Eight versions of Vista?

The beta pages of Windows Vista help list this as the final editions where 'N' are the versions without WMP.

Windows Starter 2007
Windows Vista Home Basic
Windows Vista Home Basic N
Windows Vista Home Premium
Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Business N
Windows Vista Ultimate
Windows Vista Enterprise

Can't say I like it. Just another way for MS to charge more for complete versions of their os while removing features unnecessarily for the cheaper stuff.

According to that link Zaphod posted then Windows Vista Ultimate is aimed at gamers as it "adds Game Performance Tweaker with integrated gaming experiences". However, the link also states it's a "superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Business, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions".

So, if I understand correctly, the version aimed at gamers will be the most expensive version and will also contain lots of functions aimed at business users too! Does this sound like a stupid mess? No doubt loads of useless services and processes will run by default. Why not a proper stripped down version, without all the bloat, aimed at gamers?

Oh, yay - slashdot paranoia :rolleyes: Sounds really different to what we already have.

1. Windows XP Home

2. Windows XP Pro

3. Windows XP: Tablet PC

4. Windows XP: HTPC ("Media Centre" edition)

5. Windows XP: Embedded

6. Windows XP: x64

7. Windows XP N

8. Windows XP: Chinese edition (3 total processes)

As has been stated the "2007 Premium" is for the countries that love to pirate stuff (probably not on sale anywhere else), the 'N' variants are to keep the EU happy (thus only on sale over here). That cuts you down to 5 versions already if you live in the USA. I'd also imagine that "Business" and "Enterprise" won't be on your regular store shelves (at least not in the consumer section) nor will it be bundled with your new PC-World computer. That knocks another 2 out - giving you 3 main flavours that home users are likely to see...

Can't say that sounds like the end of the world to me.

Jack

Diplo said:
According to that link Zaphod posted then Windows Vista Ultimate is aimed at gamers as it "adds Game Performance Tweaker with integrated gaming experiences". However, the link also states it's a "superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Business, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions".

If it's aimed at gamers I'm surprised it's not called Windows Vista X-Fatal1ty.

JHoxley said:
Oh, yay - slashdot paranoia :rolleyes: Sounds really different to what we already have.

Jack

There are six main versions of Vista: Starter, Home, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate and Enterprize. With XP there are three and MCE is just pro with the much more capable media player. Tablet PC and Embedded don't count because they are for specific applications and hardware, x64 is a minor and buggy update to support the x86-64 instruction set, nothing more. The severely cut down versions aren't even available in most areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
ANova said:
There are six main versions of Vista: Starter, Home, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate and Enterprize. With XP there are three and MCE is just pro with the much more capable media player. Tablet PC and Embedded don't count because they are for specific applications and hardware, x64 is a minor and buggy update to support the x86-64 instruction set, nothing more. The severely cut down versions aren't even available in most areas.
Okay, I suppose that's fair enough really.

I'd still personally choose to wait until the final line up was announced* - Maybe there will be more versions than XP, but I'd imagine that the majority of end users will never need to know about more than 2 (possibly 3) of them :smile:

*Not this semi-final line up that's now been pulled, I mean final as in final-we-can-buy-it-now :smile:

Cheers,
Jack

JHoxley said:

1. Windows XP Home

2. Windows XP Pro

3. Windows XP: Tablet PC

4. Windows XP: HTPC ("Media Centre" edition)

5. Windows XP: Embedded

6. Windows XP: x64

7. Windows XP N

8. Windows XP: Chinese edition (3 total processes)

As has been stated the "2007 Premium" is for the countries that love to pirate stuff (probably not on sale anywhere else), the 'N' variants are to keep the EU happy (thus only on sale over here). That cuts you down to 5 versions already if you live in the USA. I'd also imagine that "Business" and "Enterprise" won't be on your regular store shelves (at least not in the consumer section) nor will it be bundled with your new PC-World computer. That knocks another 2 out - giving you 3 main flavours that home users are likely to see...

Jack
No idea if the x64 will also work in 32 bits? Thanks.

Rur0ni said:
Anyone play with the Feb CTP yet? Hear its the staged install as well.
I've been spending all day trying to get 5308 installed :LOL:

The December staged build exploded on my machine the same as February's. Fun.

Jack

I played with it a little. I actually kind of like it and it's fast though it has alot of bugs and other annoyances.

Edit: Some of you might get a kick out of this.

Btw, a system with a P4 3.0 GHz (overclocked to 3.4), 1 GB of ram and an X850 XT scores a 4.0 in the performance analyzer, whatever that means.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back