first r420 review leak

An extreme pipeline?

21748480_fe8a37eca4.jpg

Derek

Another piece of commonplace : history repeats itself. With the increased number of pipelines, added functionality, etc. they might run out of transistors with the XBox2 chip too. Not very likely, I know, but you can't just disregard past obstacles 'cause they tend to bite you in the back when you least expect it.

Trilinear TMUs would inrease the transistor budget that much?

Sorry, I don't really get what you are suggesting...
I just noted that now the R420 can do 32x0 just like the NV40, so that's no longer a trump card for nVidia.

It was 16*0 vs 16*0 for R3xx vs NV3x too. Difference being that while NV had higher clockspeeds in the former generation, tables have reversed.

Clock for clock I saw R3xx and NV3x running neck to neck in stencil fillrate bound tests.

NVIDIA probably lost the trump card but not due to the amount of Z/stencil units, but the lower clockspeed, hence the math. I can see a ~30% advantage in pure stencil fill-rates what do you see? ;)

Ailuros said:
Trilinear TMUs would inrease the transistor budget that much?
Depends. S3 showed us that it doesn't have to (quite some time ago too), but ATi thought otherwise last time, sooo... we'll see.

Ailuros said:
It was 16*0 vs 16*0 for R3xx vs NV3x too.
Weird, somehow I had a misconception of 8*0 for R3x0... don't ask. ;)

Ailuros said:
NVIDIA probably lost the trump card but not due to the amount of Z/stencil units, but the lower clockspeed, hence the math. I can see a ~30% advantage in pure stencil fill-rates what do you see? ;)
Ah, now I understand. I though the second line somehow referred to the X800Pro.Frequency of errors reaching critical limits... must...have...more...coffee...

Evildeus : got proof?

Ok I just received an indirect warning considering that specific slide. Can anyone possibly clarify the situation about the amount of stencil ops per clock without getting into trouble? *cough*

I have to say, it seems to me that the X800XT's GL drivers are holding it back a bit. In D3D Shader apps (Far Cry), the X800XT pulls away pretty dramatically. GL is another story.

So now we know why there is a GL re-write under way.

/Waits patiently for B3D's synthetic shader benchmarks...

To all idiots editing / deleting and messing up Bjorn3D articles: grow the f*ck up.
To all idiots caching and exchanging our NDA'ed material: grow the f*ck up.
To all idiots posting links to our NDA'ed material on different websites: grow the f*ck up.

Sorry for the OT but some of you need to grow the f*ck up, literally :rolleyes:

volt said:
To all idiots editing / deleting and messing up Bjorn3D articles: grow the f*ck up.
To all idiots posting links to our NDA'ed material on different websites: grow the f*ck up.

Yes really ashamed to wake up this morning and see all theses links here :(

volt said:

Agree with 1. But for the other two, this is the internet: when it's out, it's out.

Derek

volt said:

I agree don't delete or edit there shit.....but man it's your own guys fault people have this info now and its spreading all over the net...

DASHlT

Re: 3DM03 comparisons
(Test system: P4 3.4GHz, i865, 1GB PC3200)

3dMark-Global.gif

I found GT4 results interesting:
3dMark-game4.gif

Performance in line with fillrate...

Back