Extreme graphic styles...are they o.k. to compare?

N3xtG3nGam3r

Newcomer
I was recently discussing the release of Virtua Fighter 5 on another sites forums, and it was overwhelmed by a rediculous amount of people that seemed to mention DOA4 for no reason, taking numerous stabs at it. They not only ridiculed the graphic style, and said VF destroyed it, but also that the fighting system in DOA is shallow.

Comparing the two, are basically opposite extremes, whereas one goes for gritty, realism, and the other goes for smooth, anime-like.

Aside from that, i was wondering, since there are alot of people here of whom actually program, and sculpt in 3d...which one do you think looks better and why? Now, im not talking personal preference, but possibly what game is more impressive graphically, and if you could maybe exploit some of the techniques sega and team ninja used in the games, i would appreciate it.

And on a more personal note, the latest screenshots of VF look very sloppy, blurry, low res textured, with low poly count on character models, etc. Thats just what i have seen though. Although DOA has its faults, mostly in the hair physics, i thought DOA looked much nicer, crisper, cleaner, and smoother. Smoother in terms of poly count, as well in terms of nice shading.

Anyways, lay it out for me please.

The generic syndrome you're describing is one such that anyone who likes one particular game must declare that its competitors (especially polar opposites) are inherently trash and must be spoken of in such a way irrespective of all else...

What I see in VF series is a need to make a fighter more rooted in reality -- not so much that you do things that are physically reasonable, but that you use moves which are at least genuine facsimiles of their counterparts. Its gameplay is one that takes real effort and practice to get reasonably good at it for that matter. Which is why it is much more likely for a VF player than a DOA player to develop "favorite" characters on some basis deeper than "who's got legs up to her face."

What I see in the DOA series is an effort to make an everyman's pop culture fighter. The art style is anime-ish and so are the moves (more effort to make "cool" moves than "real" ones). Secondly, the gameplay is designed so that a total beginner can pick it up and run with it while someone who's been playing forever can still wipe the floor with them -- which is actually a very difficult thing to do from a design standpoint, not that any gamer outside the industry is capable of appreciating that. If there's anything shallow about DOA, it's that feature that's a lot more obvious than the gameplay, and is only further degraded by things like DOAX.

As far as I'm concerned, they're not even competitors. I think what most gamers need to understand is that they're all idiots.

Lol, hi Ocean.

Yeah I've been here for a few months and was wondering when i would run into you.

Well, i appreciate the sentiment monkey, but i know you are a technical person. Could you outline the graphics department for me now? Thats probably the best description of the 2 games as a whole that i have seen.

Back