Encyclopedia Brown & The Mysterious Case of the PS4 and the Missing Anisotropic Filtering

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Rangers, Feb 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk
    Legend Regular Subscriber

That dialogue works both ways. You don't know that they weren't already working on that specific patch prior to launch and it just didn't make it in time for day 1.
    Anyway, if you guys want to believe that there is a SDK problem or that developers are incompetent at changing the value of AF for textures and are waiting for proof of it, you guys are welcome to sit here and wait. I don't think you'll ever get an answer.
    I'm moving on from this topic.

2. goonergaz

Veteran

TBH it's more believable than suggesting PS4 has issues supporting AF when you look at all the evidence at hand

3. Karamazov

Veteran Regular

are there games with same performance and resolution on both consoles which miss AF on ps4 and not on Xbox one ?

4. goonergaz

Veteran

I think Strider was one?

edit - here's something I posted earlier in the thread:

Dying Light is running at a higher resolution (1080p vs 1540v1080) with better texture streaming and frame-rate (I've also heard it becomes a slide-show at stages on XBO) and more tearing, with XBO it looks like they dropped the resolution to hit a reasonable framerate.
    So why wasn't AF dropped from XBO to boost performance would be a question worth asking IMHO.

With Saints Row both versions are 1080p PS4 version performs notably better.
    So why wasn't AF added to PS4 version - would it have been worse than the XBO version - so much so that it's be unplayable - it doesn't sound like it.

With Thief PS4 is running at a higher resolution (1080p v 900p) PS4 also has AO, XBO has a worse performance.
    So why not drop AF on XBO it was also noted performance wasn't great on PS4, so why add AO?

Murdered Soul Suspect is an interesting one. Both at 1080p it seems the PS4 version had plenty of headroom running at an unlocked 60fps with no AF, they had AF and locked the game to 30FPs on XBO.
    It seems odd that as PS4 suffered due to the unlocked nature of the game that they didn't opt to lock it at 30fps like the XBO and add AF - parity and all that!?

Strider - 1080p, 60fps locked on both - no AF on PS4 but why, there seems little reason to think this has been done for performance issues.

5. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Sniper Elite 3 has much better AF and better framerate on...PS4. :runaway:

[​IMG]

And on this one the devs even quickly acknowledged / confirmed to DF that the XB1 had reduced AF compared to PS4! How insolent of them to openly communicate about any AF issue... how dare they? :lol2:

6. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

This also confirms that you can expect a performance impact from adding AF. I have the game on the Xbox One, and I like the gameplay and stuff, but it is technically horrible on the X1, and I didn't even begin to look for flaws, I thought it didn't run at 60 fps and looked a bit muddy to me in the distance. Now I know why

7. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

Surely they just mislabeled the screens :yep2:

BRiT likes this.
  8. DrJay24

Veteran

Lol, how does that confirm anything?

djskribbles likes this.
  9. goonergaz

Veteran

I guess the implication is AF was reduced to get the game running better therefore it does impact performance?

I don't think anyone has ever said it's free, the question in this thread was about if the PS4 had an issue with AF and here we have more evidence that it doesn't!

iroboto likes this.
  10. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

Yeah but it's understandable that they tried to improve the performance as much as possible (as little of a performance hit as it may have been) because it looks like they went for resolution parity, and the XB1 suffered for it with considerably worse performance and constant tearing. In the PS4's examples, the PS4 versions usually run slightly better, have a higher resolution and sometimes better effects.
    8xAF was added to Dying Light with no measurable performance hit, and they even improved the LOD according to NX gamer.

I agree with DrJay24, I don't think that really proves anything. As you said goonergaz, no one said AF was free. I just don't think it's the reason why the odd PS4 game has no AF when factoring in all of the evidence.

#350 djskribbles, Mar 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  11. DrJay24

Veteran

That is poor logic.

Reduced AF and frame rate on one system compared to a completely different system does not confirm anything except different hardware and software will perform differently. If anything it is antithetical to his idea, the one with higher AF performs better than the one with lower!

12. goonergaz

Veteran

yeah, I wasn't saying it was my logic ;)

13. DrJay24

Veteran

Ah, sorry then ;)

14. DrJay24

Veteran

From the Bordelands DF faceoff. PS4 version has better framerate also.

15. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

This is the break you guys were looking for. I applaud you guys for hanging on. I'm still waiting to see this note/source, but as it stands it's enough evidence for me to begin to leave my position that it's just bad optimization - there appears to be a quirk(s) with the SDK.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=158257621&postcount=1662

#355 iroboto, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    TheAlSpark likes this.
  16. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

It was hinted in a newer post that devs are being reminded of the proper way to use AF functions, and a possible future update to make things easier properly use it.

iroboto likes this.
  17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Good news but it's a pity about past titles though. Would be up to the developer/publisher to decide if they can be bothered going back and patching it in.

18. iroboto

iroboto Daft Funk

Yea I wonder if this is a symptom of everyone being used to doing it the DirectX/OpenGL way, and then finding out too last minute that's not how it's supposed to be done using GNM.

19. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

SONY note to developers:

Hey guys! So you know that button you need to tick to enable AF? Yeah so, it doesn't really work. So please use our secret code to really enable AF in the game at no performance cost:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks and good luck!
    Sony

#359 London Geezer, Mar 31, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  20. DSoup

DSoup Series Soup
    Legend Veteran

So bogus. There are no A or B buttons on the DualShock controller.

djskribbles and iroboto like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.