Far Cry 3 announced

I can't bring myself to hate the game, it was sometimes fun and addicting to eliminate enemies and collect diamonds. I'd give it a 7/10, and I did buy it for only $15 on Steam. I have my fun moments with it.

If I was forced to rate it. Easily a 2/10. And the 2 is only because the graphics were quite good. Otherwise I'm afraid I'd go 0/10. Yes, I'm not kind. Already don't much like open world games, and this has to be the worst open world game...

Regards,
SB

Dont want.

You guys noticed the mouse accuracy on FC2 was a bit off, right? (a "bit" was a compliment)

The accuracy was horrible and reminded me of Splitfish fragFX for ps3. Analogue controls mapped to a mouse.

Dont want.

You guys noticed the mouse accuracy on FC2 was a bit off, right? (a "bit" was a compliment)

The accuracy was horrible and reminded me of Splitfish fragFX for ps3. Analogue controls mapped to a mouse.

It was all floaty and laggy. Setting an FPS cap through the console (gfx_fpsmax I think) to anything less than the refresh rate of your monitor (if you're using vsync) fixes it, but has to be done every time you start the game.

It was all floaty and laggy. Setting an FPS cap through the console (gfx_fpsmax I think) to anything less than the refresh rate of your monitor (if you're using vsync) fixes it, but has to be done every time you start the game.

Nope!

In "...\Documents\My Games\Far Cry 2" create a file named say GFX.bat. Inside this file (edit with Notepad) put the line "gfx_MaxFps 40" without qoutes and change the number to desired cap.

Now to your games shortcut add "-exec GFX.bat" without quotes.

Now everytime you start the game it will load override commands in the bat file. If you change any graphic settings or settings ingame then it will reset until restarted. A solution instead of restarting would be to type in the console prompt "exec GFX.bat" without quotes to call the override commands.

I got this in my bat file. It makes shadow transition LOD smoother with the cost being a reduction for detail though I play with highest settings for everything plus modded patch archvie containing increased detail and draw distance (to what seems engine limit!). I was going to go for 4096x4096 over the original 2048x2048 shadowmap res but engine cant handle it.

gfx_MaxFps 30
gfx_MaxHemiMapDistance 250
gfx_LeavesShadowRatio 1
gfx_SunshadowRange0 12
gfx_SunshadowRange1 30
gfx_SunshadowRange2 100

The "gfx_LeavesShadowRatio 1" value is great becouse it makes every leaf/branch cast shadows instead of original 0.5 (50%) regarding trees and bushes.

Lol, wish I'd known that when I was playing the game.

Actually, I wish Ubisoft would fix this so I don't have to myself, but that would be asking too much. :rolleyes:

I liked the original FC quite a bit, until you ran into those stupid apes. That was the point where FC broke my suspension of disbelief. I could deal with the puppet-like enemies that had infinite ammo and aimed right at you with rocket launchers from 200+ m away, but those damn stupid mutant apes were simply too much.

It simply deviates too much from the mood of the game that has been built up so far, and that's something that easily occurs in today's games now that computing tech allows us to make settings increasingly more realistic.

I agree with that. At that point in the game I was just like meh... more of the same (same being just like any other game)

Avatar was done with the Dunia engine. If you didn't like FC2, you're unlikely to like Avatar :) Worth looking at the demo to check out the graphics though...

Avatar was done with the Dunia engine. If you didn't like FC2, you're unlikely to like Avatar :) Worth looking at the demo to check out the graphics though...

It was? I thought everyone was saying it was done with the Unreal Engine? At least that's what they were saying in the console forum.

Regards,
SB

I blame old age. I could have sworn there was discussion of it using the UE3 engine, now I'm going nuts trying to think of what game I'm confusing with Avatar. :p

Regards,
SB

Firingsquad said it was an excellent 3d title, for the Nvidia 3d glasses approach, if anyone has gone down that route...

Far Cry 3 on PC will surpass console versions, Ubi says

lead game designer Jamie Keen:

"The PC does have a lot more grunt under the hood - or it can have grunt - so there's a lot more that we can push there," said Keen. "That doesn't mean to say, 'Let's only push PC and leave the consoles behind.' We will keep pushing to get as much out of the consoles as we possibly can.

"When we do finally unveil what the console versions looks like, I think people are are going to be surprised. Yeah, there are going to be differences, but it might not be as much as people realise."

"That's why we're making no bones about this being on PC, and everything that goes along with that," said Keen. "There are going to be areas where the consoles aren't going to be able to push things as much as the PC can.

It's no less then I'd expect at this point but still nice to hear. FC3 is definately one I'm watching although I'm not wetting myself over it just yet.

FC2 would have been good except that it sucked... I hope they can correct that.

Back