Finland

Well that is exactly some sort of Sami (Kven is one of those, isn't it?) you are describing, not Finnish. Consonants in Finnish are pretty much as 'hard' (what's the proper term?) as they can get, there is no way you can mix p/k/t with b/g/d.

EDIT: Sorry, Kven isn't Sami, now that I educated myself about it... Maybe some scandic influences have rounded the consonants a little there. Or is it it just that what you associate with p/k/t natively is in fact ph/kh/th, and plain p/k/t sound foreign to you?
Perkele is pronounced kinda like bergele, no? or am I completely misinformed? Remember, I have been mostly exposed to northern Finnish.

oops...........
the cheese confused me (no wonder my fondue tasted funny)

please join me in a recital of the finish national anthem

Finland, Finland, Finland
The country where I want to be
Pony trekking or camping
Or just watching TV

It's the country for me

You're so near to Russia
So far from Japan
Quite a long way from Cairo
Lots of miles from Vietnam

The country where I want to be
Eating breakfast or dinner
Or snack lunch in the hall

Finland has it all

You're so sadly neglected
And often ignored
A poor second to Belgium
When going abroad

The country where I quite want to be
Your mountains so lofty
Your treetops so tall

Finland has it all

The country where I quite want to be
Your mountains so lofty
Your treetops so tall

Finland has it all
Finland has it all

Perkele is pronounced kinda like bergele, no? or am I completely misinformed? Remember, I have been mostly exposed to northern Finnish.

Well OK, pronouncing words a bit like that is part of the stereotypical image of an old men with bad teeth, sitting in the wilderness in the middle of Lapland, as in classic TV ads for Johnson OFF mosquito repellants..

But with that specific word, especially in the usual circumstances it is used, it is natural for most people to use as hard and as blunt pronunciation as possible. Preferably with maximum volume.

Well OK, pronouncing words a bit like that is part of the stereotypical image of an old men with bad teeth, sitting in the wilderness in the middle of Lapland, as in classic TV ads for Johnson OFF mosquito repellants..

But with that specific word, especially in the usual circumstances it is used, it is natural for most people to use as hard and as blunt pronunciation as possible. Preferably with maximum volume.
Haha, well, I guess I have only been exposed to that kind of Finnish dialect. BeRRRRgele :D

Well, they do have the bar with the longest name in the world. I guess that might carry weight with some people... :)

For the original poster and anyone else with similar inclinations - you probably have already read it, but Wikitravel covers pretty much everything there is to know about Finland.

Back