK. here the distance is sufficiently low for stereoscopy to add " . Instead, there's some neural pathway activity thing going on.
Some toggle in your brain is turned off that screams "faaaaake" . Though there are other sources left screaming and still have "flaaaaaaaat" . These facts are quite well accepted in flight sim community, hence their choice of real cockpit instruments + collimated display when possible, with VR helmets as a shortcut.
I had a cool idea for a gimmick mobile game: Render two views side by side, and because display is small you can pinch your eyes to align both views to get a stereo effect without any glasses or polarizing stuff.
It worked. But it caused bad headache after a minute. Especially close up stuff was extreme discomfort to look at. Distant stuff would have been ok, but what's the point for stereo if it only works well in case it's effect reduces to almost nothing.
Now i guess the main reason for headache was the need to pinch eyes, which is exhausting. But i've heard VR devs have a similar problem, and try to avoid too much focus on close views.
Anyway, when i tried some google cardboard VR i really liked the experience. No headache, but quite some sickness on high velocity movement, while rotation and headtracking felt just fine even with a phone.
Some games tried to solve this with displaying a static reference grid on screen edges, which does not move relative to the player, but still rotates with the world. That's a promising idea i guess, maybe some kind of HUD would be enough to give the brain some reference.

I had a cool idea for a gimmick mobile game: Render two views side by side, and because display is small you can pinch your eyes to align both views to get a stereo effect without any glasses or polarizing stuff.
It worked. But it caused bad headache after a minute. Especially close up stuff was extreme discomfort to look at. Distant stuff would have been ok, but what's the point for stereo if it only works well in case it's effect reduces to almost nothing.
Now i guess the main reason for headache was the need to pinch eyes, which is exhausting. But i've heard VR devs have a similar problem, and try to avoid too much focus on close views.
Anyway, when i tried some google cardboard VR i really liked the experience. No headache, but quite some sickness on high velocity movement, while rotation and headtracking felt just fine even with a phone.
Some games tried to solve this with displaying a static reference grid on screen edges, which does not move relative to the player, but still rotates with the world. That's a promising idea i guess, maybe some kind of HUD would be enough to give the brain some reference.

... really like this repurposing angle of VR, I think it's much preferable compared to how VR is now considered "solved" and it's a playground of 800 pound gorilla megacorps.

Maybe VR not hitting sales targets is proof it should be in such permanent state of tinkering and repurpose , instead of some nerdy hackathon race with winners pocketing millions of dollars- because at the time venture capitalists thought this will have a sure shot at market penetration, and analysts made the same mistake they did with 3DTV. Wasn't this so absurd afterall it even made it into the HBO series about silicon valley?

... really like this repurposing angle of VR, I think it's much preferable compared to how VR is now considered "solved" and it's a playground of 800 pound gorilla megacorps.

Facebook in particular have a significant raw R & D effort with Reality Labs. They work on far more that the 'safe' stuff that's made it to the Oculus products. Whether any of that R & D leads to radically different Oculus products down the line is another matter though.

Quick question since I don't follow VR very much; has the GPU/hardware insanity affected the already expensive-as-hell VR gear?

Na, cheap as chips
jhU4naK.jpg

I only remember the price of the rift it was £399 in march 2020 (from overclockers) but I cant find one on sale today
Edit: argos have them listed for £299 (dont know if they actually have stock)
Being a major high street retailer they are unlikely to price gouge and will probably be ordering direct from oculus plus they are also catalogue based so they cant really change prices once the catalogues are printed and they last 12months.

Last edited:
Back