First Colin McRae: Dirt Preview(Xbox360)

chris100

Newcomer
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=160015
Seriously, those shockingly realistic screenshots are absolutely true to the in-game graphics. We seen it and played it. The scenic detail in Colin McRae: Dirt is astonishing. Playing it on a sweet 40-inch HD TV, we could see every blade of grass in the thick forestry that lines the dirt tracks as we raced along.

Compare this to the usual flat green texture with the odd stick off solid grass you see in other racers - PGR 3 and Gran Turismo HD included - and you can see why this is special.

As you hammer your car over the dusty surfaces the wheels kick up an insane amount of dust, and on a HD TV you'll see the particles within the cloud fade away realistically over time. Indeed, dirt has never looked so good.

The lighting is equally as astonishing. You'll pass under trees to see the shadows of individual leaves cast onto your motor as the beams of light sneaks through the gaps in the overhead vegetation. And this is topped off by some really nice depth of field (or focus blur) - giving the distant scenery a slight haze while the ultra-realistic

The lighting is equally as astonishing. You'll pass under trees to see the shadows of individual leaves cast onto your motor as the beams of light sneaks through the gaps in the overhead vegetation. And this is topped off by some really nice depth of field (or focus blur) - giving the distant scenery a slight haze while the ultra-realistic cars stay as pin-sharp as you like.

With a little taming of the difficulty, this game will be an absolute beauty. It looks shockingly awesome, handles brilliantly and the physics and real-time damage models are equally as impressive.

Nice to see codemaster makes another awesome rally games!!

By "old screens" do you guys mean there are newer ones which are better or worse or ?

This game has been looking great to me and is one of the few must-haves for me this year.

(Hopefully I'm not about to get disapointed with newer (downgraded) screens ...)

Last edited by a moderator:
By "old screens" do you guys mean the newer ones are better or worse or ?
What newer ones? These screens look like the Dirt screens we had in the thread when discussing the new engine on PS3 (certainly the two 'amazing' bottom ones that i looked at).

To be clear, I don't mean 'look like' as in 'they have the same appearance of odl screen shots' but 'they are screenshots released months ago'. They appear to be actually be old screenshots. from PS3 no less! ;)

What newer ones? These screens look like the Dirt screens we had in the thread when discussing the new engine on PS3 (certainly the two 'amazing' bottom ones that i looked at).

To be clear, I don't mean 'look like' as in 'they have the same appearance of odl screen shots' but 'they are screenshots released months ago'. They appear to be actually be old screenshots. from PS3 no less! ;)

Sorry Shifty ...edited

IIRC the NEON engine used for this game was developed by Codemasters with assistance from SCE. The engine was designed to work well with Cell but also be usable on other platforms.

http://www.developmag.com/news/2459...asters-and-Sonys-illuminating-next-gen-engine

You gotta get with the times! :cool:

http://linuxps3.net/articles/technology/sonys-pssg-project.html

With a whole thread on the SCE aspect it back in October:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=35010

I hope the codies step it up - the previous games haven't been all that in terms of driving behaviour. I found it somewhat disappointing that the rally driving in Gran Turismo 4 was so much more satisfying ... if this new version manages to feel at least as good as driving a Subaru Impreza Rally Car on Grand Canyon in GT$, then I'm sold. If not, don't wake me up when this is released. Maybe a next-gen version of Richard Burns will do the trick, if that ever gets a sequel with a half-decent budget.

This one is certainly on my radar.

If we find out that Evolution Studios is working on another WRC then I may have to wait and see.

I really like the overall art direction of this game especially the lighting, it looks similar to global illumination. If the gameplay aspects measure up, it's bought. It's good that the X360 version looks like those screenshots.

This one is certainly on my radar.

If we find out that Evolution Studios is working on another WRC then I may have to wait and see.

I think evolution is co-developing DLC for Motorstorm (1) and planning on making Motorstorm 2 next.

Back