Fifa & pes 2010

Have to admit no, didn't look for them.

In real life, of course the elite players make shots from say 5-10 meters outside the box.

But in this game, especially online, where several human-controlled defenders will kick away the ball or slide tackle you like crazy, if you get that close to the goal, you're just as likely to be able to get into the box and from there, if you get the shot off, you're likely to beat the goalie anyways.

So it doesn't seem like you need to take the longer shots.

Are the bars in the set pieces too?

In real life, of course the elite players make shots from say 5-10 meters outside the box.

Not wanting to belabour the point, but that tuber Heikki360 is something of an elite player himself, and when using in-game elite players can score from far outside the box if the opportunity presents itself. Some examples (all from online matches)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULmQnU-lRY&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwe7fVJC_YQ&feature=channel

My favourite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDQtIbkCbMU&feature=player_profilepage#

And yes, the bars are in set pieces like free kicks and corners too.

Im sorry but that just means you havent practiced hard enough.
As a computer game designed to be fun, I'd hope that players wouldn't have to practice to be able to achieve the sorts of kicks you'd expect from some of these players! Isn't the idea that I can take control of <fantastic player> and have them play fantastically? It's a bit pants if Roonie can't get anywhere near the goal when you press the Shoot button.

As a computer game designed to be fun, I'd hope that players wouldn't have to practice to be able to achieve the sorts of kicks you'd expect from some of these players! Isn't the idea that I can take control of <fantastic player> and have them play fantastically? It's a bit pants if Roonie can't get anywhere near the goal when you press the Shoot button.

I was trying to be polite, and didn't want to tell him that he simply sucks at Fifa.

If you play with a fantastic player and set shooting to automatic, its no problem at all for even the biggest newbie to score amazing goals from distances. You only need to have the player properly balanced, and hit the ball with the correct foot (which is my biggest problem when shooting from range).

I think automatic is cheating, and thus use manual\semi which requires a bit more skill (also because automatic sometimes doesn't choose the best placement of the shot).

But in this game, especially online, where several human-controlled defenders will kick away the ball or slide tackle you like crazy, if you get that close to the goal, you're just as likely to be able to get into the box and from there, if you get the shot off, you're likely to beat the goalie anyways.

So it doesn't seem like you need to take the longer shots.

Wierd logic imo? The longer shots are definately useful when playing vs skilled players who don't let you get inside the box.Also, since some (ingame) players are fantastic at long shots but not so fantastic at finishing, many players have a higher chance of scoring from range.

Are the bars in the set pieces too?
Yes.

Not wanting to belabour the point, but that tuber Heikki360 is something of an elite player himself, and when using in-game elite players can score from far outside the box if the opportunity presents itself. Some examples (all from online matches)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULmQnU-lRY&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwe7fVJC_YQ&feature=channel

My favourite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDQtIbkCbMU&feature=player_profilepage#

And yes, the bars are in set pieces like free kicks and corners too.

On the last one, he could have probably gotten into the box and gotten a easier chance. But how do you keep the ball low at full power, point the left stick down?

How did you capture the videos, video camera pointed at your TV?

He is not shooting at full power! You clearly see that hes shooting at far less than that, look at the bars. You still get hard shots if the player your shooting with has good shoot power.

For example, shoting at 1 bar with ronaldo is usually harder than what most average players will shoot at full power

How exactly do you curve the ball? It isn't explained anywhere as far as I can tell, but I did it by accident once. If I want to shoot wide of the goal, but have the ball curve just inside the post, who would I go about trying to do that?

Freekicks:

Hold R1 down, and shoot with the normal button.
To get topspin\downspin, hold the left stick up\down. To curve the ball, move the left stick the the right\left when your pressing the shoot button.

This is a lot harder in 10 than in 09 because the curvature will depend on how good your player is at curving the ball, so you gotta "learn" each player you take freekicks with.

Outside of freekicks in fifa10 im not sure how to control curving. Im sure top\downspin works the same way but curving to the sides im not sure, i just utilize the fact that i know if i cut in from the left towards the centre and fire with the left foot with R1, good players will curve the ball to the left, around the goalies reach and into the back of the net :) Opposite from the other side ;)

I thought there were yellow/orange bars there.

I play mostly OTP games, with at least 2 or 3 human opponents. So there's a lot of human-initiated tackling including slide tackling.

Most of the goals in these multiplayer games come from breakaways. That means you're sprinting for some distance and trying to get shots off before defenders catch up from behind or the side, and before the goalie often rushes up.

So it's easier to get into the box and from there, you almost always beat the goalie without using too much power or aiming for the corners of the goal.

So I've had FIFA 10 for about a week now, playing mostly OTP games.

More responsive controls but it is harder for forwards to make runs from midfield to inside the box. The defenders are better able to win the ball than in 09.

However, the best way to score still remains getting into the box rather than attempt a longer shot. I did try practicing the R1 and left stick combination but too many shots sail over.

Seeing a fair number of attempts to chip shot because it's a known flaw in goalie AI.

My son is destroying me in FIFA but we love it, this is the first soccer/futbol title I have ever purchased and now I need to grab a second copy so I can practice. I'm always Real Madrid he is always Barcelona and we normally play with Mexican Spanish commentators; excellent game.

Back