first r420 review leak

It's not just this review but Tom's Hardware's past history. This is the same guy that goes out of his way to benchmark nVidia boards with leaked nVidia drivers but frequently does not "find the time" to benchmark with even the latest released ATI drivers (go back and read his past reviews). This is the only site that just happens to benchmark all "TWIMTBP" games, which has the highest probability of showing nVidia in the highest light. This is the same site that benchmarked ATI's Mobility 9000 with an unannounced, unreleased GeForce 4 GO 460 provided directly to Tom's Hardware to upstage ATI's release. This is also the site that added an anti-ATI editorial rant to a review just to make ATI look bad. I just don't see how anyone can conclude Tom's Hardware is not totally biased for nVidia. Sure they can make some mistakes, but when 100% of these so called "mistakes" just happen to benefit one side of the coin...

Take all the personal crap to PM's or mail please. We don't care who's a fan of what or what forum Mr X has been banned from.

Man, tech demos are getting so old. I really haven't been impressed with any tech demos in so long, not since like GeForce 256 or maybe even Geforce 2 GTS mainly because I know they're so far off of anything I'll ever seen in an actual game with the hardware....

I think we need a site which does reviews of video card reviews. Call it "Beyond Beyond3D" or "Tom's Hardware Guide Guide".

(Obligatory serious comment: Something like that might actually be useful.)

PurplePigeon said:
I think we need a site which does reviews of video card reviews. Call it "Beyond Beyond3D" or "Tom's Hardware Guide Guide".

Actually, I think there was a site that was doing that for a while. . .

PurplePigeon said:

I don't really think we need anything like that. B3D has the best reviews out there imho. They are unbiased and go in depth when talking about the various portions of their reviews. In addition if they encounter something that just doesn't add up they look into it further to determine exactly what is going on instead of saying something that possibly isn't true.

anaqer said:
trinibwoy said:
ummmmm anager....you gettin a bit too excited there man. hurley was expressing a 'feeling' not that 'nViDiA rulezzz teh OEPNGL!!'.

Excited? Not really. Tired is more like it, and I beg your pardon if it shows too much.
We've been hearing so much about NV owning D3 ( among others... ) due to OpenGL, twin-pumped Z, UltraShadow, whatnot... let's just wait and see is all I'm sayin'. 8)

Well said...

mikechai said:

Hmm, I feel a bit underwhelmed after reading this. So basically they have doubled the pipelines, added temporal anti-aliasing and 3Dc, and that's it? Am I missing something here? Don't get me wrong, it is nice (esp. doubling of pipelines and T AA), I guess I was just expecting more. I guess the R3x0 series was really well engineered.

Meh. Here's looking forward to what Dave's got up his sleeve for Wednesday.

Bah. Ruby looks good, but the "cool guy" from the GDC SkinShader presentations looks awful IMHO. The gem-stone shader looks cool tho.

Razor04 said:
PurplePigeon said:

I don't really think we need anything like that. B3D has the best reviews out there imho. They are unbiased and go in depth when talking about the various portions of their reviews. In addition if they encounter something that just doesn't add up they look into it further to determine exactly what is going on instead of saying something that possibly isn't true.

Anything that will push reviewers to be more careful, publish all of their testing procedures, and attempt to actually understand the products that they are reviewing is fine in my book. Don't get me wrong, beyond3d is great, but even here there are some older reviews that are missing testing methodology information, or have errors in some of the framerate tables. Having other reviews that actually are conducted with the same quality as B3D's would insure that any errors would be more frequently caught, and in general we'd have a much better idea of how the cards perform.

Nite_Hawk

10k 3dmark score is a little disappointing, considering it's more than double the raw processing power of the 9800xt i was hoping to see atleast 12k+

mikechai said:
<a href="http://www.bjorn3d.com/_preview.php?articleID=454">x800 preview</a>

A little light on the benchmarks...but it looks liks 6X MSAA is definitely a usable option.

At first glance, the synthetic shader tests look more or less exactly how we would expect based on a "doubling" of the R300 architecture and increased clocks.

Back