Encyclopedia Brown & The Mysterious Case of the PS4 and the Missing Anisotropic Filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.
An overview based on that list and DF observations:

Dying Light is running at a higher resolution (1080p vs 1540v1080) with better texture streaming and frame-rate (I've also heard it becomes a slide-show at stages on XBO) and more tearing, with XBO it looks like they dropped the resolution to hit a reasonable framerate.
So why wasn't AF dropped from XBO to boost performance would be a question worth asking IMHO.

With Saints Row both versions are 1080p PS4 version performs notably better.
So why wasn't AF added to PS4 version - would it have been worse than the XBO version - so much so that it's be unplayable - it doesn't sound like it.

With Thief PS4 is running at a higher resolution (1080p v 900p) PS4 also has AO, XBO has a worse performance.
So why not drop AF on XBO it was also noted performance wasn't great on PS4, so why add AO?

Murdered Soul Suspect is an interesting one. Both at 1080p it seems the PS4 version had plenty of headroom running at an unlocked 60fps with no AF, they had AF and locked the game to 30FPs on XBO.
It seems odd that as PS4 suffered due to the unlocked nature of the game that they didn't opt to lock it at 30fps like the XBO and add AF - parity and all that!?

Strider - 1080p, 60fps locked on both - no AF on PS4 but why, there seems little reason to think this has been done for performance issues.

Last edited:
An overview based on that list and DF observations:

Dying Light is running at a higher resolution (1080p vs 1540v1080) with better texture streaming and frame-rate (I've also heard it becomes a slide-show at stages on XBO) and more tearing, with XBO it looks like they dropped the resolution to hit a reasonable framerate.
So why wasn't AF dropped from XBO to boost performance would be a question worth asking IMHO.

With Saints Row both versions are 1080p PS4 version performs notably better.
So why wasn't AF added to PS4 version - would it have been worse than the XBO version - so much so that it's be unplayable - it doesn't sound like it.

With Thief PS4 is running at a higher resolution (1080p v 900p) PS4 also has AO, XBO has a worse performance.
So why not drop AF on XBO it was also noted performance wasn't great on PS4, so why add AO?

Murdered Soul Suspect is an interesting one. Both at 1080p it seems the PS4 version had plenty of headroom running at an unlocked 60fps with no AF, they had AF and locked the game to 30FPs on XBO.
It seems odd that as PS4 suffered due to the unlocked nature of the game that they didn't opt to lock it at 30fps like the XBO and add AF - parity and all that!?

Strider - 1080p, 60fps locked on both - no AF on PS4 but why, there seems little reason to think this has been done for performance issues.

Things get more even interesting if you compare PS4 and PS3 versions only (as we should really because otherwise things get heated and too passionate). We need to compare PS3 and PS4 versions of more games BTW like with Thief.

Strider - We know it's basically locked on PS4 but PS3 version has trouble running the game, with lots of screen tearing...but much better AF
The unfinished Swan - This game, due to its simple black and white artstyle, has a very low number of textures displayed on each level, the PS4 game is basically the PS3 game at 1080p except with a lower level of AF.

In those 2 games the performance hit make absolutely no sense as those 2 particular games have a very limited number of oblique textures and remember that AF is normally only applied by textures artists only on oblique textures.

Even DF in their Strider article, after comparing PS3 and PS4 versions, thought the poor texture filtering on PS4 was probably due to a bug. As far I know there is only one single oblique texture in Strider, the ground! There are no others oblique textures in need of AF in this game (maybe a few but they must be really rare).

But they had to reduce AF on this 2.5D game, on one very simple texture, when they didn't need it on PS3 even with a badly performing game?

I don't disagree, in fact I usde unfinished swan earlier to underline that it can't be a performance issue (stating futher than 'how can uncharted do the highest setting so well' in the same post) .

I think the point at the moment is to compare 2 similar hardware setups (XBO & PS4) in the hope of finding a clue as to why AF has been removed from one over the other. So far there's little evidence (even with that limitation in place) that AF has been removed to help performance.

I believe AO is far more compute intensive and less bandwidth intensive. Especially the better AO alogorithms And PS4 has compute to spare.
Regards,
SB

Sure, AO is more compute intensive. And not discussing which one is more bandwidth intensive.
Question is, there are also several anisotropy levels, and 8x uses half the bandwidth of 16x. And we are not seeing 4x, 8x or 12x as replacements... We are seeing no filtering at all, or just trilinear. Even in places were Bandwidth should not be a problem.

That is why the doubt exists!

The order 1886 is another story entirely. From what I have understood they don't like the fact that it's too sharp (as in too much clarity) which creates too much specular aliasing and other temporal artifacts.

Which is totally logical considering the ultra soft / clean look they wanted to give their game particularly on motion.

Now Resident Evil Revelations two has 16x AF on both, but performance is considerably worse on PS4 ...

If this hasn't been mentioned yet but UC4 demo has pretty good AF I thought. Looks like at least 8x from the compressed video capture. ND are beyond god tier after all?
LVAioAg.jpg

If this hasn't been mentioned yet but UC4 demo has pretty good AF I thought. Looks like at least 8x from the compressed video capture. ND are beyond god tier after all?

It is really hard to tell AF without the right type of picture. It really depends on plane you're looking at. In this case, AF could be anywhere between 4x-16x because we can't see further out.

edit: one more thing that makes it hard to determine AF, and I ran into this issue trying to help Global figure out AF for thief, once tesselation is involved, it becomes extremely hard to tell.

Last edited:
Killzone Shadow Fall has 8xAF I think not for all texture but for the texture needing the most good filtering like the ground.

It is really hard to tell AF without the right type of picture. It really depends on plane you're looking at. In this case, AF could be anywhere between 4x-16x because we can't see further out.

edit: one more thing that makes it hard to determine AF, and I ran into this issue trying to help Global figure out AF for thief, once tesselation is involved, it becomes extremely hard to tell.
It would be a bit hard to get that long distance plane shot in this demo since the foliage is just too dense which covers most of the flat ground. But I'm pretty happy seeing the result here already, so my gut feeling tells me it could be software issue.

looks good to me. It would be better if we didn't have compressed shots, but no AF is easy to spot, and I don't see that occurring here in those UC pictures.

At first I thought it was a performance issue. Something to do with the PS4's underclocked CPU perhaps? But then I saw it in relatively un demanding games and it lead me to believe it's a middleware issue. That's the only thing I can think of (that is if it's not a hardware issue). MS kinda has a monopoly with D3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back