Flat crowds and vegetation in Racing Games [2021] *spawn*

There is no execuse for racing sims to have cardboard trees and crowds anymore.
I can guarantee you wont be seeing crowds in forza horizon 5, have you seen the game?
Everyone has gone to the rapture :LOL: or maybe they've all gone to the US, gee thanks biden :oops: :devilish:
Had another quick look, yes not much realistic physics, the vertex shader is just doing most of the plants deformations, thus this is why the guy was careful not to drive over any (but had no problems showcasing driving against logs :LOL:) I understand you don't wanna showcase the engines weaknesses, but of course soon ppl are gonna get their hands on it and release their own videos
But it looks much better than what we saw on the series S with all that pop in. Definietly a must have game to try out on the series X or PC (If yours is powerful enough I assume)

I can guarantee you wont be seeing crowds in forza horizon 5, have you seen the game?
Everyone has gone to the rapture :LOL: or maybe they've all gone to the US, gee thanks biden :oops: :devilish:
Had another quick look, yes not much realistic physics, the vertex shader is just doing most of the plants deformations, thus this is why the guy was careful not to drive over any (but had no problems showcasing driving against logs :LOL:) I understand you don't wanna showcase the engines weaknesses, but of course soon ppl are gonna get their hands on it and release their own videos
But it looks much better than what we saw on the series S with all that pop in. Definietly a must have game to try out on the series X or PC (If yours is powerful enough I assume)

Keep your tinfoil hat on, the plant deformation was already visible in early gameplay footage when they drove thru the jungle, so your conspiracy theory is just silly.

Forza Horizon 5 Official Gameplay Demo - Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase 2021 - YouTube

If you are looking for crowded big cities i recommend gta games, forza was always big open landscapes, we got vulcanos, beaches, rocky mountains and wast desert with desert storms but nope, some people are never satisfied. Just like people who complained about Microsoft Fligt SIm. and cars not being realistically modelled ffs.... Do you really prefer that playground would throw resources for modelling and creating unique crowd over huge lanscapes?
is this really highest priority for this TYPE of game?
I dont know if you are trolling or just want to piss people off.

Keep your tinfoil hat on, the plant deformation was already visible in early gameplay footage when they drove thru the jungle, so your conspiracy theory is just silly.
No offence mate but you clearly did not understand what I wrote, that shows exactly what I explained with the plants

I am non native english speaker but i could say the same. Anyway lets go on with our lifes as this is clearly not worth to dig deeper into.

Plant deformation looks a bit weird at times to be honest in that video.
They just "pop" away in many instances

But it's still an open world title with tons of details everywhere you look, and yes there are crowds in Forza Festival sites in FH4 and FH3. They are 3D and moderately detailed and animated, the avatar and the drivers are fully detailed too.

The point is, racing sims like Forza 7 and GT Sports have pretty limited scope of visuals: just a closed racing track with some crowds here and there, there is simply no excuse in 2022 or 2021 for them to feature cardboard graphics for crowds or trees.

But it's still an open world title with tons of details everywhere you look, and yes there are crowds in Forza Festival sites in FH4 and FH3. They are 3D and moderately detailed and animated, the avatar and the drivers are fully detailed too.

The point is, racing sims like Forza 7 and GT Sports have pretty limited scope of visuals: just a closed racing track with some crowds here and there, there is simply no excuse in 2022 or 2021 for them to feature cardboard graphics for crowds or trees.
human models in gt sport are not cardboard and probably won't be a case also in gt7 ;)

human models in gt sport are not cardboard and probably won't be a case also in gt7 ;)

In the GT7 video where you pointed out the pop-out of the spectators, you can see that the vast majority of them are basically 2D sprites. Some are animated while some never move.

What helps to sell the illusion is that there are a few that appear to be actual 3D models that move in front of the crowd. It's hard to tell whether the few that move along the aisles that go through the crowd are 3D or animated billboards.

This makes sense as the crowd in those stands close to the camera are very dense and it'd likely be prohibitively expensive to have 3D animated models for all of them.

Regards,
SB

This makes sense as the crowd in those stands close to the camera are very dense and it'd likely be prohibitively expensive to have 3D animated models for all of them.
so you contradicted your previous statement "there is simply no excuse in 2022 or 2021 for them to feature cardboard graphics for crowds or trees." ;) edit: wrong person quoted ;d

Last edited:
so you contradicted your previous statement "there is simply no excuse in 2022 or 2021 for them to feature cardboard graphics for crowds or trees." ;)

I never made that statement. You might want to go back and check who actually said that. :)

Regards,
SB

If devs had any balls, they'd make a crowd of cardboard cutout people made out of fully modeled and PBR correct real-life cardboard cutout stands.

nothing wrong with cardboard crowds
photo.jpg

nothing wrong with cardboard crowds
photo.jpg
Is that a virtual crowd or just cutouts? I recall with basketball they created a virtual crowd so people could cam themselves into a virtual seat while watching.
The latter being much cheaper to implement than the former I assume. augmented reality is in nearly every sport anyway

Is that a virtual crowd or just cutouts? I recall with basketball they created a virtual crowd so people could cam themselves into a virtual seat while watching.
The latter being much cheaper to implement than the former I assume. augmented reality is in nearly every sport anyway
cardboard cutouts, a bit of an issue at the time cause there was Harold shitman and Adolf Hitler :LOL:
A bit strange cause I would of pictured Hitler being a rugby fan & not a league fan but then again who am I to question

Last edited:
GTSport and GT7 has 3d crowds simulating walking around the track perimeters and up/down the stadiums

Gran-Turismo-SPORT-20210730114636.png

In the GT7 video where you pointed out the pop-out of the spectators, you can see that the vast majority of them are basically 2D sprites. Some are animated while some never move.

What helps to sell the illusion is that there are a few that appear to be actual 3D models that move in front of the crowd. It's hard to tell whether the few that move along the aisles that go through the crowd are 3D or animated billboards.

Regards,
SB

actually all of the crowd/spectators on the track are 3D models, which is probably why the pop-in/out is so aggressive for the stadium crowds.

Last edited:
Back