Dying Light 2

Kinda mixed reception from what I'm seeing so far.
I watched one review and I've totally lost interest in this game upon learning about the UV mechanic.

Outside of sunlight, if you don't top up UV often (at most every few minutes), you die and become a zombie. I absolutely hate mechanics that are designed to make your rush through areas, from point to point because it utterly destroys my love of taking my time to explore environments. I hated the stupid 90 second filters in the Metro games for the same reason.

Why spent so much time and effort building a fantastic massive environment to explore then placing limitations that you do so only at high speed. :no:

Outside of sunlight, if you don't top up UV often (at most every few minutes), you die and become a zombie. I absolutely hate mechanics that are designed to make your rush through areas, from point to point because it utterly destroys my love of taking my time to explore environments. I hated the stupid 90 second filters in the Metro games for the same reason.
Well that sounds very disappointing. I'll have to find out more about this before possibly buying.

I watched one review and I've totally lost interest in this game upon learning about the UV mechanic.

Why spent so much time and effort building a fantastic massive environment to explore then placing limitations that you do so only at high speed. :no:
Exactly the same for me. Big MEH

XboxEra going to be streaming Dyling Light 2 soon enough, for anyone wanting to see more of it...

EDIT: They streamed around 50 minutes of the game, with no spoilers. They've now switched over to TombRaider.

The parkour was the feature I hated most about the original game. Especially that wall push-off move that got me killed dozens of times when I accidentally did it.
I loved the free form combat and I loved the grappling hook. It seems like they've removed the grappling hook from the sequel and turned the parkour up to 11.

For the few reviews I've seen, even the ones that didn't rate the game well said the game play is great but the story is meh.

That seems to confirm my greatest fears that when Chris Avallone was let go, the story lost its direction and went downhill.

Some mention the dialog being cringe-worthy and immature with some bad voice acting.

Regards,
SB

The parkour was the feature I hated most about the original game. Especially that wall push-off move that got me killed dozens of times when I accidentally did it.
I loved the free form combat and I loved the grappling hook. It seems like they've removed the grappling hook from the sequel and turned the parkour up to 11.

the hook might be an update down a progression path

Well that sounds very disappointing. I'll have to find out more about this before possibly buying.
I'll keep on eye on the PC trainer scene. Techland were really aggressive about preventing the use of trainers/mods for the original game - even in singlw-player - so I'm not hugely hopeful on this front.

It looks ok. The foliage doesn't sit properly in the scene and reminds me of Witcher 3 in that regard. The specular/translucency is just all wrong.

A rough estimation based on previous ocassions where we have a certain number of players and sale numbers from devs. Its a pretty safe bet that with around 120k users, you have a million copies sold at that moment. This game is around 203k users now. Keeping over 150k for around 15 hours now. Im 100% certain it moved more than 2 million copies on steam at this launch. And im sure in a few days techland will give sale numbers to brag a bit

How do you convert 200k in-game to 2m sold?

It's just a rough (VERY rough) guesstimate based on 2 things. Not everyone that owns a game will be playing a game at any given moment, even at launch. Historically this average out to somewhere around a 10:1 ratio give or take depending on the game (ratio could be higher or lower).

It'll give you a rough ballpark idea of how well a title sells but obviously doesn't give an accurate view of how many copies a title might have sold.

So, with 200k active users, I'd personally guestimate somewhere between 1.2 million to 1.8 million sold on Steam (it's also available on EGS, I'd guess a tenth of that on EGS at best). Activity is likely higher among owners at launch than a week or a month into a game's release, so I'd likely use a lower ratio as a basis for a guestimate this close to launch day.

Regards,
SB

But don't all these massive environment open world games have an issue in that while they can have very large macro detail and variation they don't actually have much micro detail and variety?

But don't all these massive environment open world games have an issue in that while they can have very large macro detail and variation they don't actually have much micro detail and variety?

No.
There might have been some repeated items like chests, chairs, and couches, but the first Dying Light had a large open world where every building was unique and had sufficient detail to feel like a real space. And you weren't time-crippled by an ill-advised gameplay mechanic.

I am going to guess that a lot of the changes were to keep this running well on last gen consoles. But hopefully this is the last year of cross gen games.

I am going to guess that a lot of the changes were to keep this running well on last gen consoles. But hopefully this is the last year of cross gen games.
I am really curious how games tend to get mostly downgraded rather than improved as the game approaches final release.
It is a very common trend

Back