EU cars price differentials

I have to confess I haven't really bothered to figure out how the taxing is supposed to work if I decided to buy a new car from another EU country. I suppose I'd get the car without originating country's taxes and I'd have to pay the local taxes when I import it?

There wouldn't be much point though, since the pre-tax prices here in Finland seem to be lowest. Only in a few cases, taking advantage of the poor danes could save a bit (assuming the taxes work out as I think).

WhiningKhan said:
There wouldn't be much point though, since the pre-tax prices here in Finland seem to be lowest. Only in a few cases, taking advantage of the poor danes could save a bit (assuming the taxes work out as I think).
Yes, the prices are lowest because of the tax. It's the same here in the Netherlands.

Before 2003 (IIRC), prices were pretty much equal throughout Europe, but the car manufacturers suffered from bad profit margins in the high-tax countries, and so they reduced the difference quite a bit.

WhiningKhan said:
I have to confess I haven't really bothered to figure out how the taxing is supposed to work if I decided to buy a new car from another EU country. I suppose I'd get the car without originating country's taxes and I'd have to pay the local taxes when I import it?
Exactly.

Back