First Famitsu PS3 game reviews arrived

I don't think these guys are any authority whatsoever on FPS's.
¨
I think they are, but not for us, however I think the japanese people think that those scores are accurate for their tastes. The cultural differences are so large that it creates "funny" situations like these. Based on previous reviews on Famitsu, I wouldn't find too suprising if Resistance gets better scores in the west.

¨
I think they are, but not for us, however I think the japanese people think that those scores are accurate for their tastes. The cultural differences are so large that it creates "funny" situations like these. Based on previous reviews on Famitsu, I wouldn't find too suprising if Resistance gets better scores in the west.

No kidding. And even Famitsu's score aren't indicative of Japanese tastes, really. Take for instance Metal Gear Ac!d, which I think is their highest rated PSP game ...

I am responding to what appeared to be surprise at these review scores. I'm saying that it is not surprising to me if this game does not get the type of reception that make it the type of game that will be remembered years from now (meaning 10/10/9/9) for example.

But some of the games you quoted in comparison (e.g. Halo2) did not get scores like that..hence my point about not using Famitsu as a comparative metric for FPS games.

also, 40 players to me certainly does not equal a great online experience and in fact can be nothing short of frustrating playing with asshats who refuse to cooperate.

Well asshats are a problem in virtually any online game I've played. But 40 players is just one of the "paper" features that make it sound as appealing as it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
From my experience all I can say is that you should take Famitsu's reviews with less than a grain of salt.

Once one of our company's games got a kind of lackluster score when compared to that of most other reviews, and the write-up was just flat out wrong, so one of the marketing guys confronted Famitsu about it by asking them "How long did you play this game before reviewing it?". To which Famitsu replied, "Please forgive us. Only 20 minutes." So, we asked them to publish an apology in the magazine and a re-review to which the literally begged us to forgive as it would completely demolish the credibility of the magazine.

The same thing happened to Nintendo years ago. Nintendo made the bold decision to cut all ties with Famitsu, and Famitsu accordingly threatened them by saying they would refuse to cover all Nintendo content, but Nintendo didn't budge. So a Nintendo-less Famitsu was published for a bit until it became clear that no one was going to buy their magazine without them. Famitsu went back to printing Nintendo materail, but to this day Nintendo gives absolutely zero information to Famitsu that's why you'll never see a single interview or exclusive from them.

On top of their shoddy review system all information published in the magazine is bought word for word. They literally call up companies, and say, "Hey we hear you are working on this game how much are you gonna pay to have us cover it." They publish exactly what companies give them word for word, and if you don't give them worldwide exclusivity they'll totally trash your games in reviews.

Anyway, crap magazine. Never trust it.

Hello!

What does the "Resistance vs. GeoW discussion have to do with this thread??? That is completely off-topic. This thread will be pruned. Anybody else wanting to go off on a tangent, be prepared for a little break coming your way.

So hard to say really, this is the same magazine that gives the same score to a COD fodderware as it does to Halo 2, like Titanio says, I don't think these guys are any authority whatsoever on FPS's.

Or they could have been less than amazed by normal mapping, uninfluenced by the months of hype, not prone to swoon over an American Badass Lone Ranger Army Dude-type of hero, disappointed by the repetitive single-player campain that hadn't changed too much from Halo 1, and annoyed by the lack of a proper ending. I'm going to guess that Japanese reviewers probably look a lot harder at the single player campaign than the Live component.

Famitsu are sony whores. Besides that, launchgames always get higher grades than they deserve. We saw it on x360 and we will probably see it on ps3 an wii too. So taking all games one point down is probably more realistic though even then resistance and riiiiidge racerrrrrr are still looking to be good games :)

To bad ps3 is so expansive and isnt available in Europe in November.

Or they could have been less than amazed by normal mapping, uninfluenced by the months of hype, not prone to swoon over an American Badass Lone Ranger Army Dude-type of hero, disappointed by the repetitive single-player campain that hadn't changed too much from Halo 1, and annoyed by the lack of a proper ending. I'm going to guess that Japanese reviewers probably look a lot harder at the single player campaign than the Live component.

So they are good FPS reviewers and Resistance is an 8 range game?
________
Park Royal 3 Condominium

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont really rely on Famitsu with FPS reviews lol doesnt mean resistnace is better than what there sayin as i havent even touched it just sayin it could be better or even worse. cool tho

Back