Estimate a BOM delta for PS5 and XBSX

The EMI tab is slabbed against the entire aluminum plate which sucks air through through that main channel.

"""
PC NVMe SSDs often lose performance simply because they get too hot - and this required some innovative engineering for the new Xbox. "We have these competing set of springs that we call thermal bias springs," says Jim Wahl. "What that does is that it actually biases the card up against this top thick heatsink, so that the card is transferring heat through its connector into the chassis off to cooling air as it goes through the system... there's tons of engineering that just sort of sharpens the pencil and gets it right."
"""

This is the piece of metal it's pressed against
a8cd8c70-9145-4352-b6d3-4f0ec85ea256.jpg

The heatsink is connected to this unit.

The holes in the metal are for air pass through, the external SDD is placed onto that metal slab and that metal slab is fed air through the rear holes when the pulls air through the holes pictured above. Diagram shows the air entering from 2pm through the back holes
894f4b58-d3fe-4799-b119-ded7d87772d1.jpg

Nice, you can also easily see where the internal SSD is pressed against that block of aluminum. Those are some really good illustrations.

Regards,
SB

Well yes of course, but not that part! The two options I mention I personally consider trivial, it's the main SoC cooling I'm very curious about, because it's really difficult to save costs there. The rest of the parts to cool are just going through the motions of using the flow available here and there, it just falls into place when they chose a starting point...
we discussed earlier how cheap parts could break the whole system cause RROD. Not sure if we want to cheap out on anything related to the graphics stack otherwise there will be instability leading to crashing or the device needs to be sent for repair. It’s gotta work and work damn well.

I think it’s worth your attention. ;)

when we look at nvme drives warming up to north of 70+ And maybe higher just to play a standard video game meant for much slower hard drive speeds. And now we are going to dial the throughout up 50x to 100x more and now using the drives as part of the main graphics system pulling and redesigning how engines use expanded storage? yo... lol it’s going to be smoking like Schwartz

I'm a little taken aback by the thick cast aluminum frame. I don't know what it costs today but there will be a lot of machining involved. The PS3 is one of the rare consoles built on a cast and machined alu frame, and iSupply estimate that part quite high.

My previous BOM delta prediction was $45, I would change this to $75.

PS5: $433 (retail $449)
XBSX: $508 (retail $499)

I'm a little taken aback by the thick cast aluminum frame. I don't know what it costs today but there will be a lot of machining involved. The PS3 is one of the rare consoles built on a cast and machined alu frame, and iSupply estimate that part quite high.

I know. Lol. This was the whole thing that got me as well. Max theoretical throughput is double on PS5. I want to see what they did.
I don’t know if SSDs can safely operate at the same temperature as a GPU; where 85 is OK. One is a processor the other is storage, damage to the silicon leads to corruption of long term data. So I have often thought that the heat sink between the SOC and the SSD must be separate because they’ll need cooling at different temps.

Not all hard drives last 7 years, and we’ve never pushed nvme drives like we will next gen. It’s very interesting to me to see how both will cope with this addition to see how they got the most performance out of a device that should last one full generation at least before dying.

Nice, you can also easily see where the internal SSD is pressed against that block of aluminum. Those are some really good illustrations.

Regards,
SB
best shot I could get unfortunately. I think @eastmen actually posted a much better picture before it went down for some reason.

I know. Lol. This was the whole thing that got me as well. Max theoretical throughput is double on PS5. I want to see what they did.
I don’t know if SSDs can safely operate at the same temperature as a GPU; where 85 is OK. One is a processor the other is storage, damage to the silicon leads to corruption of long term data. So I have often thought that the heat sink between the SOC and the SSD must be separate because they’ll need cooling at different temps.

Not all hard drives last 7 years, and we’ve never pushed nvme drives like we will next gen. It’s very interesting to me to see how both will cope with this addition to see how they got the most performance out of a device that should last one full generation at least before dying.

I did read on somewhere that reading SSD outputs way less than writing, because they use more current/voltage to write than reading.

So maybe they dont heat up as much on consoles (vs PC) as they could be less writing on SSD

Depends on your SSD controller when it wants to throttle. Some do it earlier. Some do it later. 83 is pretty high. Curious to see how long your drive will last. Keep it cool!

And your drive isn’t used as part of the graphics system. Not in the way we are discussing it being an extension of virtual memory which is my main concern. The 180 snap around load everything into memory -all- the time. The constant last minute loading all sorts of huge textures in and out of memory. These are wicked concepts. I just want to see the strain on the system now (for both)

Sony did not guarantee anything in their announcements.
This could be considered as such, no?
o9ODlwC.jpg

I did read on somewhere that reading SSD outputs way less than writing, because they use more current/voltage to write than reading.

So maybe they dont heat up as much on consoles (vs PC) as they could be less writing on SSD
Yea. This is correct. It produces less heat on reading than writing. at least in general testing.
Will wait to see more on this front

This could be considered as such, no?
o9ODlwC.jpg
Hmm. I’m suspect you’re referring to (at least)

hmm. Yea I guess that might be able to pass for a guaranteed speed. Hmm okay thanks for spotting that. Hopefully there is more on this front. I don’t like the graph because seek times being instantaneous is a heavy exaggeration. You see either milliseconds, microseconds, or nanoseconds. Instant is faster than the above.

That graph also says PS5 SSD (Target). To its left says PS4 (actual). But for now I'll keep this in mind, good find. Seems to have slipped under the radar for me.

Last edited:
I assumed it was someone else's imprecise material because those numbers are only good for PR and marketing
Yea, I sort of dislike how Cerny's presentation is being described as 'for developers' when it seems very trivial to developers. I feel like it's actually targeted towards enthusiast gamer.

Nothing in there that came across as particularly for developers.

The slides as you say were full of imprecise numbers. His speech included words like blindingly fast (repeated over and over again). I felt it was a marketing presentation, but anyway, this is OT.

I'm actually a little sad it says PS4 (actual) and PS5 (target) now. It's like at that point in time PS5 has not come far enough to even provide us the finalized numbers.

best shot I could get unfortunately. I think @eastmen actually posted a much better picture before it went down for some reason.
I couldn't find that one here are some other good ones I've found

Microsoft's design is really elegant when your able to break down and see that everything has its place. The dual board design allows them to have multiple wind tunnels inside the casing to ensure everything has flowing air.

I couldn't find that one here are some other good ones I've found

Microsoft's design is really elegant when your able to break down and see that everything has its place. The dual board design allows them to have multiple wind tunnels inside the casing to ensure everything has flowing air.

Ooh, neat. Definitely Mac Pro esque but in a more compact package too, only 1 big fan should keep any audible noise at the very least at a fairly low frequency.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070927131539/http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919

It was not cheap, here the PS3 BOM

111606-1.gif

Back