Dynamic lightmapping demo

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Time for another demo. :)
This is a demo that generats lightmaps on the GPU. It produces real soft shadows. Generating the lightmap is not quite real-time, it may take from a fraction of a second to perhaps a couple of seconds depending on hardware. But once it's generated it's very cheap to use in later frames. As a side note, comparable quality lightmaps generated on the CPU typically takes about 10-30 minutes to generate. To change the light position, click and hold the left mouse button. The longer you hold the larger the light radius will be. Once you release there will be a short pause while the new lightmap is generated.

DynamicLightmapping.jpg

Available at the usual place:
http://www.humus.ca

Well, with an OC'ed X2 4200 it is certainly as peppy as anyone could ask for. :smile:

And most definitely got the attention of my X1900XT (OC'ed to not quite XTX specs). Ramped the temp up to 91 C in a hurry and stayed there. 3DM06 doesn't even do that.

Working great on my lappy (NC6000) with dothan 2.1GHz and Redeon 9600 (64MB). However, it take almost 3-5 second while loading and about a long beep 3 second on each lighting change :smile:

Anyway, it would be nice to have a chance to turn down the light back to dark since after I got the bright light it seems I will never be able to turn it down. One more question, Can I walk in the map since I can only sway my sight around only.

Thank for a great demo again.

I get this on a radeon x1800xl. cat 6.5

---------------------------
Error
Couldn't create Direct3D device interface.
OK

Mind you the machine has become a tad unstable lately - crashed on 1st load with the Red Orchestra free week and has never got over it ( although I was able to play the game eventually)

Works great on my X1900GT. When ever I move the light source, it take a fraction of a second to recalculate it. Temps the same as Geo's, stayed a 91.

AMD64 3200+ 1GB RAM
GF6600GT 128MB PCIe
91.31 drivers

"Couldn't create RenderTarget"

Anyway, it would be nice to have a chance to turn down the light back to dark since after I got the bright light it seems I will never be able to turn it down. One more question, Can I walk in the map since I can only sway my sight around only.

Not sure I understand what you mean. Why do you want to turn the light down?
You can fly around in the map with your arrow keys (or change keys on the F1 dialog).

hmm I'm getting can't create render target 7800gtx 512

I forgot Nvidia doesn't support R16F. I uploaded a new version that uses RG16F if R16F is not supported.

I get this on a radeon x1800xl. cat 6.5

Error
Couldn't create Direct3D device interface.
OK

Mind you the machine has become a tad unstable lately - crashed on 1st load with the Red Orchestra free week and has never got over it ( although I was able to play the game eventually)

Not being able to create the device usually means either DirectX isn't installed or broken somehow, or the driver is not properly installed.

You can fly around in the map with your arrow keys (or change keys on the F1 dialog).
Oh, Thank you for kindly reply. It works now :D as I happen to try moving using mouse only :oops: The light source was only getting a bright light at the first time I tried but now it works great.

I forgot Nvidia doesn't support R16F. I uploaded a new version that uses RG16F if R16F is not supported.

Not being able to create the device usually means either DirectX isn't installed or broken somehow, or the driver is not properly installed.

Ah thank you :)

Humus, you put the capital A into Awesome. :)

But unfortunately it doesn't work on my laptop :p. Same 'cannot create render target' issue.
I'm sad to say it's a geforce 6600 Go. And thanks to nvidias wonderful support for laptops, it runs drivers from... ooo... 18 months ago. So it may be somewhat lacking in feature support I guess.

Congrats Humus, this would be a really good addition for any lightmaps based engine. Source is a good candidate, wish I could get lighting previews in a few seconds while editing map, that would be awesome. Valve uses some kind of radiosity approach for their lightmaps, would be possible something similar using SM2 or SM3 hardware for the generation process?

Congrats Humus, this would be a really good addition for any lightmaps based engine. Source is a good candidate, wish I could get lighting previews in a few seconds while editing map, that would be awesome. Valve uses some kind of radiosity approach for their lightmaps, would be possible something similar using SM2 or SM3 hardware for the generation process?

Well, just for a preview, if you don't need the full radiosity this may be easy to just plug in. It's of course possible to implement more advanced lighting models than what I've done though.

Back