Epic Sues Apple and Google due to Fortnite getting pulled [2020-08-13, 2021-05-03]

Where's the evidence of harm and the quantification of that harm?

Also, clearly Epic is guilty of breach of contract. So how would that be overturned?

Should be a separate suit contesting the legality of the contract?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/04/epic-games-drags-bandcamp-into-its-google-antitrust-case/

Bandcamp says it can’t afford Google Play billing, Epic files injunction
Epic bought Bandcamp last month. Now Bandcamp is a weapon against app store owners.

Epic and Google are gearing up for another legal battle. You might recall that Google has an in-app billing crackdown coming to the Play Store soon. The new rules require all apps selling digital goods to use Google Play Billing by March 31, so Google gets a cut of the sales. Any app in non-compliance has been unable to ship updates since March 31, but the real deadline is June 1, when these apps will be removed from the Play Store. Epic Games bought the popular independent music site Bandcamp in March, and it's already taking Google to court over its newest acquisition. Bandcamp isn't in compliance with the billing rules, so it's due for a ban in June. As part of its antitrust case against Google, Epic is filing a motion for a preliminary injunction to block Bandcamp's de-listing from the Play Store.

Apple pointed out a couple of weeks back that the Meta store fees can be over 50%.

Can you side load on Oculus devices or have alternate app stores?

As much as I agree that digital walled garden store cuts are ludicrous, Epic are just taking the piss at this point. Attacking everybody who has a different monetisation scheme that you do is just dickish.

Apple might be able to sustain over 50% market share in the US. Not just peak after the big holiday quarter but average at least 50% throughout the year.

But it will never do that in other countries except maybe a handful like UK or Japan.

Everywhere else, it's Android because of price.

I was reminded of this thread by recent news.

It's snowballing, the moment Microsoft gave up on mobile Apple lost its only real potential competitor (only a potential competitor, because of the Windows hardware model being retarded but that's for another thread). Google will be kept around on life support (with search contract and granting them the absolute low end of the market) to avoid anti-trust kicking in, much like Intel kept AMD on life support for a long time.

I was reminded of this thread by recent news.

It's snowballing, the moment Microsoft gave up on mobile Apple lost its only real potential competitor (only a potential competitor, because of the Windows hardware model being retarded but that's for another thread). Google will be kept around on life support (with search contract and granting them the absolute low end of the market) to avoid anti-trust kicking in, much like Intel kept AMD on life support for a long time.

Apple would need to capture another 20% of the Dutch smartphone market within 2 or so months in the Netherlands then. Android still leading the charge in The Netherlands smartphone vendor market. Dont see anything snowballing, according to the graph Apple had a 55% market share exactly a year ago there opposed to Samsungs 28% that same year (2021), if anything Apple is dwindling in the country per year basis. Not looking too good going forward with the 500 euro price increase this year for Apple.

The Apple tax continues. Now Apple wants a 30% cut of revenue from boosted social media posts / promoted tweets

Apple has update its App Store guidelines to require that social media post “boosts” be purchased as IAPs, entitling Apple to 30% of that advertising revenue. This is new as of iOS 16.1, which was released today

we need a huge competition in the app stores....

for example, google got drunk and rejected my app for.... uh...

1686970247613.png

imagine if for example, amazon app store is huge, and micrsoft store also become huge on android. i can simply switch to amazon, or to microsoft.

if enough people made moves like me, then google will automatically gets pressured to fix themselves.

Back