Far Cry 360/PC Comparison

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
The wave effect seems realy over done in the 360 version, i dont imagine that tropical waves are like that in real life.

are you trying to downplaying in some ways the 360 version or I'm wrong (it has hdr? oh.. it has, so let's search other defect..)?

in your opinion the waves are not photo realistic?

came on, off course it's not: this is not cg, is only a big big improvement of a unfinished engine from a pc version ;)

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
The wave effect seems realy over done in the 360 version, i dont imagine that tropical waves are like that in real life.

Well, there are so many other things that are not realistic in that game, that I don't think that people will complain that they waves are a few cm higher than they should be, as long as they look kick ass...

fulcizombie said:
FarCry360 has an entirely new chapter plus Insticts(which is different and, depite worse graphics than the PC*I am talking for the xbox version*, a better game than the PC FarCry).

So in essence you get Insticts ,with better than" PC at maximum detail" graphics and at 60 fps, and a new chapter of the FarCry saga(sic...).I bet that many people who love FarCry would like a game like that and judging by the new IGN video the developers are hard at work of improving the graphics even more!!!

Also the talk about Farcry being a "2 year old game" is kinda funny since it could be argued that FC(PC) is still the best looking FPS.Bringing an unreleased game/engine(which probably won't come out until 2007) to prove that Predator doesn't look good is even funnier(or more pathetic).
i never said Predator looked bad, it's just Crysis looked THAT much better. i didnt know Predator Instinct has a new story to it though, i guess i'll give it a go if it proves to be interesting. after all i enjoyed Farcry more than Doom3 and HL2.

ultragpu said:
i never said Predator looked bad, it's just Crysis looked THAT much better. i didnt know Predator Instinct has a new story to it though, i guess i'll give it a go if it proves to be interesting. after all i enjoyed Farcry more than Doom3 and HL2.

interesting except for a little detail:
crysis doesn't yet exist, nor there are released screens or video from the game
crysis is 2 years far in the future, if I'm not wrong

we have only a video from a demo of the engine, as like 1 year past we have some videos of U3engine but no one single screen from Unreal3 or unreal2007

in my opinion is senseless compare a actual game, with a game from the future that no one has seen yet

Griffith said:
interesting except for a little detail:
crysis doesn't yet exist, nor there are released screens or video from the game
crysis is 2 years far in the future, if I'm not wrong

we have only a video from a demo of the engine, as like 1 year past we have some videos of U3engine but no one single screen from Unreal3 or unreal2007

in my opinion is senseless compare a actual game, with a game from the future that no one has seen yet

Crysis is 60% complete and due out end of the year ;)

fulcizombie said:
Insticts, which is different and, depite worse graphics than the PC*I am talking for the xbox version*, a better game than the PC FarCry.

I didn't find Instincts better, not even close, PC Far Cry had huge open environments which made the console version feel very claustrophopic, the Xbox version had some things going for it, but overall I found it clearly inferior.

Dr Evil said:
I didn't find Instincts better, not even close, PC Far Cry had huge open environments which made the console version feel very claustrophopic, the Xbox version had some things going for it, but overall I found it clearly inferior.
Actually i ve played far cry at pc for almost 7 months.
Today i saw the 720p clip and now i am sure that the 360 version is head and shoulders above the pc version.
For example you can notice that the dual smg weapons have double polycount and normal map than the pc version...

I would like to explain me how a 2 km draw-distance make the 360 version feel very claustrophopic. :smile:

groper said:
Actually i ve played far cry at pc for almost 7 months.
Today i saw the 720p clip and now i am sure that the 360 version is head and shoulders above the pc version.
For example you can notice that the dual smg weapons have double polycount and normal map than the pc version...

I would like to explain me how a 2 km draw-distance make the 360 version feel very claustrophopic. :smile:

Well I was talking about the Xbox1 version, I'm not sure if the new one is differerent, maybe the X360 is has more open environments, but the Instincts I played on my Xbox didn't really allow the player to aproach places from different routes and it felt very constricted to the PC-version. I wasn't talking about craphics at all...

Question for the graphics gurus. Is there some specific technique they're using to get that psuedo 3D look to the water and waves? Something to do with SM 3.0 perhaps? The water rendering in the TGS Warhawk trailer also displayed a similar quality of "depth" (for lack of a better term). In contrast most other water in past games despite looking very good on the reflective surface (Far Cry PC, Half Life 2 etc) still give way to looking rather two-dimensional overall.

Apologies for the layman nomenclature. ;)

Dr Evil said:
Well I was talking about the Xbox1 version, I'm not sure if the new one is differerent, maybe the X360 is has more open environments, but the Instincts I played on my Xbox didn't really allow the player to aproach places from different routes and it felt very constricted to the PC-version. I wasn't talking about craphics at all...

Well the new one obviously is different, you can see video's for yourself. FCI for xbox was never built to have huge sitelines like that.

Also, most reviews that I've read really liked FCI's style of gameplay, some actually preferred it, some didn't, but they all said it was still a great game.

Personally I thought it was decent, too much of a rail shooter for me though.

liverkick said:
Question for the graphics gurus. Is there some specific technique they're using to get that psuedo 3D look to the water and waves? Something to do with SM 3.0 perhaps? The water rendering in the TGS Warhawk trailer also displayed a similar quality of "depth" (for lack of a better term). In contrast most other water in past games despite looking very good on the reflective surface (Far Cry PC, Half Life 2 etc) still give way to looking rather two-dimensional overall.

Apologies for the layman nomenclature. ;)

Posting this quote just for a developer on this site to please answer. It's the question of the week and it needs answering.

Fatal Interia also had some great looking and realistic moving water too. Please answer the question please. How is it done?

Thanks.

mckmas8808 said:
Posting this quote just for a developer on this site to please answer. It's the question of the week and it needs answering.

Fatal Interia also had some great looking and realistic moving water too. Please answer the question please. How is it done?

Thanks.

Only the devs of those games will tell u how they do it, until we can get our hands on the games and investigate.
It's probably a mixture of geometry (real 3D waves) with advanced shaders. Obviously as time goes by, not only the hardware can make water prettier by using more advanced shaders, but more importantly, the artists and developers learn how to render more realistic water themselves. The hardware is only one side of the equation. Water is a real b|tch to do properly, and it takes some real understanding of how it works and why it looks the way it does, if you want your game (or even CGI movie) to have realistic water.

mckmas8808 said:

Thanks.

the devs says only that they have used procedural thing with the cores, they sayed exactly that they've used "oceanographic maps" for the waves, but I really don't have idea of what this means..

if you ask here, the devs will answer:

here Alaza-dev (one of the devs of far cry) talking

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/5161005423/m/6611075904

this is what I read from they:

The overall image is fantastic though, and reminiscent of the PC version. Plus, it's all at 60 frames per second, even now. The water, in particular, is fantastic, and as you crawl up the opening beach level with the tide the sand looks wet. "We really worked on the water to make it as realistic as we could. The game is better in terms of detail even than the PC, I think. On the water, we have an oceanographic algorithm for waves; we think it's the most realistic it can be right now."

take this as it is, maybe the very first time that some procedural detail is in a videogame, I'm wrong?

!eVo!-X Ant UK said:
Actually here in Hawaii the wave do tend to look like that when on the North Shore. In Waikiki the water is more flat cause they have installed a wall to force the waves to break father from land. People tend to swim more in Waikiki than they do on the North Shore.

Griffith said:
this is what I read from they:

On the water, we have an oceanographic algorithm for waves; we think it's the most realistic it can be right now."

Wow just the thought that it will get even better makes me want to watch their ocean water again. *plays video for the 1,000th time*

I´m not a programmer or anything so don´t burn me to much :p, but i´m going to try and explain how i think the water is done.

I´m guessing the developers are using "Vertex Texture Fetch (found in GF6 and up)" because the waves look alot like those from different tech pics showing of the function. And from what i know, VTF is used to displace a polygon face using a texture.
I´m guessing they´ve made a wavesimulator (of some sort) and coded it to output to a texture that the VTF can use. Then they have just written some good raflection/refraction shaders and there you go :).

I have absolutely no experience with VTF, and I haven´t actually read any papers on it either.

Back