Everquest Next - Fully destructable everything in a persistent world

WoW's crafting system is utter shit, and in pandaria they managed to make it even worse by forcing you to grind monsters to loot those bloody harmony motes. It's such a shame, seeing as the game has CRAFTing right in the game title for chrissakes...

I don't know anything about this Vanguard game, but it sounds intriguing. Not that I'd ever leave WoW for something else, though. I'm far too invested by now, and there's a lot of aspects of the game which I still like.

Finally looted a weapon upgrade for my old hunter dorf, by the way. :)

The crafting system was almost like turn based combat in a way. The non-timed nature of it is what made it possible to be complicated without being overwhelming. You have actions that you can perform and reactions that can happen. So you have to balance out crafting progression versus durability loss versus a limit on how many actions you could take. Some actions can progress progress a little bit without affecting durability in a negative way, some can progress significant at a hit to durability. Some actions can boost durability. Then there's actions that can boost progress and durability to some extent. There's also critical action successes that boost the effect of an action you take.

Tools also have quality levels that magnify the effect of your actions. Which is needed for higher quality items. You also have consumables that can help with crafting. Materials used can help. What materials you use also determine the stats and quality of items. Critical success on the final integration can boost quality up one level (common -> uncommon, uncommon -> rare, etc.).

You could also harvest raid quality materials from raid bosses (obviously requires a guild capable of taking down raid bosses). That allows you to craft raid quality gear.

You can also break down gear for materials. Both base materials (leather, for example) and item crafting modifiers (stat modifer's for example). That's in addition to the normal harvesting. Rare items can yield rare materials.

And that's just a skeleton outline of the crafting system. It's the one and only game where I actually loved the crafting system. It was challenging without relying on timing due to the turn based nature of it.

And the fact that you can craft not just player items, but housing materials for building a house, shipwright materials for building a ship as well as mount items. Saddles, bridles, stirrups, etc. for equipping mounts to modify how mounts performed. As well as furnishings for houses.

Regards,
SB

I'm looking forward to that title, it has loads of interesting things, although I'm a bit scared of the destructible part, knowing players it'll go wrong very quickly...

Construction is only part of the main game through destruction, it remains to be seen how precisely you can destruct the environment and how long term the result is ... they might just randomize the destruction a bit after everyone has walked out of sight to prevent players creating features in the landscape.

I hear you get your own space in the world where you can build your own house etc. Sounds pretty amazing, and could be interesting if this becomes almost like a new Minecraft. Yay for voxels, anyway. ;)

Back