first r420 review leak

MuFu said:
Ailuros said:
I'll ask the nasty question of the evening: do they have even garden variety ordered grid Supersampling support this time around?

No.

Can't wait for the *decent* reviews... :)

Arghhhh.....I can foresee the endless bickering already....

jvd said:
DemoCoder said:
It would be interesting to get DT, HB, dr3amz, et al, to committ to a list of approved games prior to tommorow, so they couldn't complain if the ones they picked turned out to show ATI worse. That's even assuming that they have NDA info which HB in particular has been beating his chest about.

DT already added Max Payne2 on the list (curious, a non-PS2.0 game)

Hey i got no problem with twimtp games but just those games . Why no ati sponsered games ? why no games that arne't sponsered ?

resistance is futile...

The even worse situation is if NVidia exposes Temporal AA in their drivers. Can you imagine websites trying to do comparisons? They'd have to provide fullscreen bink captures with a modification that allows vsync locking, and ensure that it can playback at the same rate it was captured.

mozmo said:
It just looks like he's comparing 6xMSAA from ATI with nvidias 8x mode. You can see form that SHOT that MSAA is good, but the fact it doesn't do alpha textures and the like really means it doesn't deliver a totally jaggy free scene. Oh wouldn't it nice if we had free Super Sampling.

Free SSAA would be fairly impossible; however numbers are universal if you can't read german:

http://www.3dcenter.org/artikel/nv40_benchmarks/index12.php

"Setting3" and the higher results on the NV40 are from the yet hidden alternative 8xAA mode (4xRGMS + 2xOGSS).

***edit: actually anyone interested should look at all games and not just blah AquaNOT.

Free full-screen super-sampling isn't free, but it would be nice if on a per-pixel, per-quad, or per-triangle basis if a card could choose between MSAA and SSAA (e.g. whether or not to re-run the shader for each sample).

Then, you could have SSAA on just the surfaces that use alpha test or kill.

This thread is hillarious... I love the responses by the notorious lot.

I don't see what the problem with a TWIMTBP game being benchmarked, or all of them being TWIMTBP games for that matter.

Why do I not care?

Because it just so happens that virtually EVERY AAA title is a TWIMTBP game, and every title I own, I consider to be AAA. The computer games with the most selling potential and sell the most are indeed usually TWIMTBP.

And anyways, this is all just a big crock considering Splinter Cell is a TWIMTBP and nVidia has historically gotten their card's owned in that bench.

It's just fanatics going into defensive mode in OverDrive (TM).

surfhurleydude said:
Because it just so happens that virtually EVERY AAA title is a TWIMTBP game, and every title I own, I consider to be AAA.
People are way to fast calling games AAA titles, that's like all those magazines nowadays giving 90% to every 2nd game. There were only two AAA games so far this year, and maybe 5 last year for PC.

thop said:
surfhurleydude said:
Because it just so happens that virtually EVERY AAA title is a TWIMTBP game, and every title I own, I consider to be AAA.
People are way to fast calling games AAA titles, that's like all those magazines nowadays giving 90% to every 2nd game. There were only two AAA games so far this year, and maybe 5 last year for PC.

hehe yea tomb raider was a triple a game huh :)

Oh and half life 2 will clearly not be a triple a game .

surfhurleydude said:
This thread is hillarious... I love the responses by the notorious lot.

I don't see what the problem with a TWIMTBP game being benchmarked, or all of them being TWIMTBP games for that matter.

Why do I not care?

Because it just so happens that virtually EVERY AAA title is a TWIMTBP game, and every title I own, I consider to be AAA. The computer games with the most selling potential and sell the most are indeed usually TWIMTBP.

And anyways, this is all just a big crock considering Splinter Cell is a TWIMTBP and nVidia has historically gotten their card's owned in that bench.

It's just fanatics going into defensive mode in OverDrive (TM).

I agree, but what's with Tom's awful choice of games. Why Breed, X2 The Threat, etc. They're all terrible games. Why not Max Payne 2, Battlefield Vietnam, Painkiller, etc. Those are games that people actually play. I've tried Breed and X2, and they both suck. I wouldn't play those games, so it doesn't matter how either the NV40 or the R420 fare at them. I want the sites to bench games people actually play. They should take a look at the top selling games and bench them.
________
Louis Rosier

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah Doomtrooper, I know you're upset for various reasons (that I've already listed), but please read closer next time, "Virtually every". Not every TWIMTBP game is benchmarked on Tom's site... There are plenty out there to keep my statement valid.

surfhurleydude said:
Ah Doomtrooper, I know you're upset for various reasons (that I've already listed), but please read closer next time, "Virtually every". Not every TWIMTBP game is benchmarked on Tom's site... There are plenty out there to keep my statement valid.
still doens't mean there aren't non twimtp games that are triple a quality . Why does he use just twimtp .

Far Cry is a good game

But DT, it is part of that slimy TWIMTBP campaign! :D

Obviously some people just selectively pick and choose what they think is a good game to benchmark. Some of ATI's biggest fans will argue as such: if NV is ahead of ATI in a TWIMTBP title, then the benchmark is unfair and invalid and should not be used. If ATI is ahead of NV in a TWIMTBP title, then the benchmark is fair and valid and should be used. Clearly, there is a lot of closed-mindedness shown by some people here.

It almost seems to me that some people are looking for some type of absolute "victory" here for ATI, and if they don't get it, they are going to blow a fuse. When it gets down to this point, it is more about brand loyalty than about being open-minded. The fact of the matter is that both NV and ATI have excellent performance this time around compared to the current generation of cards, and NV and ATI both have compelling feature sets that will attract different types of consumers.

Very much looking forward to the larger sample of reviews tommorow.

jimmyjames123 said:
Far Cry is a good game
Obviously some people just selectively pick and choose what they think is a good game to benchmark. Some of ATI's biggest fans will argue as such: if NV is ahead of ATI in a TWIMTBP title, then the benchmark is unfair and invalid and should not be used. If ATI is ahead of NV in a TWIMTBP title, then the benchmark is fair and valid and should be used. Clearly, there is a lot of closed-mindedness shown by some people here.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

jimmyjames123 said:
Far Cry is a good game

But DT, it is part of that slimy TWIMTBP campaign! :D

please show who is saying that the benchmarks are bias .

we are saying toms is bias for only using the way its meant to be played games . Which we do not know if there is a bias in the benchamrks but they are getting advertising dollars from nvidia which makes it supsect that toms only uses those and none other .

Learn to read, I didn't say anything about TWIMTBP..I said GOOD GAMES.
Now, I suggest you boys look over those HQ benchmarks again and then wonder to yourself "why am I acting so smug". :devilish:

I'm acting so smug because NV45 taped out the same time the NV40 did and the X800 XT ain't THAT much better :)

Edit:

And Doomtrooper, don't try to pull something over me like I am in elementary school, I know what you were insinuating as well as everyone else with your Breed review link.

we are saying toms is bias for only using the way its meant to be played games .

If you imply that Tom is biased towards NV for choosing TWIMTBP games, then you are also implying that TWIMTBP games are biased towards NV.

jimmyjames123 said:
we are saying toms is bias for only using the way its meant to be played games .

If you imply that Tom is biased towards NV for choosing TWIMTBP games, then you are also implying that TWIMTBP games are biased towards NV.
no i am implying that twimtbp games are shady or suspect since they do recieve money from nvidia for advertising.

I know toms is bias . I have read enough reviews from there that get completely diffrent results from evry other site in the world .

if i read a review that was all half life 2 benchmarks or other games under ati's add campin i would be saying the same thing . Esp coming from a site thats bias is in favor of ati.

Why would i do any less with benchamrks that could or could not be real from a site that is bias for nvidia on games that are being payed by nvidia to put on boxes and adds that its optimzed for that card or its the way its meant to be played on that card

Just a small comment:

Lars Weinand (who has probably done this review at THG) sometimes comes around here and discusses his articles. For obvious reasons he can't do so with this leak.

I'd suggest you lay off pissing on him until:
a, you have read the actual review
b, he has an opportunity to actually respond to criticism (if he is so inclined).

Back