Enterbrain / Famitsu soft/hard sales for January 10th - 16t

Look, if you're trying to prove us that GT4 is selling disappointingly, we get the picture. 900K units in one month is anything but disappointing for a game that is very similar to its predecessor. Whatever pdf doc you come up with.

Most games don't even reach that number in their whole lifetime.

Sure, Halo2 or some other games sold more, but hey, 900k sure looks like a good number for the first month, in one single country. Europe is always the biggest market for racing games, we are crazy about driving games, for some reason...

lets forget not people the massive amount of GT4 playstation packs Sony will sell in the rest of the world. count a few millions alone for that

just received my Luminus whiiiiii

Um...Japan's gotten the most versions of GT4. I'm not suprised. If you adde in Prologue and other tweener versions, you might find that total coming a lot closer to 1.8M. That said, GT4 the official game will probably only just break 1M. Not bad by any means, but to people expecting it to outsell GT3...probably disappointing. PEACE.

Indeed. GT Prologue sold ~500k in 2003 in Japan, and I believe there was at least one strong update selling in 2004 as well, ne? The sales are a bit scattered, and since online support was carved out of this one, there's a good chance some people will simply be waiting for GT4 Online to show up (and/or for GT4 to lower in price, since they don't have to rush).

Errm, if DQ8 just sold 3.5M in Japan alone, and many other games go over the 3M sold units in Japan alone, i'm guessing it is safe to say GT4 will sell a lot more than it has so far.
Few titles pass the 1M mark. And DQ8 is far and away the best-selling PS2 title now. And if you consider that it actually costs ~20% more than any other title(except for the Banpresto super robot series)...

For reference, as an observation for Japan, if in the period ~1 month...

title moves < 500K - mediocre. Also indicative of a game that the Japanese gamer considers mediocre.

title moves > 500K - good

title moves > 700K - this is very good. It is also indicative of a title that Japanese gamers really like. It has a chance of passing 1M in its lifetime.

title moves > 1M - This is really the final mark. After that it's a matter of 'how much more than 1M'. Such titles usually have a place in the 'gaming culture/phenomenon' thing, and I suspect the whole 'cultural/phenonmenon/mindset' thingee actually plays even a larger role than the quality of the title(which is already excellent, of course) in pushing further from the 1M figure.

Well, there are a few PSP titles close to 200k units sold, with Mina No Golf performing even better than that. With a userbase of 500k units out there, it actually isn´t that bad. :)

Am I the only one that noticed PSP and DS actually selling on par?

No I'd think everyone noticed it, but most people probably realise that both numbers are severely limited by stock availability. Obviously DS can't keep outselling PSP 3:1 week after week without its stock dropping to PSP levels sometimes.

BTW... wasn't hovz banned? Why is he still here?

if I had the choice between PSP and DS software, I would take the PSP games. The DS software selection with the exception of one title has been horrible.

spider-man 2
Madden
The metroid demo
Super mario DS
Fell the Magic (the best game on the DS)

The rest of the launch games out before christmas were basically crap. Feel the magic is the only game tha tmakes good use out of the touch screen. I really hate using the touch screen as an analog stick, or a steering wheel.

Qroach said:
if I had the choice between PSP and DS software, I would take the PSP games. The DS software selection with the exception of one title has been horrible.

Up to now, looking at the US launch list, I agree. But things will change soon.

The japanese first two months are heaven when you compare, with 2 games at 36/40 in Famitsu + some interesting niche games like Band brothers et al.

wazoo said:
passerby said:
title moves < 500K - mediocre. Also indicative of a game that the Japanese gamer considers mediocre.

Ico is mediocre. It only sold 18k in its first month.

Commercially, Ico was a total failure. But sometimes ther are games that sell very little, but are critically acclaimed. Very few.
Passerby's generalisation is a bit odd.

Quincy

Try Asphalt Urban GT. A lot of reviews of that game haven't done it justice AFAICS. Its the second DS game I bought and its quite a fun arcade racer IMO.

I think Mario 64 DS makes very good use of the touch screen in its mini games. At least as good as Feel the Magic.

BTW which PSP games have you played?

Back