Everyone know DirectX 10 is Vista only?

Acert93 said:
Very interesting tidbit!

Will games be able to disable 4xAA? e.g. It seems UE3 does not play nicely with MSAA due to the deferred rendering technique they use. I guess though could force SSAA... it will be interesting to see how this falls out.

Don’t get me wrong. The application still can decide i fit want AA. The difference is that with D3D10 the chip can refuse a request for 4xAA but with 10.1 there will be no excuse. As you noticed SSAA the current planning for D3D10.1 requires support for this too. Additional it looks like that the application can switch between the different modes (No, MS, SS) every time.

Just spotted this thread in the main forum listing... why am I not surprised Demirug's already answered everything! ;)

Regarding the whole politics thing... whilst it might be hard... would you (or the wider technical audience) prefer it if Microsoft just allowed Direct3D to stagnate and not push forwards with graphics software/API? I'm pretty damned sure that they'd get a similar level of critiscm for that as they have for making D3D10 vista-only.

As Demirug said - they could, from a technical standpoint, roll out WDDM for XP - but its doesn't make any business sense. It'd divert internal resources (both for initial development/testing as well as long-term support) throw the ISV's (game developers) and IHV's (Nvidia's and ATI's) into chaos and generally upset a stable and mature platform. I, as well as most developers, know the WinXP/DX9 style of programming - both the good parts and the bad parts - and I know I wouldn't be happy if they suddenly went and dropped such a major system level change in.

The comment I've seen from largely uniformed people (Not specifically aimed at Nexus mind) is that it's some evil marketing tool used by Microsoft to force everyone onto Vista. That is the one bit I don't buy - yes, it plays into the marketing departments hands, but if you actually take the time to think about it theres so much more to it :smile:

the only one they bagged was Alan Wake, and of course Halo 2
Are either of those actually using Direct3D 10? My understanding is that Alan Wake has been in development for quite some time and Halo 2 obviously has to be a port rather than a complete re-write. That is, they'd both be D3D9(Ex) titles.

It's not being played up much (yet?), but MS are really pushing Vista as a gaming platform (see various VP statements about "Gaming being a primary citizen in Vista" etc...) - so them securing some launch-day Vista exclusives doesn't necessarily have anything to do with fancy new technology in Vista ;)

Anyway... I'll leave y'all to it.

Cheers,
Jack

Back