Educate me about the perils of Proposition 187

Do you think illegal immigrants should receive social services, health care, and education?

• Total voters
zidane1strife said:
Why is increasing our society such a bad thing now?

:rolleyes: Now now, we should cut the current pop. to a fraction of what it currently is... we don't want to destroy this world...

I read in my local newspaper .7M females get sterilized annually in the US according to the NIH... I don't know if that is true, but if it is, I'm glad some people are preparing themselves for the future.

I'm sure its true, but its not what you think it is.

These are people after having their 2.5 children, get their tubes tied to avoid having another one.

pax said:
Hhe its just that demo usually rises to the occasion to defend immigration. Canada would do well to take them. And I think we can do that without being so paranoid about terrorists immigrating here... Are we gonna live in fear all our lives and batter down the gates of our guilded cage?

Honestly, I can't see how you would do well to take uneducated illegal labor.

Studies have shows immigrant groups tend to have lower levels of welfare use. If they were made legal they would pay tax more so than they do now thru sales...

Perhaps legal immigrants have lower uses of welfare. Legal immigrants are contributing to the system where illegals are not.

Why is increasing our society such a bad thing now? I think immigration along with healthy investement on the international scene for infrastructure will do us all a lot of good in the long run...

This question is not properly phrased. It isn't wrong to increase societies through legal immigration. It is not beneficial through illegal immigration. As you can see illegal immigrants are not a good finacial investment.

Illegal immigration does nothing more than allow people we would otherwise reject for valid reasons into our countries. It also serves as a slap in the face all the people who worked to come here.

This singular argument is often false but repeated ad nauseum by neo cons.

Lol, often false? Sounds to me you don't even have the confidence to fully deny it. Liberals often deny this ad nauseum without anything of substance to deny it. Though clearly higher illegal immigrants doesn't help the natives at all.

Proven false by moving factories to China and Mexico without any serious price adjustments from the ultra cheap manufacturing there.

Infact it is proven right by moving factories to China and Mexico. Get your facts straight. They moved their factories there for cheap labor to escape having to raise their prices to more uncompetitive levels or taking a finacial hit. Why else move if it was not infact a cheaper investment?

This is the kind of reasoning liberals typically apply to their support of minimum wage. They site company x's prices not increasing or increasing that much in comparison to the rest of the companies in competition. They seem to believe this to be evidence of minimum wages' success only at face value. What they do not seem to understand is company X has already been paying its workers higher then minimum wage. Making the introduction of minimum wage superfluous. In other words minimum wage is generally useless. This is of course assuming your aren't teenage labor :LOL:. The economy alone is a much better tool for setting the value of pay then any government could ever possibly be.

Most of the time its false due to the low cost of production on average in terms of wages in the price of products.

Do you not see that higher foreign labor restricts the finacial earnings of native labor?

Seriously take the actual costs of production of all goods and services whether made here or abroad and you'll see very little correlation between production costs and retail pricing. The range of profitability can run from slim to massive. Market is relatively free to dictate the price except where monopolies exist.

Of course Id like to see the illegal immigration fixed by being made legal. Making it easier to come here takes away the incentive to use illegal means. This would free up enormous resources for the fight on terrorism now used to trace down simple laborers who dont qualify legally under our huge paper barrier.

You have to realize western society is extremely wealthy and would have a much easier time to integrate new immigrants than we did in the past when millions immigrated every year.

Anyone who works contributes to the system. Tho legal immigrants who pay income taxes probly do a bit more. Its a lot harder to come here illegally than legally. People use the illegal route when denied the legal one...

You argument for competitiveness isnt always true. Market isnt as simple as lowest price get the sale. You have branding and distribution and technology I mean whether it costs 2$ to make a pair of shoes or 8$ does it matter when they sell for 150$? Moving to China is as much as profit margin improvement if not more so than being competitive. Nike sells its shoes not because they are slighlty cheaper than reebok. Its utterly irrelevant in that market. They sell because of mind share plain and simple.

Minimum wage reform isnt about putting small biz out of biz. Its about putting food on the table thru wages and not gov subsidies. If a worker is needed he can be paid the extremely modest wage of 12$ an hour. Im very familiar with small biz in my town thru the local COC and the fact I also had a small biz in the past. I never knew any small biz so poor it couldnt afford such wages. OPf course most dont make minimum wages and thru tips and othre income actualy make the living wage. minimum wge reforfm would ony affect a very small percentage of adults who actually make that little largely due to abusive employers...

Truth be told Id have a hard finding many in my town making under 10$ an hour. But there are some in some employers who gouge every red cent they can and the law would apply to them. Its a mrginal issue but probably affects the population in the single digits % range. minimum wage laws are extremely modest to begin with. To argue against such a small intervention is pretty nuts. But the arguementation is based on the ideology that the market is free and not manipulated. Which it largely is.

No I dont see foreign labor here lowering wages. I see foreign labor overseas lowering wages thru unemployment.

Moving to Mexico had little effect on mindshare for the cies who moved there. Its just gouging of an opportunity to make more $ than usual. People dont buy into Kia made in SK because its 1000$ cheaper than the well known japanese brand made locally. Its mindshare. Kia is addressing a lower market share not addressed by the jap brands but largely not competiting with the jap brand. And they cant really as jap quality and rep is way better...

However not all cies move as quality from such low labor is an issue so Im not that worried about foreign labor as much as Im worried about technology displacing workers. Whoever intended to move has already and that process is largely done. I expect Mexico will have a bigger issue with that with their cies moving to china from there and not cies from here. Except maybe in the high tech sector. Manufacturing has bled out of NA just about all it can bleed.

pax,

Just a few things stand out in your last post. $12 an hour is quite a bit don't you think? Maybe it is the different cities I have grown up in, but that is a good bit for McDonald's work and those that work in retail. $5.45 an hour is our min wage I think, and it is a great living wage. Well, it is to the high school student living at home. If you want more than that, then go and get yourself some job skills. If you want to raise a family, then do what you need to do to become marketable so you can make more money or work multiple jobs.

1]At one time I was happy making less than min wage.
2]After a while, I was unhappy so I get a job paying min wage.
3]After a while, I was unhappy so I got 2 min wage jobs.
4]After a while, I was unhappy so I got 3 min wage jobs.
5]After a while, I was unhappy so I started my own business.
6]After a while, I was unhappy so I got a job that required a certain skill set.
7]After a while, I was unhappy so I got a management job.
8]After a while, I was unhappy so I got a technical job.

At no point in my life did I ever think it was someone else's responsibility to make sure I made more money. Once I got to a dead end, like working 3 min wage jobs (GAH), I used my head and looked for newer opportunities. Just making it so that everyone just skips to #7 wages is beyond me.

Dr. Ffreeze

pax said:
Seriously take the actual costs of production of all goods and services whether made here or abroad and you'll see very little correlation between production costs and retail pricing. The range of profitability can run from slim to massive. Market is relatively free to dictate the price except where monopolies exist.

The evidence is there and it states that the economy itself does the best job at setting the value of wages. Minimum wage does nothing to benefit more than 75% of workers hense the reason why minimum wage doesn't really affect production costs. The price of labor is already higher. What you are suggesting is raising the minimum to an even higher level. If workers are already being payed more on average then what you suggested your minium wage proposition will won't do anything to help anyone.

I think by simply applying logic Pax you can come to the conclusion there is a difference in production value. If not why on earth move your company to another country? The companies move so they can pull in higher profits. They have every right to do this. The mere fact they aren't highering native workers is counter beneficial to the cause of native labor. Foreign labor isn't contributing back to our economy in the same level native labor does. Why they higher foreign labor? Lowering of production cost.

What you call positive evidence of your position isn't evidence for it at all. Companies will move factories elsewhere to compensate for higher wages they have to pay elsewhere for menial labor. This is one of the many reasons why we the consumer do not see dramatically rising prices. As for minimum wage its clear its valueless.

Of course Id like to see the illegal immigration fixed by being made legal. Making it easier to come here takes away the incentive to use illegal means. This would free up enormous resources for the fight on terrorism now used to trace down simple laborers who dont qualify legally under our huge paper barrier.

You have to realize western society is extremely wealthy and would have a much easier time to integrate new immigrants than we did in the past when millions immigrated every year.

:rolleyes: We have every right to restrict immigration if we so please. I agree with restricting the number of poorly educated immigrants into this country. Merely allowing whomever wants to cross your borders is absolutely ludicrous iin practive and in concept.

Anyone who works contributes to the system.

Not at the same levels Pax. Can you not see this? illegals don't pay taxes amongst other things.

Tho legal immigrants who pay income taxes probly do a bit more. Its a lot harder to come here illegally than legally. People use the illegal route when denied the legal one...

Pax, why on earth are you trying to draw a comparison between ILLEGAL immigrants and LEGAL immigrants? They are refused the right to come here for numerous reasons. They should be kept out. They have no right to be here.

You argument for competitiveness isnt always true. Market isnt as simple as lowest price get the sale. You have branding and distribution and technology I mean whether it costs 2$ to make a pair of shoes or 8$ does it matter when they sell for 150$? Moving to China is as much as profit margin improvement if not more so than being competitive.

Actually its your counter argument that isn't true. You seems to opperating on the reasoning that since business could afford at this time to pay higher wages they should pay higher wages to menail laborers. If they choose not to that is there choice. The labor is a dime a dozen. Its own inflation has devalued it.

Nike sells its shoes not because they are slighlty cheaper than reebok. Its utterly irrelevant in that market. They sell because of mind share plain and simple.

How on earth could you possibley say this? Nike sales a considerable more shoes then Reebok. They also make a greater profit on each shoe if what you are saying is true. So yes it does make a difference to them.

Minimum wage reform isnt about putting small biz out of biz. Its about putting food on the table thru wages and not gov subsidies.

Actually its about political support. Most workers (nonteenage labor) do not work at minimum wage. So no this has nothing to do with putting food on the table.

The fact is forcing small business to pay ridiculously high minium wage will hurt it. this is undeniable.

If a worker is needed he can be paid the extremely modest wage of 12$ an hour.

Pax if most people are being payed at this level then the minimum wage will be useless. It is a companies right to pay their employes as they please. The mere fact that menial labor is so inflated is the direct cause of devalued labor. I do not support raising their salaries beyond the market price of their labor.

Im very familiar with small biz in my town thru the local COC and the fact I also had a small biz in the past. I never knew any small biz so poor it couldnt afford such wages.

They may be able to "afford" doing this in the sense they have the money. This will fluctuate. They have the right to pay their employes what they will. The employes are the ones who have decided to accept the payments.

OPf course most dont make minimum wages and thru tips and othre income actualy make the living wage. minimum wge reforfm would ony affect a very small percentage of adults who actually make that little largely due to abusive employers...

It is obvious that minimum wage affects a very small populace of adults. This is why it is used more to garner political support then actualyl benefitting society. Workers have the ability to quit and find other jobs if they are having problems. All raising minimum wage will do is incourage even more business to put factories over seas.

Truth be told Id have a hard finding many in my town making under 10$ an hour. But there are some in some employers who gouge every red cent they can and the law would apply to them.

Why shouldn't they? its their business and they are dealing with inflated devalued labor that will only decrease in value over time as it is replaced by technology and requirements for higher end jobs.

Its a mrginal issue but probably affects the population in the single digits % range. minimum wage laws are extremely modest to begin with.

I think this is an admittion of the valuelessness of the laws themselves do to the nature of extinuating circumstances in which they apply.

To argue against such a small intervention is pretty nuts.

WHy is that? You don't feel business have the right to pay their workers what they feel is a porper salary worth their position? I think it is pretty crazy to demand businesses pay what you want them to pay you when you, in the form of labor, are a dime a dozen.

But the arguementation is based on the ideology that the market is free and not manipulated. Which it largely is.

Much like minimum wage is. It is more the legal representation of ideology that has little if any at all influence on society.

No I dont see foreign labor here lowering wages. I see foreign labor overseas lowering wages thru unemployment.

Really? You can't see paying foreign labor lower wages is one of the direct reasons for moving companies overseas?

Moving to Mexico had little effect on mindshare for the cies who moved there. Its just gouging of an opportunity to make more $ than usual.

again why is it wrong for companies to make more money?

People dont buy into Kia made in SK because its 1000$ cheaper than the well known japanese brand made locally.Its mindshare. Kia is addressing a lower market share not addressed by the jap brands but largely not competiting with the jap brand. And they cant really as jap quality and rep is way better...

Yet companies who move their companies overseas make larger profits. This is a fact.

The biggest problem menial laborers face is their lack of education. Allowing poorly educated illegal immigrants will only lead to more and more problems.

Ffreeze I understand any living wage should be adjusted for various factors and again I state this is adult living wage not teeangers\students... But 10-12 is such a low wage I cant see how it would remove incentives for those who have ambition to move up the economic ladder. even the living wage movement admits this is a poverty wages...

The question of ability also cant be ignored. Just because someone isnt born with a head for math doesnt mean they deserve to starve. Not that those with a head for math will be worth much themselves pretty soon at the current techno pace.

pax said:
Ffreeze I understand any living wage should be adjusted for various factors and again I state this is adult living wage not teeangers\students... But 10-12 is such a low wage I cant see how it would remove incentives for those who have ambition to move up the economic ladder. even the living wage movement admits this is a poverty wages...

Because minimum wage raises will not infact aid them to move up the economic ladder. What will will be their ability to educate themelves. I would rather incourage business to donate money to colleges, etc to help these people move up the ladder. THe more educated people who leave these business positions will aid those who remain by cutting down labor inflation.

The question of ability also cant be ignored.

Of course it can. Menail labor is a dime-a-dozen. Business do not have to pay devalued labor more money. These people should invest in higher education not milking companies out of more money so that in the future they can futher raise their salaries as companies who are forced to remain some what competitive have to raise their salaries even more.

Just because someone isnt born with a head for math doesnt mean they deserve to starve. Not that those with a head for math will be worth much themselves pretty soon at the current techno pace.

No they shouldn't starve. They aren't starving though are they? No, not at all. In fact what people earn in the US as "poor" wages are many times higher than that of oter countries "poor" wages.

pax,

But 10-12 is such a low wage

Do you live in a big city? $12 is not such a low wage to me, the only thing I can think of is that you live in a larger city.

Just because someone isnt born with a head for math doesnt mean they deserve to starve.

I am probably being too literal, but we are not talking about people starving. I wonder if you think that more people lack ability than I do? I wonder if you are selling people too short, or if I am giving people too much credit? (I would love to discuss this, as I find this facinating)

Dr. Ffreeze

I live in a small town. The living wage movement takes into account the basics of income needed to live in the north american market. 10-12 is the general range but it can vary. I find it pretty poor wage for NA myself.

I mean its academic. 5$ an hour means they get access to a range of gov subsidies without which they wouldnt survive well short of having 3-4 incomes per household in that range. Especially if they have families. So really what you have is other bizs subsidizing the income of other bizs thru taxes... Is that right?

Legion education is fine for those with abilities... But its not the panacea for everything short of genetic engineering and cybernetics. And even that will be meaningless as I get the impression such engineering will be far more expensive than simply making better machines. Im not preaching a post education age. I just think at some point it will be more generalistic and not needed for high end specializing as we have now.Arts will remain but technical aspects will be overtaken by machines. Its already a process underway and my cousin engineers could tell you a thing or 2 about that. Of the 5 who are engineers only 2 remain in their fields with the others moved into management... These guys are all in their early late 20's and 30's.

As for selling people I know many dont push their abilities due to lack of ambition tho negative and postive incentives are ample in the western world especially NA. Its hard to gauge abilities. IQ is a weak way to do it.

I dont know of studies that have good reports of average abilities in todays world. Only anecdotal. But I dont subscribe to the idea the majority who dont go thru colllege is because of lakc of ambition or $. Its certainly lack of ability to deal with the rich and rapidly increasing technical knowledge expected of students nowadays. I dont think we'll ever see a majority of students go from high school into University.

Pax, are you talking Canadien or American dollars?

$12 US an hour is a somewhat reasonable wage, particularly for an unskilled worker. That's $24000 a year, which is well above the poverty line in the US.

RussSchultz said:
Pax, are you talking Canadien or American dollars?

$12 US an hour is a somewhat reasonable wage, particularly for an unskilled worker. That's $24000 a year, which is well above the poverty line in the US.

Oh canuckian. But Im sure there are markets in the states that would require such a wage. Ive read of Harvard staff finally getting about 10$ up from minimum what with the huge costs of living near that University.

Here in Austin, grocery stores and fast food joints pay $9US starting.

It is admittedly expensive to live in Austin, unless you're into the whole bohemian thing (a ton of roommates, living on ramen).

Me personally, I think the real problem isn't minimum wage, its affordable/subsidized child care. Even with one spouse making $50kUS a year, its almost cheaper to have one stay home. Especially with more than one kid.

RussSchultz said:
Here in Austin, grocery stores and fast food joints pay $9US starting.

It is admittedly expensive to live in Austin, unless you're into the whole bohemian thing (a ton of roommates, living on ramen).

ahh college life.

Back