Firmware 2.41 available... *

While I am sure the community enriches gaming, I think their most important contribution is "AI". Chatting has nothing to do with that though.

I suppose its different strokes for different folks. I'm more into the human element when playing online, meaning interaction. When I tried Warhawk I found it fun for a while but it got boring very quickly because of the total silence while playing. The opponents didn't seem human to me after a while, and eventually playing online seemed pointless. Your mileage may vary though.

Ostepop, AzBat, etc summarized it nice, all I can suggest Shifty is that you give XBLive a try someday. It's so far ahead of psn in terms of social interactivity, content, etc, that I think you may be startled at the difference. Chatting is the norm in 360 online play and it's a total blast because you never know who you'll be talking with, it might someone young, old, female, from Italy, or where ever. Sometimes the strangest of conversations will develop during a game and its hilarious, you just never know what will happen. Without chatting, the online opponents may as well be AI bots, it's not much of a social experience at all.
And it also might be some retard that insists on making fart noises throughout the entire game or someone joined as English just to talk in a foreign language to pee people off.

Chat is not the be all and end all.

I soon removed my headset and discovered how to completely disable "chat" with my 360.

For some reason, I don't feel like talking even when playing MP games. I don't mind typing though. I know people who play at late night and can't talk loudly too.

I hardly use my mic as I play ranked games mostly and want full attention + it's why I also could care less about music too.

I like typing and using the animated icons but they need to add more.

I hardly use my mic as I play ranked games mostly and want full attention + it's why I also could care less about music too.

I like typing and using the animated icons but they need to add more.

Same here. I think it was Source engine games that soured me on voice chat. BF2 made it more tolerable but eventually I was playing BF2 with no headphones at all to avoid the noise. I'm with patsu in that the advantage of online play is human AI, not human interaction.

And it also might be some retard that insists on making fart noises throughout the entire game or someone joined as English just to talk in a foreign language to pee people off.

Well thats griefers for you, they can ruin any online game with or without chat. Just bail the game and join another. If you let griefers dictate how you play online, then you've missed out. But like I said, different strokes for different folks, if no voice contact with other players works for you then I guess stick with that.

The difference between being able to talk during a clanwar so we can make a decent strategy and playing ranked games by my self is pretty big. All the teamwork the game was designed for is basically lost. Standard headsets would be a big improvement. That still leaves the problem of different languages here in europe. The easiest thing to do would be having everyone speak english. But not everyone can or wants to speak english. Our clans only two rules exist because of this. A headset is required and you need to speak our language.

The difference between being able to talk during a clanwar so we can make a decent strategy and playing ranked games by my self is pretty big. All the teamwork the game was designed for is basically lost. Standard headsets would be a big improvement. That still leaves the problem of different languages here in europe. The easiest thing to do would be having everyone speak english. But not everyone can or wants to speak english. Our clans only two rules exist because of this. A headset is required and you need to speak our language.

When are the realtime translation programs coming. That'd be such great software if possible :D

People talk all the time on PC games and on Xbox Live. I think your basing this only on your PSN experience.
Evidently, seeing as I wrote...
Is this different across different platforms?
;)

But yeah, I agree with your observations. A lack of mic means most players aren't set up to talk, and when you do get talkie games, if the implementation is pants, those with mics don't bother using them. Warhawk is too often a garbled mess, although much clearer if you find the secrets to setting up your network buried in the manual. But even then it's hit and miss if you'll understand anyone talking. So you just don't bother. I suppose something like this needs a critical mass for people to 'jump in'. No-one but the most self-obsessed is gonna start talking on their own!

Sony just don't get online and community!

To kinda bring this back somewhat on topic, does the PS3 have tools to mute, avoid, block or complain about players? The comments I've seen of people complaining of the voice use could be helped by having such tools. Don't like a player? Mute him. Does he get worse? Avoid the player by rating him. If it's really severe, then block communications or file a complaint. The 360 has these and I think it's the one reason the experience is superior to the experience I've had at least on the PC.

Tommy McClain

PS3 doesn't have these things as standard. Developers need to ad those things their games themselves. Which means out of all PS3 games there is only 1 who has all of those except the ability to complain. Its Resistance, and the complete absence of any of those feature's in all newly released games keeps reminding me how great it is. Thats the downside of Sony's open platform. And why should they ad these feature's, when they don't have to. The competition isn't doing it, and gamers aren't asking for it because they weren't used to such things in the PS2 days. The worst part is that there isn't really anything being done to improve the situation. I think those feature's will remain a rare sight in PS3 games this generation.

I suppose its different strokes for different folks. I'm more into the human element when playing online, meaning interaction. When I tried Warhawk I found it fun for a while but it got boring very quickly because of the total silence while playing. The opponents didn't seem human to me after a while, and eventually playing online seemed pointless. Your mileage may vary though.

If you like socializing with other gamers, you should join a clan though. The GAF folks are pretty good at making jokes and gaming. Over the longer term, you will develop custom strategies tailored to your clan's strength. This is very clear in RFOM.

I ran with the GAF RFOM and MGO clans just because I like the company, but I still mute my communication in case noise from the office make it to the game world :) So I welcomed mixed mode communication.

The difference between being able to talk during a clanwar so we can make a decent strategy and playing ranked games by my self is pretty big. All the teamwork the game was designed for is basically lost. Standard headsets would be a big improvement. That still leaves the problem of different languages here in europe. The easiest thing to do would be having everyone speak english. But not everyone can or wants to speak english.Our clans only two rules exist because of this. A headset is required and you need to speak our language.

Yes. The language problem is real for me too... since I game at odd hours.

PS3 doesn't have these things as standard. Developers need to ad those things their games themselves. Which means out of all PS3 games there is only 1 who has all of those except the ability to complain. Its Resistance, and the complete absence of any of those feature's in all newly released games keeps reminding me how great it is. Thats the downside of Sony's open platform. And why should they ad these feature's, when they don't have to. The competition isn't doing it, and gamers aren't asking for it because they weren't used to such things in the PS2 days. The worst part is that there isn't really anything being done to improve the situation. I think those feature's will remain a rare sight in PS3 games this generation.

I believe you can black list people in XMB. if the game developers are integrated with the XMB friends list, they will obey the black list. Haven't tried it though.

"I'll send a message to Jeff in the ordinary way." And why doesn't he show putting in a message? Because it takes half an hour on a controller for input!

It does look nice, though needs an autopause for the game, but I can't help but feel disappointed that the principle need for XMB (IMO) wasn't addressed. If cross-game voice chat isn't here in 2.4 with in-game XMB, will it ever be added?

"I'll send a message to Jeff in the ordinary way." And why doesn't he show putting in a message? Because it takes half an hour on a controller for input!

It does look nice, though needs an autopause for the game, but I can't help but feel disappointed that the principle need for XMB (IMO) wasn't addressed. If cross-game voice chat isn't here in 2.4 with in-game XMB, will it ever be added?

You can see the Chat icon...and he did say "you can do everything"...

And it doesn't take me long to type a message on the controller...

He was just showing that it can be done + it has predictive text so I imagine that would be even faster then say the 360 pad with keyboard.

Autopause is no big deal to me and maybe it will pause for new games if they want it to add it. They added almost everything so why stop.

Looks real nice.:D

You can see the Chat icon...and he did say "you can do everything"...

And it doesn't take me long to type a message on the controller...

That besides the point. Being able to chat with someone playing a different game, or not game at all should be standard. It may not take long for you to type a single message, but when you get to a conversation its very tedious.

I really really like the addition of the music access. I didn't have the sound on, but I sure hope this is for ALL games and not a select few.

Ohh, Wednesday.

Might inspire me to fire up GT5:p again if they have something implemented for trophies.

Lost interest in it when they made the Elise suck.

Back