Flat Panel Suggestions

BlackAngus said:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/monitors/tft/l2335.html

Panel Type 23-inch Active Matrix TFT (thin film transistor)
Viewable Image Area (diagonal) 23 in (58.4 cm)
Screen Opening
(W x H) 19.53 x 12.24 in (49.6 x 31.1 cm)
Viewing Angle (typical)* Up to 170° H/ 170° V (10:1 minimum contrast ratio)
Brightness (typical)* Up to 250 nits (cd/m2)
Contrast Ratio (typical)* Up to 500:1
Response Rate (typical)* 16 ms (typical, rise + fall)
Pixel Pitch 0.258 mm
Colour Depth Support 16.7 million colours

Input Signal Five connectors, including one 15-pin mini D-sub VGA, one DVI-I (VGA analog and digital input), one composite video, one s-video, component video

I love it. Cheaper the the apple displays, and it seems more feature full.
If I could buy two more, (And ATI or Nvidia would buy the tripple head output from Matrox) I would be in paradise.

Yes, this is what I'm suggesting above... :) It's cool and $1600 only.

OK guys, thanks for the input. However, I'm afraid to say I pretty much ignored you all! One of my overriding character traits (read: flaw!) is that I can be an impatient SOB at times so I have a tendency to go for what I can get reasonably quickly - after a quick Christmas Eve scout about I went back into into PC World (I can hear the collective shrieks and eeks from the UK crowd now) today and waved my flexible friend in front of the cashier for a 19" Iiyama ProLite E481S.

I knew going into this that it was a 25ms panel, but I took the risk thinking I might be able to blag a refund if it was too bad! I bought it on our way round to visiting my brother so I tried it out there on my laptop just using the VGA cable and I was a little disappointed with the slightly blurry text, however I bought this one specifically because it was DVI and getting it back to the desktop PC and running in the native resolution with DVI is pretty damned nice - far better than any of the CRT's I've had, and no traces of any blur (which is obviously a byproduct of the muliple D-A-D conversions). I’m also pleased to note that a 19†flat panel has considerably more usable screen area than a 21†CRT (visible height on the LCD is a full 12†as opposed to less than 11†on the CRT) [Edit - OK, I'm being a knob here; evidently my old monitor was only fricking 19" in the first place! Duh!].

Of course, gaming was the concern with this, and although its early days it doesn’t look like anything that sticks out to me. I’ve had a game of NFSU2 (OK, not the best being so dark and the game having its own motion blur effect built in – the LCD may just be aiding that!) and Half Life 2 and I can’t see I was particularly distracted by, or even registered, much in the way of ghosting.

We have, unfortunately, already had a cat related incident within mere minutes of the thing being on the desktop. Nibbet has a penchant for taking up residence on top of the monitor when I’m around, and he got a harsh lesson in the new realities in his life when the tried to jump up to the flatpanel only to realise that this one had no back for him to curl up on by falling all the way behind it and walloping his head on the desk. :?

So, so far fairly happy me (but we’ll see how things pan out with a few more game titles), and one slightly P.O.’ed cat :!:

One thing that is pretty annoying is the price difference that HP makes between USA and Europe.
That Flat panel is sold for around 1100 € in US and around 2100 € in Europe. Wonder how they could justify that difference ?

PatrickL said:
One thing that is pretty annoying is the price difference that HP makes between USA and Europe.
That Flat panel is sold for around 1100 € in US and around 2100 € in Europe. Wonder how they could justify that difference ?

It used to be some $2200-2400 here too - though months ago.

PatrickL said:

Yeah I saw that today.... Thats totally crazy.
The French are aparently being charged 2700$ us for it =/

DaveBaumann said:
I’m also pleased to note that a 19â€￾ flat panel has considerably more usable screen area than a 21â€￾ CRT (visible height on the LCD is a full 12â€￾ as opposed to less than 11â€￾ on the CRT) [Edit - OK, I'm being a knob here; evidently my old monitor was only fricking 19" in the first place! Duh!].
Small nitpick, it's not really fair to compare only the height of a 19" 1280x1024 LCD (which afaik all have a physical aspect ratio of 5:4) vs. the height of a CRT (which are all 4:3), you'd really need to compare the width too...

Back