Ever felt embaressed because of your computer knowledge?

The wife of a very good friend of mine forgot her windows login password (for a local windows account). She brought me her laptop to see if I could fix it for her.
It took me 5 minutes...

I got terribly embarrassed when she wanted to pay me for it...
The IT guy at her office asked her a crazy amount of money, I can't remember how much, just that I thought, oh my god, that's a ripoff for five minutes of work.

The reason I felt embarrassed, was because I did something that anyone could do by spending a small amount of time on Google...
But because she knows nothing about computers, she felt she HAD to pay me...!
Of course I didn't take any money.

I find a lot of my favorite music on Spotify actually. Most, if not all of Jarre's old 70s and 80s albums are now available, which they weren't in the past. Curiously though, a bunch of his 00s productions are now UNavailable, which they weren't earlier... Very weird.

Kraftwerk's early stuff still MIA though, I don't really understand why. Oh, and the Beatles. It's that greedy old twat McCartney gumming up the works to have 40+ year old records released. Not that I'm a particularly big beatles fan though, so I'm like, whatever.

Fellow Jarre listener :smile:

I would really love to go to at least one of his live concerts, but I've missed 2010 tour due to work and now he is not planning any as far as I know :cry:.

I've never been embarrassed about my computer knowledge.

The one time I was embarrassed was when I accidentally screwed up somebody's computer while trying to fix it. There might have been a way to recover the information, but unfortunately their backup floppy disk was bad (as such disks did with shocking regularity).

Yeah, I've never felt embarrassed about my PC knowledge(Not that I have much... most of what I know is parts picking, actually building the wonderful things and where to find info).

I can't say I understand that notion at all.

wow great security

It was a local windows xp account, and I had physical access to the laptop...
All you need is a live CD (or usb stick) to boot...
You can't retrieve the password, (well you can but I'm not sure how long it can take), but you can reset it to whatever you like.

I've never been embarrassed about my computer knowledge.

The one time I was embarrassed was when I accidentally screwed up somebody's computer while trying to fix it. There might have been a way to recover the information, but unfortunately their backup floppy disk was bad (as such disks did with shocking regularity).

When it's your job to fix other peoples PCs, you get used to it! No embarrassment there at all!
Fortunately I only had to experience this very few times...
But it happens! :LOL:

Yes. I have. Virtually every time I've ever posted a technical question on this very forum only to have numerous individuals who are highly educated on the topic of almost everything computer related answer my question. I've also learned a lot here from the posts and users, so I frequently recommend it to friends whenever they're in the market for graphics cards and need advice.

I'm also surrounded by a lot of friends who have built their entire lives/careers around the topic of computers, whereas computers are a hobby of mine.

Well he was the kind of guy that could talk me into buying a bag full of expensive poo and writing my documents to it with finger instead of using pc and word if he wanted to convince me...

Pls provide me with his contact details, he sounds like he is born into being a banker :p

Back