Email programs in Linux?

Son Goku

Newcomer
Is there an email program in Linux in which one can

- Import a message store from Outlook Express 6.0 (from winXP SP1)
- Save messages accross installs, so that reinstalling the OS one doesn't lose their previous emails, but the program continues to access the message store (once pointed to it) as if a reinstall never occured and it was back on the old instillation.

Netscape mail would be one thing that could run under Linux, however unlike Netscape 4.76, Netscape 6.0 did not allow one to save emails accross installs. I tried it when I upgraded from Netscape 4.76 to Netscape 6.0, and it's failure to do this, is why I then took the Netscape 4.76 message store (which I didn't delete when it was imported into Netscape 6.0), imported it into OE back in win2k, and then retrieved the messages I had since downloaded (which was then in the saved messages folder on the IMAP server since the time I upgraded from Netscape 4.76).

Now that Netscape 6.0 (not sure about 7.0) seems to have lost this feature that was present in 4.x, any email program in Linux that can do this. Being able to access more then one email account in the same profile is sorta needed also.

mutt might be the program you are looking for, bitch to configure, shell based but very very good.

I don't know whether it will do all the things you want but I've been using "kmail" (presumably part of KDE).

It certainly has maintained the store of messages across an upgrade of versions.

Back