Effect of multiplatform titles

ERP

Veteran
OK so hypothetically speaking.
I'm a multiplatform publisher, I'm behind on development, I decide that I'm going to re-allocate resources to the machine with 5+million installed and a better (and more stable) development environment to get the game out on time and let the other platform slip out a month or a quarter.

Again this isn't something I see/have seen happen, it's just something I was thinking about, how big a impact would it have?

It's doubtful that even if this type of resource shifting happened it would last beyond an initial period, but I wonder how much long term effect it would have in terms of perception of the platform.

Hmmm, imo I think it depends on the number of titles this happens with. Or how high-profile the title in question would be...

Maybe looking to the Saturn / Playstation era could give us an idea?

I get the impression these things can start to add up given enough titles, expecially if the later versions turn out to be not quite as polished...

I'd say it depends entirely on the game and how often it happens.

If it's a chug 'n churn multiplatform series like the new wrestling game (which this is seemingly happening to), then I wouldn't imagine it'd have much effect.

To be honest, I can't say I care much about multiplatform games in general though -- a vast majority of them (disproportionally compared to exclusives) are garbage.

Or how much it is directed to a particular platform, ie if the code is already made for (eg) 5 SPUs (or use things here the HW is particulary good) and DS3 motion sensors it should give some good work to make the shift, I think.

Regardless of how many SPU's or CPU's, it still comes down to the ability to write/run multi threaded code in a stable manner. Stuff like the motion sensing tech in the controllers isn't really a big problem.

People are speculating that COD3 might slip PS3 lauch. I don´t get why Activision would let that happen. COD3 could sell even better on the PS3 than X360. X360 has much more games to choose from.

I´m sure Insomniac wouldn´t mind.

ZiFF said:
People are speculating that Cod3 might slip PS3 lauch. I dont get why Activision would let that happen. It could sell even better on the PS3 than X360. X360 has much more games to choose from.

I´m sure Insomniac wouldn´t mind.

I'm sure they wouldn't, but unfortunately for Ted Price & Co. that speculation stemmed from what seems to have been just a website error. It's fixed now.

i guess it depends on how much anticipation there has been created for this title on each of the targeted platforms, i.e. how high is the profile of the title. and evenutally how deep into the affected console's lifecycle that is happening.

i personally don't think a quarter of a year slip/advantage of one platform over the other, given it was initially a know fact the title would be multi-platform, would produce that serious impact. IMO, of course.

now, it could be a little bit different if the title was originally meant to be an exclusive and then ended up multiplatform, and *then* first on the non-original platform ; )
i think last genertation we almost had the chance to see such a scenario with certain capcom's GC exclusives, alas the little cube being a not-so-dreaded dev platform, i don't know if any of those exclusive had even a theoretical chance to appear first on the 'second platform of choice'.. but one should never underestimate bad management ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
Qroach said:
Regardless of how many SPU's or CPU's, it still comes down to the ability to write/run multi threaded code in a stable manner. Stuff like the motion sensing tech in the controllers isn't really a big problem.

If you prefer say a very intensive use of memoexport/unified shader or a very intensive use of the HDD/BR or any exclussive feature of one of the consoles it would mean rewrinting the code. Plus if you add features with the motions of DS3 on the top of all used buttoms i should be a nightmare to remap the controls, if any of those have a bigger fx in gameplay it may meaning redesign part of the game, that should be a big problem (althought just in more "extreme" cases).

In the hypothetical example, I would say it depends on which game it is more than any other factor. If it's just one of many mediocre multiplatform games that don't make a profit on any system then it wouldn't matter if it was 1 game, or 100 games.

But if it was a high profile game like GTA4, Splinter Cell, or Madden then the effect could be huge. Especially if it happened more than once.

ERP said:
OK so hypothetically speaking.
I'm a multiplatform publisher, I'm behind on development, I decide that I'm going to re-allocate resources to the machine with 5+million installed and a better (and more stable) development environment to get the game out on time and let the other platform slip out a month or a quarter.

Again this isn't something I see/have seen happen, it's just something I was thinking about, how big a impact would it have?

It's doubtful that even if this type of resource shifting happened it would last beyond an initial period, but I wonder how much long term effect it would have in terms of perception of the platform.
Speaking as a consumer, my perception of the platform is based solely on the quality of the games. I'm not usually too concerned with release dates.

However, if you mean "How would it look to consumers if one platform's version of Madden 200X was consistenly released 3-4 months after the other platform's version?", then, yes, that could foster a negative perception of the platform whose games are continually late IF there were no visual and feature differences between the games.

pc999 said:
If you prefer say a very intensive use of memoexport/unified shader or a very intensive use of the HDD/BR or any exclussive feature of one of the consoles it would mean rewrinting the code.

There's always going to be things written differently for each consle. There's no way around that. I think teh issue is more as a "whole" then a little problem here and there. It can be done/fixed, but can it be done/fixed within the required timeframe?

Plus if you add features with the motions of DS3 on the top of all used buttoms i should be a nightmare to remap the controls, if any of those have a bigger fx in gameplay it may meaning redesign part of the game, that should be a big problem (althought just in more "extreme" cases).

I don't think gameplay related problems is the question ERP is asking. Correct me if I'm wrong he's talking about development for a game in it's entirety.

Qroach said:
There's always going to be things written differently for each console. There's no way around that. I think the issue is more as a "whole" then a little problem here and there. It can be done/fixed, but can it be done/fixed within the required timeframe?

I don't think gameplay related problems is the question ERP is asking. Correct me if I'm wrong he's talking about development for a game in it's entirety.

I doubt you will have one major problem but various in different things, just trying to list a few more that I think it could be some of the major ones (you can also have contractual ones, marketing ones...).

In the consumer POV if it gets delayed without any benefit to that platform version it will indeed make me think why this happened depending on the reason (I probably would investigate) I would make my opinion, but probably most casual gamers would just think it is because the console/version is worst than the other one.

I wasn't really thinking about specific technical issues, more in terms of a product is running late, and either you delay both platforms or you prioritise one.

I'm wondering if a large enough section of A/B+ titles shipping first on one platform, could create the impression that the platform was the one to own.

There is a lot of talk of exclusive titles, but they really are a very small percentage of the overall library.

ERP said:
I'm wondering if a large enough section of A/B+ titles shipping first on one platform, could create the impression that the platform was the one to own.

Is there really any doubt? I mean, GTA on the PS2 pretty much answered that question.

It it happened a lot it could be an issue. If it was a transitionary issue isolated to relatively few titles, I don't think it would have much effect at all.

People talk about exclusives because they tend to be higher profile.

Great question ERP--I hope you are not running into those unfriendly questions :oops:

I think it can have an impact if either of the two situations arise:

A) Big Game Delays. Madden is a classic example, GTA is another. I think this is only relevant to genres where there is limited selection and the game is a 'killer app'. I don't think Madden will be relevant this year, but if Madden shipped 1-3 months late every year it could be a huge swing in the industry. Likewise, if "THE" 3rd party killer app this gen (this gens GTA) does this it could make a swing, especially with the sequals. I am not sure there is a killer app from a 3rd party yet that is multiplatform, so far all the big games are washes as they are where you would expect them to be.

B) The industry slide. When a specific platform starts seeing a lot of software much later. The GCN was a victim of this at times, and the SS is a great example. When there is a limited core difference in number/quality of exclusives, the quality and availability of the 3rd party software becomes an issue. If I want Mortal Kombat on day 1 where do I need to go?

Interestingly not a lot of 3rd parties have shown software that puts consumers in this situation... yet. Thus far most of the high quality software has been exclusive and ended up where people expected them to. At some point a 3rd party is going to make a killer app that people are going to want as much as Halo, MGS, and GTA. When that happens it will be interesting to see how consumers react.

Right now, though, I think such slides are not very relevant. The PS3 will be limited in supply and expensive and MS has the new challenge to convince non-Xbox fans to jump aboard which will require continued growth in compelling software. Come 2007 if one platform is constantly the target of delays I think we could see some consumer skepticism as product delays, especially if they miss key sales periods, doesn't excite consumers.

Back