Finally....

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
fireworks3.gif

Finally a US citizen. I just got back from my oath ceremony. It was incredible, about 200 people became citizens with me.

It seemed like just about everyone was represented, different races, religions, ages. Quite a few people cried when the judged announced that we had just become US citizens. These events should be televised. :)

kirit
ps where are the dancing panda emoticons?

America is like no other country on earth. You can move to France, live the rest of your life there, but you can never truely be French. You can move to Japan, spend the rest of your life there, but you can never truely be Japanese.

But you can move to America and become a TRUE American.

Congrats Epic, our newest American.

epicstruggle said:
Thank you. :)
born:Johannesburg, South Africa

I also lived in brazil for almost 10 years.

epic

Indeed. Enjoy your citizenship to the fullest! That means buy firearms of ridiculous caliber, for THAT is the American dream.

Jim Norton said:
Indeed. Enjoy your citizenship to the fullest! That means buy firearms of ridiculous caliber, for THAT is the American dream.

Don't forget about transportation!

You have to buy a vehicle that's far too large for your needs and uses far too much gas too.

Congratulations Epic! I know it was a long hard journey...but you made it!

Though we often differ in our beliefs, I know that we still share a love of our country.

Powderkeg except as an immigrant citizen u are never totally 100% equal. At least in the US, how is that law constitutional? I thought all must be equal or something? Unfortunately you can't vote for Epic for President.

thank you all. :) Today I feel like I belong. Monday I plan on getting registered to vote. I hope i keep a perfect record for voting. Ive waited a long time to do it, and dont want to take it for granted.

epic

Blitzkrieg said:
Powderkeg except as an immigrant citizen u are never totally 100% equal.

Yes you are. A naturalized citizen has all of the same rights as a native. The only time that changes is in the rare instance where someone is caught spying, or something like that in which case their citizenship can be revoked, but other than that it's 100% the same rights.

I know, my wife is an immigrant.

epicstruggle said:
thank you all. :) Today I feel like I belong. Monday I plan on getting registered to vote. I hope i keep a perfect record for voting. Ive waited a long time to do it, and dont want to take it for granted.

epic

There is only 1 downside to voting.

Jury duty.

Powderkeg said:
There is only 1 downside to voting.

Jury duty.

Depends on where you live, I believe. Here in California you can get pulled for Jury without voting.

Jury duty. Man i wish i lived in DC for that. Can you imagine some of the high profile cases they deal with? Jury duty here i come. :)

epic

Kirit, congradulations on the epicVictory, although honestly I think most of us already accepted you are a 'real' American :smile: We hope your wife can join you soon, safely and happily!

Ps- What is the line on when Epic will turn to the Dem side? :devilish:

Powderkeg said:
America is like no other country on earth. You can move to France, live the rest of your life there, but you can never truely be French. You can move to Japan, spend the rest of your life there, but you can never truely be Japanese.

But you can move to America and become a TRUE American.
I'm every bit as Australian as my neighbour, despite spending the first third of my life on the other side of the world. There are plenty of countries that embrace immigrants, and to a higher degree than the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ty said:
Depends on where you live, I believe. Here in California you can get pulled for Jury without voting.

Jury selection is based on voter registration. If you are a registered voter you are in line for jury duty.

Fodder said:
I'm every bit as Australian as my neighbour, despite spending the first third of my life on the other side of the world. There are plenty of countries that embrace immigrants, and to a higher degree than the US.

Yeah, everything is backwards in Australia. You accept immigrants with open arms and oppress the aboriginal peoples.

Ty's right, in California it is both voter regs and licensed drivers. I've been on Jury duty twice, for three trials in California. The second notice had my name on the summons the way it was on my driver's license, not the way it was on my voter reg (middle name spelled out instead of middle initial).

Grabbed at random:

http://www.monterey.courts.ca.gov/jury_duty_FAQs.html#who

You have been selected at random from the DMV or Voter Registration records to serve as a prospective trial juror in the Superior and Municipal Courts in the County of Monterey. California Code of Civil Procedure Section 204 states, “No eligible person shall be exempt from service as a trial juror by reason of occupation, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or economic status, or for any other reason.â€￾

Back