Fan died what are chances proc damaged.

quest55720

Regular
I went to turn on my computer today and get into windows and MBM alerted me that the CPU fan was at 0 rpm. I turned off the computer instantly I took the side of the case off and moved the fan power cable to other headers each time I turned on the computer for a few seconds. I was wondering what are the chances I damaged my athon xp 3000+? The fan is dead I have to order a new HSF.

pretty low--most of the new motherboards (NF7-S sure does) will scale back the clockspeed a LOT if there's no cooling.

The Baron said:
pretty low--most of the new motherboards (NF7-S sure does) will scale back the clockspeed a LOT if there's no cooling.

I have a first revision AN7X deluxe or something like that. The first ASUS nforce 2 MB.

Also looking for recomendations for a replacement HSF does not have to be ultra quiet Ill trade some noise for performance.

quest55720 said:
I have a first revision AN7X deluxe or something like that. The first ASUS nforce 2 MB.

From what I've read, the Asus A7N8X sounds to be the one you are using.

It should have a thermal trip mechanism.

Since you yourself shut down the computer each time, then there's little chance of damage. It would have shut down without you if things had gotten too hot. In addition, short periods of time without a fan are buffered by the heatsink's mass, so there's little chance of an issue with it still attached.

Back