First pics of FarCry for Wii?

There are GCN games with way better texture resolution. So that's really a non issue. Just because a developer can't make proper use of the resources, doesn't mean the system is at fault.
I don't think this discussion matters anymore since the screenshots are probably fake.
If you look at this screenshot
http://www.wii-gamer.nl/images/screenshots/fc1.jpg

You can see a faint second crosshair in the center of the screen under the helicopter.
Someone with way too much time and poor photoshop skills. :nope:

I don't think this discussion matters anymore since the screenshots are probably fake.
If you look at this screenshot
http://www.wii-gamer.nl/images/screenshots/fc1.jpg

You can see a faint second crosshair in the center of the screen under the helicopter.
Someone with way too much time and poor photoshop skills. :nope:

That second crosshair is probably for the boat, not your player.
They did the same thing with the buggy in HL2, btw (secondary crosshairs to determin where your craft is "aiming" at)

That second crosshair is probably for the boat, not your player.
They did the same thing with the buggy in HL2, btw (secondary crosshairs to determin where your craft is "aiming" at)

Or a separate manual aiming, crosshair, for fine tune aiming with the wiimote. It would be very hard to follow the normal pale, tiny crosshair if your aiming around the screen. Probably the same reason red steel's crosshair is so large.

Or a separate manual aiming, crosshair, for fine tune aiming with the wiimote. It would be very hard to follow the normal pale, tiny crosshair if your aiming around the screen. Probably the same reason red steel's crosshair is so large.

Funny, I don't see this small crosshair on other shots, save for the boat.

On the side note, people seem to forget Wii is using 1T-SRAM, not just your standard average DRAM, so accessing times will be quicker and the whole dynamics of RAM size shouldn't be compared with its competitors, knowing it has a completely different architecture.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, pc999, that new info was welcome!

btw, am i the only person from has dreams in his sleep about playing a fps on the wii :oops:

i had it the other night, the wiimote was in one of those gunhandle extensions with force-feedback and i was enjoying it immensely. man, was i disappointed to wake up in the morning..

30fps cap isn't a sign of anything good. I expect it to play less like a PC FPS and more like a console one now, since the slow refresh rate suggests slow inputs.

thanks, pc999, that new info was welcome!

btw, am i the only person from has dreams in his sleep about playing a fps on the wii :oops:

i had it the other night, the wiimote was in one of those gunhandle extensions with force-feedback and i was enjoying it immensely. man, was i disappointed to wake up in the morning..

Looking at zapper (is this the name?) I guess there is a good chance of getting "interactive" (ie not on rails) Virtua cop like games (is this you are talking about?). Interesting is that this time is the first I am interesting on rumble (once we cant have true force feedback:cry: ), it should be quite interesting to try it, I wonder if instead of using those old techinics to simulate the aiming (in)accuracy while firing they can just use the rumble to get you out of the target.

30fps cap isn't a sign of anything good. I expect it to play less like a PC FPS and more like a console one now, since the slow refresh rate suggests slow inputs.

While 30FPS isnt the best it is enought to play any game (in fact we can only see about 14FPS, IIRC), anyway I am personally expecting it to be relatively close to the XB version.

Meybe they can do it at 60FPS in the future.

BTW

Crytek CEO Praises Wii

Looking at zapper (is this the name?) I guess there is a good chance of getting "interactive" (ie not on rails) Virtua cop like games (is this you are talking about?).

yes, that's the wiimote add-on. only in my dream it had proper gun ergonomics - i hope 3rd parties peripherals makers see the opportunity. i, for one, am willing to pay extra for a grippier zapper with stronger feedback.

Interesting is that this time is the first I am interesting on rumble (once we cant have true force feedback:cry: ), it should be quite interesting to try it, I wonder if instead of using those old techinics to simulate the aiming (in)accuracy while firing they can just use the rumble to get you out of the target.

that was exactly what immediately grabbed me in my dream - imagine the effect of fully automatic fire - your reticle jumping around screen while at the same time you're getting the physical feedback (ok, an approximation of). no more visual illusion trying to convice me of gunfire, thankyouverymuch.

btw, for what it's worth, in my dream i was playing something that was a hybrid of a rail shooter and an FPS - movement was on rails, but the camera had relative freedom - you could not rotate it freely, but had around 25% yaw and pitch freedom. played superbly, but then again that comes from the dreams of a HOTD veteran ; )

While 30FPS isnt the best it is enought to play any game (in fact we can only see about 14FPS, IIRC), anyway I am personally expecting it to be relatively close to the XB version.

Human eye can see ~72FPS in "normal lighting conditions", even though it's not really "frames" we see.
We can detect "individual frames" even if they've shown for only 1/200th second (200FPS) if they're different enough from the other "frames"

Perhaps the most obvious way of showing what you can perceive with your eyes is CRT displays, 75Hz and there's no flickering, 60Hz, and there is, 70Hz, there is.

Of course, it isn't that simple, for example ~48 FPS can be already seen as smooth movement (movie theaters - 24FPS movie, doubled due the "after image" caused by high contrast (dark room, bright lights)
The darker it is, the smaller FPS seems smooth (possibly goes to ultra-brightness too, dunno)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaotik already said it best, but you're thinking of the rate at which something starts to appear as a single animation for most people -- hardly ideal.

Yeah but pc999 is partially right: many games are completely acceptable at 30fps to most people. Heck, if you were a fan of games on PS1 and N64 you are well aware of this. N64 could hardly pull that off most of the time. :)

It's definitely not the point of diminishing returns though. 100 fps is probably a good peak for useful benefit though. I think 60 fps is when things are basically truly fluid, and that's what console games usually strive for.

Yeah but pc999 is partially right: many games are completely acceptable at 30fps to most people. Heck, if you were a fan of games on PS1 and N64 you are well aware of this. N64 could hardly pull that off most of the time. :)

It's definitely not the point of diminishing returns though. 100 fps is probably a good peak for useful benefit though. I think 60 fps is when things are basically truly fluid, and that's what console games usually strive for.
Yes, 60FPS is generally accepted as "as fluid as it gets", first of all it's nice round number, and secondly, we don't usually play in daylight lighting conditions :cool:

Kaotik already said it best, but you're thinking of the rate at which something starts to appear as a single animation for most people -- hardly ideal.

Is that what I mean, sorry for the confusion still this is twice as that.

Anyway 30FPS is already more than most things we see on the TV (and some of them very fast, like martial arts movies) and it is enought for anything (or at least almost), even if it isnt ideal (personally I am a big fan of 60FPS).

Meybe there is still hope for a 60 FPS.

Yes, 60FPS is generally accepted as "as fluid as it gets", first of all it's nice round number, and secondly, we don't usually play in daylight lighting conditions :cool:

Also the fastest attainable on TVs, and guaranteed to be supported by all displays.
Plus it gets expensive to film at higher framerates.

Anyway 30FPS is already more than most things we see on the TV...

Yeah, except that TV "frame" is the sum of everything that happened in 1/30th of a second, while a computer frame is what happened at time t (ie no duration, instant shot).
So it's VERY different.

Yeah, except that TV "frame" is the sum of everything that happened in 1/30th of a second, while a computer frame is what happened at time t (ie no duration, instant shot).
So it's VERY different.

Fair enought, didnt thought on that.

Back